Won't start

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickS1K

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
It's my own fault, I haven't started her up since mid November, and I forgot to share the trickle charger (which was on my other bike...). I think its just a battery issue, can anyone confirm?

.... I went to give the engine a (stationary) run today. It seemed to start up fine, lights on etc, but just got a slightly pathetic cough and shudder when I tried to start the engine. I'm going to put it on charge...just as soon as I find the leads - I have the BMW charger, but it comes with a canbus connection as standard (which fits my K13), and I've mislaid the canbus to croc clips that I need for the RR.... does this sounds like a simple battery issue?

The only other option I have is to use jump leads, but I'm pretty sure I've heard that's not advisable for bikes?

Cheers

Rick

The gen3 doesn't like not having a fully charged battery, running then cutting out for example. I had this on mine a couple of winters ago. Get the battery fully charged, also check the terminals and connections are all in good shape, as this is also a known problem area, and hopefully all should be well.

Cheers guys. My RR is Gen 2. but I don't suppose that matters.

I'm sitting here at work convinced that I need to find croc clips for the charger... am I going about this the wrong way? -Does the RR have a canbus input somewhere? Can't see it mentioned in the manual, but surely BMW techs plug into the bike?

Batteries last 3 years. So if they are older than that expect to need a change especially after its been pancaked.

- Sent from a magical lightbox

Batteries last 3 years. So if they are older than that expect to need a change especially after its been pancaked.

I'd suggest removing battery & charging fully. If it wont charge or doesn't hold charge, then as Alex says first thing I'd do is buy a new one.

The plug numbered 6 on Jays post is a quick connect canbus plug for charging the battery in situ. The K series had this port, the rr does not.

Happy to report my S1000RR Battery lasted all the 8 years of ownership and hopefully the new owner doesn't need to change it anytime soon.

Cheers buddy , thought as much.

Np. Its the same principle as the active cigarette lighter sockets on some cars so you can charge the car battery through the lighter socket. The canbus 'bit' of the puzzle simply shuts off the charge when it detects the battery is full and requests a charge when the battery starts to drain, which is what a good trickle charger would do anyway, so I think BMW reinvented the wheel somewhat.

Personally I use a C-tek with the convenience plug hardwired to the battery on all my bikes.

I've never paid for a new battery, but I think the dealer gave me one under warranty..can't remember why...

Anyway, after turning my garage upside down last night, I found the missing part (#10), and the bike is now charged and starts up fine. The charger now says it's running in maintenance mode. As soof says, connecting up a K is so much easier and means the bike doesn't need to spend the winter with the seat off (bet I lose that too....). Soof, what's this convenience plug - is it this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CTEK-Comf...I6Mywic28iOjE1MDAsImMiOjI1NjQ1fQ==&rmvSB=true

..and that sits under your seat permanently?

Ah, so you still need to take the pillion seat/cowling off to charge (and I guess that tiny wire would fit even if you have an alarm)...but that's less of an arse than taking the rider seat off...might need to look into that. Especially as I've now swapped the K for an S1R, so have to charge both bikes this way now

I think Ill need to look into getting a new trickle charger along with the convenience plug. I tend to start mine every few weeks, run it for 2/3 mins. I give it a few revs but always wary of doing so as the bike is in the garage and the echo sounds like thunder, don't want all the neighbors thinking am some sort of weirdo out in middle of winter revving the tits of the bike for no reason!

I think Ill need to look into getting a new trickle charger along with the convenience plug. I tend to start mine every few weeks, run it for 2/3 mins. I give it a few revs but always wary of doing so as the bike is in the garage and the echo sounds like thunder, don't want all the neighbors thinking am some sort of weirdo out in middle of winter revving the tits of the bike for no reason!

It's also not good to heat metal in humid UK air for no good reason. By running it you invite condensation to form in the exhaust, on the sump etc. Best to do nothing till you want to use it. So yes the battery conditioner is safest.

I got over that a long time ago - I don't do it that often (I tend towards Alex's thinking) but neighbours are used to me now :)

Ah, so you still need to take the pillion seat/cowling off to charge (and I guess that tiny wire would fit even if you have an alarm)...but that's less of an arse than taking the rider seat off...might need to look into that. Especially as I've now swapped the K for an S1R, so have to charge both bikes this way now

Yes, its easy peasy to sort out and the plug fits even with the alarm box (which is my hp4 setup). So all you have to do after a ride is take the pillion seat/cowl off and plug in the charger. Alternatively you could mount the plug somewhere where it is available without any effort, if you find a suitable spot please share as i cant find anywhere that works other than as described, everything I can think of is either; in the way/unsightly/going to get wet.

Alternatively you could mount the plug somewhere where it is available without any effort, if you find a suitable spot please share as i cant find anywhere that works other than as described, everything I can think of is either; in the way/unsightly/going to get wet.

Just in case this is helpful, I have the lead for my Gerbing heated kit directly connected to my battery and exits out the gap on the left side lower tank panel.

If you have a carbon or black panel, this would be particularly discrete

17ea2269e229151a1074a66fca7a58c2.jpg

Latest posts

Back