Disk locks?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree, I've stopped using the steering lock, as I feel its too easily bypassed and ruins the frame. If my tracker does get the bike back I would want the Chains and disc locks to be the only broken items!

- Sent from Mobile

I disagree, I've stopped using the steering lock, as I feel its too easily bypassed and ruins the frame. If my tracker does get the bike back I would want the Chains and disc locks to be the only broken items!

- Sent from Mobile

Could you please explain how the steering lock has a negative impact on the frame?

Do you mean damaging the frame in the process of breaking the lock and thus stealing the bike, or that continued use of the steering lock has a negative effect on the frame?

Could you please explain how the steering lock has a negative impact on the frame?

Do you mean damaging the frame in the process of breaking the lock and thus stealing the bike, or that continued use of the steering lock has a negative effect on the frame?

I'd also add that we "must" all honour our insurance agreements with regard to this as many insurance providers will mandate the use of a steering lock unless otherwise specified

I take the point about what an insurance company might say. The ironic thing is that the steering lock seems ineffective as it is easily broken by forcing & in the endvwhen brajen damages the frame such that a new frame is required if the lock is to function again.

+1 yes this is what I mean. A thief in breaking the lock breaks the frame. This causes it to be a write off in many cases.

- Sent from Mobile

Thanks for the replies guys, the only thing I'd "question" in this respect, is that the bike is fully insured and therefore it's the insurance companies problem about frame damage, not ours ... ?

And they are easily bypassed whereas a chain and disc lock are significantly harder...

- Sent from Mobile

The reason I like the Roadlok is primarily as previously mentioned in that it is permanently attached to the bike. I therefore don't need to carry or even remember to carry a disc lock. I don't always want to put the tank bag on to carry a disc lock and I would never carry one in a pocket due to the potential injuries it could cause in a fall. Because I always have it I find I use it, especially for those short stops when I pop into town etc. Also unlike a disc lock you cannot damage your bike as it will not allow the wheel to rotate. If you forget to unlock it and try and ride away the only thing that will happen is the engine will stall. I have not noticed any difference in the weight on one side of the wheel and I also changed the steel bolts to titanium ones to reduce the weight. It wasn't cheap but will be transferable to another bike in the future by changing the spacers and bolts. I'm pleased with it and it does give me piece of mind. I wouldn't solely rely on it for security if I was parking the bike up away from home when touring, so I complement it with an Almax chain and Squire padlock. You can never stop a determined thief but this will stop those who would easily snap a steering lock and wheel your bike away.

- Sent from Mobile[/QUOTE]

Nice write up on the RoakLok, I'm very tempted by one for all of the above reasons.

With regard to theft, the more security the better as at the end of the day it's about deterring opportunistic thieves.

In future I'll try and get a policy which doesn't "require" the use of a steering lock for the above mentioned frame damage

Ricky I'm interested in the roadlok, can you provide where you purchased it from?

I've used a Xena xx14 for some time now and whilst it's a great lock I'm on the 3rd alarm module, they work fine until they get wet. If it's installed at the top of the disc the sensor is sheltered from the rain but this makes the alarm more sensitive resulting in false alarms, if you install it lower on the disc -less false alarms but prone to get wet....I find the alarm very sensitive and only fit it 5 mins after a ride as the slightest movement can trigger it ie exhaust cooling down (when you get a few clicks)–!

I think any disc lock is a good deterrent.
My only decent bit of advice is to get one of those neon coloured coiled reminders to attach to your bars, so you don't forget you were smart enough to fit a disc lock............

Just bought one of these Xena xx14 after all of you say it's pretty good

I think any disc lock is a good deterrent.
My only decent bit of advice is to get one of those neon coloured coiled reminders to attach to your bars, so you don't forget you were smart enough to fit a disc lock............

Yes I agree. I destroyed my front mudguard like a proper dufus during a fuzzy early start one morning on the way to a TD at Donny. I blame the beer and curry from the night before. Got away lightly all things considered.

Yes I agree. I destroyed my front mudguard like a proper dufus during a fuzzy early start one morning on the way to a TD at Donny. I blame the beer and curry from the night before. Got away lightly all things considered.

Oh god!
I used to work with someone who forgot he had a disk lock on as well and literally went to drive off and fell sideways!

Latest posts

Back