Tyres for my S1000RR

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ross –just curious – why did you not like the M5’s? I’ve not tried them but had planned on fitting them next. I’m now having a re think!
Doc - when I binned my bike the insurance did not check the tyres. They were not ones recommended by the manufacturer – perhaps I just got lucky?

That's interesting old wobbler, it was a mate of mine who told me when his friend binned his bmw the first thing the assessor checked was if his tires were those recommended for his bike, the other thing is my hp4 has a 200/55 zr 17 on the back and the other recommended tyres are 190s do you know if it would make much difference if I changed to a 190 rear

oldwobbler. The M5's just didn't seem to give the grip on very edge of tire (no chicken strips at all), also in the wet I would already be at work (about 8 miles) before they'd got enough heat in them.

So far out of what i've personally tried on my S, the Rosso 2's were instantly like glue even in the wet, but its a soft compound and I had to replace after 900 miles. Using the Hypersport S20's currently, almost 1000 miles on them and no sign of wear, but they do take 5 minutes to warm up enough to feel confident on them.

Doc –not sure what difference you would see between a 200 section tyre and a 190. From an insurance point of view if the tyres you had on were the correct sizeand speed rating you should be fine. It should be the same with cars? But insurance companies can be picky tw@ts and if they can get out of paying then they may start looking in detail. All I know is they did not even look at my tires other than the tread. They were not ones on the manufactures list (not anS1k at the time). I really struggle to get past your avatar btw J!

Ross –thanks. I’m on a trip round Europe end of the month – 3200 miles in total – I need a rear that will cope with that. Don’t fancy having to find somewhere to replace a tyre for me half way through!

personally I dont mind the BT16pro's at all !
...got 2400 miles from the rear which was brand new when I got the 8 month old bike
never had any issue with them - I'm not the fastest of riders, but run it in RACE mode always and dont have chcken strips on the back (tiniest ones on the front) ...can KD on roundabouts with ease and full confidence in the tyres
Ive just fitted another 16 on the back to last till the front wears out - not sure which tyres I'll go for next ....Road 2 or 3 are likely suspects tho

Hi Bob, is it the Pilot Power 2CT,s you use? I think I will have to change my order with HM Racing and get them to order me some 2ct,s based upon your recommendation . Cheers

Lets be honest, all we like to think of ourselves as master riders, but the sad truth is that most of us will never push a tire past it's limit, so i think we all stick with the first tire (per each new bike) that gives us that extra bit of confidence.

The Rosso 2 was first tyre on S1000 that I had my knee down with. On my ZX9 it was a BT16 then after that first knee down it just followed along with every tire even when using a set of AVON's.

A friend got a pair of Maxxis Diamonds for free on his R6, he's had three sets in a row now... God aweful tire in my opinion.

Rosso 2's
I tend to ride it to work through the summer so need something a little hard wearing , I also have to take the wife for her annual ride out :/

I wouldn't go for Rosso 2 then, mine only lasted me just over 900 miles, front and back both worn. Front bolder than rear.

Not used the PR3, On a set of Bridgestone S20's at moment, hard compound, almost on 1000 miles with them and no sign of wear. They just take 5 minutes riding to get enough heat in them to be confident on them.

I will say for the Rosso 2 that although mine wore after 900 miles, I do ride hard and am 'a little on the heavy heavy side' (6'2 and 140kg geared up) so rear tyre goes flat then wears quickly and when im putting my weight on front end to corner...well its alot of weight lol.

It's a cheap tyre for the rear, £130 around my way so for that price you might as well try it.

Are the s20 good in the wet Ross? The reviews IVe read say S20 handle better tha 016 pro but 016 pro are better in the wet.

I’ve got the 016’s on mine and really don’t like them! And they feel progressively worse as they wear. I think this whole thread just goes to show how feel with a tyreis a personal thing. I’ve always liked Sportsmarts but fancied a change to the M5’s due to good reports. Might stick to the Sportsmarts.

Think my heads about to explode lol, when ready for changing the Pirelli Diablo super corsa sp that came fitted to my hp4, do I go for the same again ( not good in the wet ) or do i go for s20, sportsmart,M5s,pilot power super sport? It's a nightmare, I just want a good reasonable fast road tyre that's good in the wet with reasonable longevity, no track day on it, so this should have been a fairly easy choice- but NO, every time I ready more and more about the choice of tyre I get more and more confused!!!!! Is there anyone who's tried most of the above tyres and what's the verdict?

S20's ok in wet after 10 minutes to get enough heat into them. S20's better than K3's in wet. I didn't like the M5's.

Out of the 5 different tyres i used, the best for grip wet and dry were the Rosso 2. Also being the cheapest of the 5 I can't complain about them. Admittedly they didn't last long, but i'm a heavy guy for any tyre to survive with especially a softer compound like the Rosso2

There is a distinct loss of feel going from the harder compound to the softer shoulders when tipping in and the profile doesn't give a progressive roll over. I usually manage to scrub tires to the edge on the road but even with the Germany hairpins I just can't with these. The ride quality is poor even compared to Dunlop GPs which have a stiff carcass. Looks like they won't wear out quickly either which isn't a plus point for me. Should have bunged some K3s back on.

Latest posts

Back