New 2019 BMW S1000RR: Rumour, Gossip and Intrigue...

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw chris at the show. I love his reviews. The other bloke sounds just like a sales rep to me. Ditched brembo in favour of better performing bmw brakes. Yeah right! It sounds like the greatest bike ever made lol. But seriously i love the dash. It looks so cool

I will test ride it as i test most 1000s but im not looking to have a track only bike so i dont think its gonna be for me.
You obviously need to test before making full judgement but you can read alot about how a bike will behave by all the specs.

Whilst specs are great and all, nothing substitutes a test ride, not specs and certainly nothing that can be read in any publication.
I really can?t imagine BMW will have taken a step backwards in terms of riding dynamics on the new bike. As a road rider myself, I find it rather reassuring that Josef was saying BMW?s first priority was to not ruin the RR as a road bike

I saw chris at the show. I love his reviews. The other bloke sounds just like a sales rep to me. Ditched brembo in favour of better performing bmw brakes. Yeah right! It sounds like the greatest bike ever made lol. But seriously i love the dash. It looks so cool

Josef Machler is Head of Product Management for the 4 cylinder BMW motorcycles.

The current Brembo callipers are a very old design, so I can understand BMW needing to update for the Gen 4. I can?t imagine they will have used a poor product on their new flagship sport bike when historically the brakes have been a strong point. Like with any new product, we?ll have to wait and see how they perform, but one mustn?t write them off solely due to not being ?Brembo?.

?Greatest bike ever made?, well it?ll certainly be the best RR ever made, and IMO the S1000RR is already one of the best bikes ever made [emoji6]

Fully agree the dash does indeed look fantastic!

- Oli

I was just thinking I am warming to the red, goes well with Carbon.

Still want a black option.

- Alex

Im sure the brakes will be perfect. What i mean is saying its to get a better performing brake is just sales talk. Its to save costs.
I mean if you were asked when you ordered a new bike would you like bmws own calipers or brembos at no extra cost which would you choose!
Brembos are expensive and bmw are perfectly capable of making their own brakes so why not i say.
Gives them more money to spend on things like shiftcam

so unless you dont want red its about 19.5k dont know who gave the colour choice but they aint very imaginative, looks plain boring in red ,, come on bmw get a grip
It does look bland but that shot of the red one with bloke getting his elbow down looks fricking cool to me

so unless you dont want red its about 19.5k dont know who gave the colour choice but they aint very imaginative, looks plain boring in red ,, come on bmw get a grip

Whilst I agree it?s a shame BMW haven?t offered the base and Sport model bikes in at least a couple colour options, I do think the red looks good and I can understand BMW perhaps wanting to keep the M Sport in an exclusive colours scheme, like with the HP4?s.

I was just thinking I am warming to the red, goes well with Carbon.

Still want a black option.

- Alex

Red and Carbon would look very nice [emoji41]

I like it when any colour scheme has all black plastic panels replaced with carbon! [emoji12]

- Oli

Me thinks its to make you want the 19k option! Great sales tactics

Just watched the vid...definitely caught up on the configuration in the pro modes. Interesting point about the suspension, both forks are now active and damping customisation is improved, same with the rear shock, more fine grained damping control, through larger diameter damper and more upright position.

It's reassuring also to hear him say road riding was still the number 1 priority.

On the rake. We race pitbikes on kart tracks and to make the front more stable we drop the front by 15-20 mm to put weight on the front and it makes massive difference

He mentioned in the video they have moved the engine to the left by 5mm to offset the 'pulling to the right' so many people experience (myself included). First time I've seen/heard anything acknowledging this phenomenon...

Just watched the vid...definitely caught up on the configuration in the pro modes. Interesting point about the suspension, both forks are now active and damping customisation is improved, same with the rear shock, more fine grained damping control, through larger diameter damper and more upright position.

It's reassuring also to hear him say road riding was still the number 1 priority.

It would have been nice to be able to have full rebound/compression control in the forks from factory, but hopefully the new system is better than the current.
I'd also like to know what the factory spring rates are and how this shim stack system works, especially if it helps the little fellas like myself.

It wasn't totally clear if Comp and Reb were separate...my impression was that it still isn't, without a 2D Sensor.

I notice that one of the listed accessories is now a radiator guard! I wonder where that idea came from? I also notice that the oil sight glass is now on the correct side and the pillion seat lock is now in a more logical location!

It wasn't totally clear if Comp and Reb were separate...my impression was that it still isn't, without a 2D Sensor.

I read somewhere that there is now an in-built sensor in the forks.Also,I saw somewhere(!)that comp/rebound are adjustable in the pro modes.

It's good to see they have gone to split throttle bodies as everyone in WSB used them until it was decided that they had to be fully homologated,meaning BMW will be one-up on the rest of them!

I read somewhere that there is now an in-built sensor in the forks.Also,I saw somewhere(!)that comp/rebound are adjustable in the pro modes.

It's good to see they have gone to split throttle bodies as everyone in WSB used them until it was decided that they had to be fully homologated,meaning BMW will be one-up on the rest of them!

Got your order in? ;)

I asked this at the show on Sunday.

The standard setting is damping (combined) if you want to separate the compression and rebound damping, you still need the 2D sensor, so I will be keeping mine :)

The new Marzocchi forks use a cartridge as other manufactureres do, the shims can be adjusted as any other shim stack.

The DDS is 'paralell' to the cartridge, this means it can be treated separately, whereas in the current '15-'18 models the DDS is in 'series', he also said that the current DDS uses minimum and adds whereas the new one uses maximum damping and subtracts dynamically, it therefore improves the response on the track and corrects the 'dead' feel that some complain about.

I got all this from Josef Maechler who is the S1000RR Product Manager for Euroope

I also asked about the 2D GPS lap trigger, this will also still be needed if you want automatic lap timing, I believe the existing one will fit, or we may need a different adapter cable, I have asked for clarification from BMW.

Latest posts

Back