What Cam

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartb

Reaction score
This has likely been covered a few times... But as technology moves on dont suppose it will do anyharm to cover it today...Im seeing Cams on sale everywhere....today for example.....Aldi..GO outdoors..and Halfords...the one in go looked really robust and was only 60 quid..

When you Google...there's loads...its confusing...anyhow I want one...who's got what and any recs

Depends what you want it for? I've just gone with a roadhawk bullet cam as a permanent fixture for commuting but if I was wanting something for 'fun' I think it would be the go pro hero 4. Then there are the track bias setups with telemetry.....

Am wanting some action shots. We've great roads up here soofsayer loch Lomond is 5 minutes from my door... Suppose just want good clear images n secure mounting...where do u mount the cam.

you have to ask yourself the question first, what do you need the camera to do?

If you need Steven Spielberg quality and money is no object then by all means go for the Go Pro 4

But..........

Apart from some flashy extra bits like being able to record in 4K (you need something that will display it back at that resolution to be able to benefit from it) or super slow motion stuff that most people never ever bother with after trying once, there is very little difference between something at the top end like the GoPro and right down at the cheaper end like the SJ4000 or it's even cheaper Chinese copies (which out perform lots of the inbetween market).

For what it's worth the only variations in picture tend to be a slight variation in colour or brightness and the clarity when the brightness of what is being filmed changes quickly, but again ask yourself where you are going to actually view what has been recorded, most tend to throw it up on youtube which will compress the video and you never truly get what you have recorded then anyway.

I ended up with a Drift Ghost S as at the time it was ?100 cheaper than the GoPro 3 and could be picked up cheaper from FC-Moto.de than anywhere else in the UK, It is also a bit more streamlined than your average GoPro unit (although it is about the same size) and fits nicely on the side of my helmet or on the side of the fairing instead of sticking out like something from the top of a Telly Tubbies head.

But realistically for what they still cost, I could buy 3 or 4 of the SJ4000 units and stick them all over the bike, or at the very least have one at the front and rear for and still be paying less than half of the cost of a Drift or GoPro and it would also come with far more attachments.

I wouldn't be out of pocket as much if I lost it either.

Spending more on action cameras definitely doesn't always mean you are getting the best quality, particularly when paying 200% more may only mean you are getting a camera that records a 5% clearer picture.

you have to ask yourself the question first, what do you need the camera to do?

If you need Steven Spielberg quality and money is no object then by all means go for the Go Pro 4

But..........

Apart from some flashy extra bits like being able to record in 4K (you need something that will display it back at that resolution to be able to benefit from it) or super slow motion stuff that most people never ever bother with after trying once, there is very little difference between something at the top end like the GoPro and right down at the cheaper end like the SJ4000 or it's even cheaper Chinese copies (which out perform lots of the inbetween market).

For what it's worth the only variations in picture tend to be a slight variation in colour or brightness and the clarity when the brightness of what is being filmed changes quickly, but again ask yourself where you are going to actually view what has been recorded, most tend to throw it up on youtube which will compress the video and you never truly get what you have recorded then anyway.

I ended up with a Drift Ghost S as at the time it was ?100 cheaper than the GoPro 3 and could be picked up cheaper from FC-Moto.de than anywhere else in the UK, It is also a bit more streamlined than your average GoPro unit (although it is about the same size) and fits nicely on the side of my helmet or on the side of the fairing instead of sticking out like something from the top of a Telly Tubbies head.

But realistically for what they still cost, I could buy 3 or 4 of the SJ4000 units and stick them all over the bike, or at the very least have one at the front and rear for and still be paying less than half of the cost of a Drift or GoPro and it would also come with far more attachments.

I wouldn't be out of pocket as much if I lost it either.

Spending more on action cameras definitely doesn't always mean you are getting the best quality, particularly when paying 200% more may only mean you are getting a camera that records a 5% clearer picture.

Ive just found a site with the SJ4000 for ?25, how good are these ? I've got a cheapy I got from Aldi a while back for about ?40. Very similar to the SJ , when I play it back it " stutters " if that makes sense. I only want it for the TT next year as I'm not really into this self incrimination thing but I don't want to spend a fortune.

Chances are at that price it will be the Chinese copy of the SJ4000 I imagine as most of the SJ4000's I have seen tend to be around ?50 but that is not to say it isn't the same one.

Plenty of reviews on the SJ4000 on the web but I know someone that was that happy with having bought one, they went and bought another so they could have one at both ends of their bike :excitement:

At ?25 what have you got to lose over a camera that will undoubtedly cost at least ?100 to just give you peace of mind on the brand name, again look at some of the big names but don't go for the top of the range one if you only want it to watch 720p video (which is what most people end up setting them to for processing the actual footage.

I personally use 720p at 60fps which is good enough for youtube and my garbage video editing skills :smile-new:

Disregarding the poor lines I was taking given that I had never ridden Knockhill before, this was filmed at 720P @ 60fp and i am more than happy with the quality of it, that was with a Drift Ghost S but most cameras are capable of that resolution anyway.

(i put music over it because i had a really bad external microphone fitted that picked up too much wind noise)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlA3dzVZuAI

http://www.techmoan.com

this guy does a lot of reviews for cams and has the SJ on there, I think he even does a comparison video against a go pro, I actually have a SJ wifi cam got it from Singapore last year but to be honest I've not really used it! comes with a tonne of accessories etc and can't really fault the quality, I have a app on phone to watch play back and can even operate camera remotely from app.

Cheers Mick....and beavis. Great info... Just looking for decent images and want a balance between cost result and size etc.. Came across yet another in maplins...looks good....lol. Ffs. Here I go again

I don't see the point of going beyond 1080 and I always record at 960/60 on my Drift Ghost-S. 960 is enough for YouTube. And the additional frame speed helps with detail.

What I'd like is a way to mount 1 looking forward and 1 pointing back on my pillion pegs...

4K is here people. Get the Hero 4 black.

it's not just the watching it in 4K, it's the processing of the video, you certainly wouldn't be able to show it in 4K on anything other than your own screen at home as Youtube compresses everything too :)

4K may be here but it's a long way off before it is going to be supported properly and it certainly doesn't warrant the GoPro prices when there are other cameras out there that do everything but the 4K for a fraction of the price :)

I don't see the point of going beyond 1080 and I always record at 960/60 on my Drift Ghost-S. 960 is enough for YouTube. And the additional frame speed helps with detail.

What I'd like is a way to mount 1 looking forward and 1 pointing back on my pillion pegs...

You can buy a GoPro adaptor for the Drift, that way you can use all the GoPro attachments to make it easier attaching the camera to different places that the Drift attachments don't allow for.

Hmmm I'm going to look up that Argos deal... howvere I'm starting to like the smaller bullet styles... easier to mount I would think and defo more discreet...I'm going to start a thread about the legality thing

Lovin the 4k video on my telly. Quality is so good I can see rubber coming off the tyre on the bike in front of me.

Latest posts

Back