What would you do?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_jim

Reaction score
Long story which I'll try and cut short.

Bought a 63 plate S1000RR Sport from a BMW main dealer back in March. 8000 miles. ?10500

Noticed a rattle straight away but as the bike had been stood in the showroom over Winter I thought it might just need using. The did do a service on the bike prior to me collecting it.

Anyway, I let them know and took it back for them to listen to. Mechanic said he thinks it's the butterfly valve in the exhaust, but need to keep it to strip it down. The kept the bike, and I got it back the same week with what they said was a ?2000 replacement exhaust from header to cat.
Happy days I thought.

Expect the rattle was still there.

One day on my way home from work I smelt clutch. I was sat in 6th at a cruising speed. Thought it must have been a nearby car.
Few days later, whilst traveling at high speed on the motorway, I smelt it again. This time it was 6am and not many cars about. When slowing to come off the motorway, the bike wouldn't change gear. Clutch lever pulled to the bar, and it was as if it was engaged.
Slowed down to a near stop and for some reason, all was ok and I changed down and got to work ok.

Emailed BMW and they said to bring it in.

They have had it 2 weeks now and after a few days, said they think hm the gearbox is notchy, and that the rattle did sound like it was coming from the clutch, but he thinks the problem is from within the gearbox.
Now 2 weeks later, they still haven't stripped it down to see what's wrong.
I am on a courtesy bike, but I've really fell out of love with my bike and all this hassle.
I had a new RR for a few days but had to take it back as it was booked out for a test ride, I'm now on an R1200R which isn't a very nice bike.
I asked about a deal for a new RR, and they want ?6000 o top. I can't afford that.

Awesome weather were having and I have no desire to go for a ride with this courtesy bike. This is the weather I bought the RR for!

All my mates say to get my money back, but I'm pretty sure it's not as easy as that!

Well for whats its worth Jim.. I wouldnt be happy....I always think you need 100pc confidence in your machine... typically on a hard run....your heads got to be on the road and traffic not mechanical issues.. doesnt really help or does it ? Fit for purpose and sale of goods act comes to mind mate...im no expert...what about Immortal hes got some legal experience has he not...

Last edited:
Biggest problem buyin bmw I find your buying off mainly car dealerships I stil prefer a bike shop with bike mechanics . Personally I'd be looking for s diff bike to much to early for my liking

Hi fella. Your right, it's not as easy as that. Sorry to hear about your problems.

The dealership have given you a loan bike so you are not without transportation. It's a busy time of year for bike garages so not looking at your bike for 2 weeks is understandable (bad customer service and poor communication still doesn't help). So they have met their basic obligations.

So what to do? First off I'd ask when they are going to look at the bike and fix it, and ask for another sthou for the duration of the time your bike is going to be with them. I'd say you don't feel right on the R1200 and bought the sthou because it was the bike that suited you (you could always say you have back issues so the sthou is the only bike you found that wasn't a problem riding). If they can't do that then say you'll need to take some legal advice as the bike is not fit for purpose (it has a fault), until they can prove otherwise.

Then you move on to formally rejecting the bike in writing under the sale of goods act and requesting a full refund or an identical swap within 7 days, or the bike returned in full working order.

I'd stay very calm and polite during the process and see if you can get a nice demo sthou whilst you are waiting. You don't want to get to formally rejecting the bike if you can avoid it.

To be honest, they had no problem giving me a new demo RR but I had to take it back due to the test ride they had booked.
Although I don't like the R1200, it's a bike and gets me to work etc, and they have had no trouble in saying they would get it fixed under warranty.

It's just that I've lost the love for it and hoped they might be more generous with it in px for a new one.

Hoping I'll fall back in love with it when I get it back, but so far, I'm not happy.

Having the new RR probably didn't help me either because it awesome! Really want one now!!

You paid 2000 to fix a bike you just bought for a problem that was not fixed after all. Then another problem appeared and they say they will cove it under warranty?
Why was the first time not in warranty? Hope your problem will be solved soon enough. I would have returned the bike and then wait until I have the money for another, possible new, bike.

I'm with Soof and Stuart on this, staying polite and steadfast is definitely the way to behave.

Good luck with it all.

JimmyMac

Just had an email from BMW
They said it has been stripped down and found damage to the clutch basket and clutch plates. They have ordered these but say the parts are on back order so will be another week.

Very annoying that it's happened and I understand you have lost faith in the bike and that you're scooting around on a demo when available.
I think that they are only obliged to fix it and hand it back but I would speak again to the manager/ dealer principal and raise your concerns calmly and politely as has been said before.
I had a similar situation so I know how you feel, see if you can work out a better deal for yourself and have it clear in your mind what you are willing to accept/ spend to upgrade.
If puting more money in the pot really isn't an option then I think you will have to accept the bike back.

I could put more money in, but ideally, I didn't want to spend more than ?10,000 on a bike.

Think I'm just goin to get it back once they have fixed it and hope it's the end of the saga. If it still has problems, I will look at changing it.

Just to update.
Got the bike back yesterday. Touch wood it seems fixed! Had an awesome ride to work on it and feeling happy again.
Just about to go to work on it now but it's pi55ing down with rain :nightmare:

Latest posts

Back