Worried!!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daz_rr

Reaction score
Hi all my s1000rr (60 plate) has developed a worrying clicking/ ticking noise almost like a sewing machine would make, coming from beside my where my left knee sits, have done some research on forums and through Google and sounds like it could possibly be worn camshaft? Or noisy cam chain tensioner?

Bike only has 3800 miles on the clock with 2 service stamps by bmw ( 630 miles, 1500 miles) only just bought the bike a few weeks ago ( private sale)

Got it booked into bmw next week for a diagnosis, I'm just a bit worried as to what they are going to come up with!

If it was needing major work obviously it's out of warranty, but would there be a claim for goodwill gesture from bmw due to the bike having done only 3800 miles?

Any help and advice is appreciated

Daz

Exhaust butterflies, common problem on them

Really? It's really putting me off riding it, sounds horrible however bike rides perfect. had a few friends commenting on it as its really noticeable ! Can hear it all the time but obviously the faster you go the wind noise cancels it out but around town it's terrible
Can they be replaced?

while your bike is running use a piece of wood to press on the spring for the butterflies on the hedders it should go quiet

while your bike is running use a piece of wood to press on the spring for the butterflies on the hedders it should go quiet

Ok il try that tomorrow, is it easy enough to get at? Coz I dunno what I'm looking for 🙈

Ok so spent a bit of time today and it's not the exhaust butterflies.
One of my friends came down to have a listen to it tonight and he races s1000rr''s at professional level so he's really clued up on these bikes.

Says it definitely sounds like cam shaft issues 😢

Bike is going into bmw for them to diagnose the problem officially, does anyone know where I stand regarding goodwill gesture as the bike is out of warranty?

A bike like this with less 3800 miles on the clock should not have worn cams surely!

Personally, always found bmw have been good with goodwill gestures, especially with that mileage. See what the diagnoses comes up with.

Update for anyone interested....

BMW called today to say bike has been stripped, and the cause of all this is as I suspected.....
Worn lobes on both camshafts plus rocker arms. He wasn't sure exactly how many of the rocker arms were needing replaced as of yet

He is putting my case forward for a goodwill gesture repair, he said BMW are usually pretty good.

Parts costs 2 x camshafts @ ?300 each
Rocker arms @ ?61 each and there's 16 of them obviously

So the guts of ?1600 just for parts, the labour probably won't be far off that either.

Here's hoping I get a positive result 😬😬😬

Hope you get a result Daz. Sounds a bit like your seller knew this or mileage been tampered with. Good luck.

Hope you get a result Daz. Sounds a bit like your seller knew this or mileage been tampered with. Good luck.

Cheats pal, mileage is definitely genuine but I agree with you, I'm sure he must have known. BMW tech said no way this has happened over the course of 100 miles ( all Iv done on the bike). There was a very faint ticky noise when I bought it but didn't sound like anything to be overly worried about. But it got progressively worse and worse. Bike had been sitting for 9 months in storage and I just thought it sounded like it needed w good service. And I know these BMW engines are known to be a bit more "rattly" and not as smooth as their Japanese rivals.

Crap way to start ownership. But on the plus side lots of bits will be nice and fresh now. Hope BMW sort you out.

Sorry to hear about your bike issues. I believe what goes around etc... if he knew he was selling a dud he will pay, if not, it's one of those things. On the bright side, you're going to love to bike so much more when it's properly sorted :).

Well just had the dreaded phone call and I'm delighted to announce

BMW are paying for the parts = around ?1700

Also paying for all the labour ( around 10 hours)

All they want me to pay is for a service which is fine as it keeps up the service history (the bike was needing anyway, obviously includes the new oil once repaired so all in all Iv to pay around ?200 of a ?2500 bill!!

And the repair will be warranted and on file now so if the same thing happens again a few years down the line BMW will sort it

Bike should be ready end of next week,
Absolutely ecstatic with the result

Top service, Well done BMW! 😄😄😄

Excellent news.... good to hear of BMW sorting it out buckshee . Faith restored .

Cheers guys, hopefully this thread will help other unfortunate owners who may encounter the same problem, Its not the first and I'm sure it won't be the last case regarding worn camshafts. It was a gamble putting it into BMW as I know they certainly ain't cheap, was beginning to lose faith and interest in my new bike but now I can't wait to get it back next week and enjoy it 😝

glad to here they have sorted it, I think some of the early bikes did suffer with soft cams and they were replaced under warrenty

Back