Garage Flooring

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickS1K

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Happy New Year everyone.

I have been thinking about putting down some floor tiling in my garage. I have a fairly modern garage (12yo), with a concrete floor. It isn't quite smooth enough for my bike stands and mechanics chair, all of which have small castors, to move around as freely as I'd like. Tiles feel easier and cheaper than using resin or summat to smooth the floor out.

Has anyone done this, and pros and cons for me to consider.

Cheers

Hi buddy, Happy New Year to you!

@JamieMac on this forum very,very kindly gave me some used Dynotile floor tiles after he changed it all out in his double garage. I laid them in both my garage and my wife's outdoor workshop. They are tough, durable and strong and I can wheel the bikes around in the garage with relative ease. Remember they are close to 200 Kg each so, some physical pushing effort is initially required, but once you have some momentum it gets easier. My garage floor was rough and a little uneven before I started, I was originally going to screed it first and then paint the floor, but after I got the tiles from Jamie, I used a cold chisel on the slight concrete ridges the swept and vacuumed the floor before laying the tiles on a (2-3 mm) purpose made underlay fabric I got from Fleabay which properly absorbed the slight undulations when the tiles were laid. The surface is nice and smooth and doesn't "click" or "clack" when I walk on it (thanks to the underlay).

I can thoroughly recommend the brand, the black and grey tiles fit beautifully and the edge ramp tiles at the entrance to the garage are brilliant too. I bought some additional dynotile red and yellow tiles to break up the black/grey. Big Mistake as they were a slightly different size to the others and made it a real challenge to fit. Stick to the black and grey tiles, they interlock beautifully, you can install them with a rubber mallet or even with your bare hands when you get the hang of fitting them and I cut the tiles at one edge to size and lopped off the corresponding fixing tabs for the other with a chop-saw, or you can fit thin ramp tiles at one edge. Loads of YouTube videos available on how to fit them, take your time and have a think about it first, especially the dimensions.

Do it, it will take a couple of hours to fit a normal garage from start to finish. You won't regret the investment. The underlay is a must and is dirt cheap in big wide rolls.

Many thanks to JamieMac for his generosity!

@soofsayer had some flooring for sale once upon a time

Sent from my SM-S9060 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back