Considering trading the XR

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMD80

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've had the XR for around a year now. I bought it with the idea of doing some touring, plus the wife kept banging on about me getting a bike that she could be more comfortable on, so the XR seemed a good choice seeing that it allowed me to meet those needs and still have some fun!

Well a year on and the wife has been on the back around half a dozen times, and apart from the odd day out, I typically use the bike for commuting to work (12miles round trip) and a 1-2hr blast in the summer evenings and weekends.

The XR is a great bike, really comfortable and very quick for an adventure bike; but it doesn't make me smile when I open the garage door, and although the looks of the bike perhaps shouldn't matter that much, I think it's important to be pleased with the bike when spending ?15+k.

I've always loved the RR and even when buying the XR I was tempted to test ride the RR - but refrained from doing so knowing that I'd probably fall in love with it!

I'm now weighing up trading the XR for the RR (black and grey), but thought I'd join the forum to learn more about the pros and cons of the RR before taking the plunge.

Cheers,
Ross

Hi Ross, welcome to the forum;).

Do it!

Nothing wrong per se with the XR but the RR is grin factor both stationary and doing warp speed. You should definitely take one for a test ride.

Thanks mate. Yes, I think I need to take one out (ideally for a few hours), I'm 6'3 and I'm conscious about the bike being a bit cramped over longer periods. I'm sure I will soon get used to the riding position of the RR though.

Thanks again for the welcome.

Welcome, its one of the better bikes for a taller gent.

You can add a comfort seat for extra seat height. And HP/etc rear sets to add peg adjustment.

- Sent from Mobile

Thanks Alex. I've read that the pegs seem higher on the '17 RR (I'm not sure how accurate that is), but at least the HP rearsets will allow me to make some adjustments.

They are no different to the 15+. Best to ride one and see how you feel.
Double bubble screen will be required too imo

- Sent from Mobile

Welcome Ross, don't mess about get a gen3 RR! I sold my GSA last week through lack of use but my missus will not let me chop my S1K in for anything else as she loves going on it so much - who am I to argue :) Agree with the above get some adjustable rearsets (HP on mine) and a grabrail (Renntec) and you'll find the RR up to everything you can throw at it including 2 up in relative comfort for 300 miles a day together with the grin factor you're looking for.

Thanks MacRR. Would you say the RR is suitable for commuting (filtering especially) and low speed riding through town? I essentially want a bike that is suitable for everyday riding, as well as being fast and exciting (which I know the RR is!).

I need to speak with the dealer to see what deals can be done, I have a habit of chopping bikes in quite regularly and losing lots of cash in the process!

I don't commute on mine mate but it's very easy to manage filtering through traffic when I'm out and about, of course you have limited steering lock, but unlike pretty much any other sportsbike it is easy on the wrists and comfortable at low speed. A number of lads on here do use their S1000's for commuting so can advise you on that but I've not heard of any issues on that front on here.

Welcome to the forum RMD80!

I commute on mine and it's absolutely fine, it's actually great for filtering as the combination of foldable mirrors and clipons means squeezing through narrow gaps is easier then bikes with bars. Only limitation is switchbacks due to the limited steering lock. As MacRR says it's relatively comfortable for a sport bike, especially with adjustable rearsets and a larger screen. The wind protection is good from the not overly skinny fairings too. For reference I'm 6"2 and find the Gen 3 RR's to fit us taller gentlemen very well!

That being said, it is a super bike so if you ever intend to ride it all day then it will be more fatiguing then the XR is. I've done ~35 K miles on my 15 RR and have enjoyed every mile, so gets a massive thumbs up from me! :).

Enjoy the forum and whatever S1000 you decide on, you'll have a fantastic bike ... but we're all biased towards RR's ;)

Oli

Thanks Oli. It's very rare that I'm out on the bike all day (typically 2-3hrs), so on the rare occasion that I'm out all day I'll just have to put up with the lack of comfort compared to the XR. At least the numb hands I get on the XR won't be such an issue!

You'll have no troubles then, I'd even expect you to have enough leg room with OEM rearsets to be honest :).

If you have any issues at all with excess vibration in bars/clipons, then I'd recommend "Positive Vibes" bar ends, they're developed and sold through the forum by "GixerChuck"

I'm selling a Yamaha FZ1 because I did buy a 17 S1000RR and driving slow is worst and at very low speed the bike is hotter. But filtering is better and the pleasure driving it makes for the less confort. But for a sport bike is very comfortable. I'm very happy it it.

Welcome matey. s1000rr great bike, I use mine for commuting 40mile round trip all weathers. Great for filtering and round town . Been touring on it to LeMans twice , Assen GP , and this years Isle of Man TT. No pillion for those long journeys though so cant give advice on what the rear seats like for the other half.
20170606_150911.jpg

Welcome aboard my friend, I've nothing much to add to the comments above other than reinforcing Alex's comment regarding a double bubble, I'm 6ft and ride quite upright, a decent screen will undoubtedly be beneficial.

Thou RRs are a pleasant ride filtering, cruising or going mental on.. I doubt you will have any regrets if you buy one mate.

Enjoy the forum.

Stuart

As above - the RR is brilliant (although I'd still like an XR myself as well as a 2nd bike - let me know how much you get offered in PX so I can go beat the dealer up). I've added the double bubble screen and the comfort seat and am looking for a bargain set of rearsets to complete it. The comfort seat is worth its weight in arse de-numbing cream. I'm about 6' but short in leg and tall in trunk (ooerr missus) and find that I can ride in town and on the open road with ease on the RR.

So after a very busy summer, I finally managed to test ride the RR today. I was completely taken away by how good this bike actually is. Despite reading and watching every review I could find in magazines / YouTube, I didn't expect the bike to be quite as spectular as it is. I also test rode the R, and although that in itself is a very fun bike; when ridden back to back with the RR there is no comparison (in my opinion). I went back to the dealer and started negotiations, and although the deal being offered is good, I've still lost alot of money on my 14 month old XR if I trade now - and with my wife spending lots of my hard earned cash on an extension, I'm not sure if I can warrant trading at this moment in time.

I'm now debating on whether to hang fire and keep my XR for another few months, and see if I can grab a bargain over the Xmas period on the RR; or, keep saving the pennies and wait for the next generation RR which I believe is due out for 2019? Would it be reasonable to assume that with the next gen being released late 2018/early 2019, there should be some great deals going on the current model at some point next year? Cheers.

Latest posts

Back