Tyre review Metzeler Michelin Dunlop

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GixxerChuck

Forum Vendor
Reaction score
I'm now on my 4th set now so feel able to comment.
Metzeler Racetec K3. 5700 miles. Dry roads - Sticky and predictable all they way to the edge. Nice quick predictable turn in. Good grip from the off regardless of temperature. Good feel under braking. Not ideal in the wet but do a good enough job. Nice even wear rate all across the tyre.
Metzeler M7RR. 9000 miles. Dry roads - Good all round in all temperatures but felt vague, especially when pushing on a bit. Felt squidgy when braking hard. Solid and predictable in the wet, only letting go when asking a lot of them. Again good even wear rate but starting to v and ridge on the edges.
Michelin Pilot Road 4. 9000 miles. Dry roads - again, good all round and slightly grippier than the M7RR. Slightly vague again especially from the front, occasionally felt as if it was sliding. Rear squats under hard acceleration when on the side. Good in the wet but not as confidence inspiring as the M7RR. Nothing really stands out good or bad under braking. Squared off markedly more than the Metzelers.
Dunlop Sportsmart 2. Just fitted about 300 miles done so far. Great feel in both wet and dry. Fast predictable turn in and solid feel even under heavy braking. Front end feel much better than M7RR and PR4. Drives forwards with any acceleration. DTC deals with slight looseness when accelerating hard in the wet.
Had 90 degree valves fitted as well. So much easier to check than normal valves.
My ranking
1 Racetec
2 Sportsmart 2
3 M7RR
4 PR4
Get the feeling if I wrote this in 3 weeks time the Sportsmart might jump up a spot.
If you haven't discovered them yet try https://www.tyreleader.co.uk or http://www.moto-tyres.co.uk/Motorbike_Tyres.html for cheap tyres. I then pay ?30 at my local tyre place for fitting to loose wheels.

Last edited:
Good write up there Gixxerchuck... i'm a convert to these M7RRs..but based on your comments the Dunlops or Racetecs have my attention..thanks for sharing

Stuart

Had the sportsmart 2s on now for 2000 miles and have been excellant. I commute during the week in all weathers and have a good "bimble about" at the weekend. Only time ive had the rear let go was crossing a white line in the wet whilst hard on it. Loads of life left in it and it isnt squaring off yet unlike the power 3s i had on before

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

How did you manage to get 5700 miles out of the RR's, I had a set and both where gone after a 1000miles.
but yes the dunlop are good, if you do a few track days the dunlop 211GP are a very good road and track tyre.

211 any good on rd ? I had 212 one ended up low sliding mind u it was September on rds

Haha i had 212s on for 3 mnths and it was errrr "interesting"

I run mine at 18r and 32f generally. On the road i will up it just to try and get some heat in them. Now i have a dedicated track bike i wont bother trying the 212s on road again. Brilliant on track like othets have mentioned (just bought 2 more sets today for aragon) but the sportsmarts are more than good enough on the road

Yes the 211 are fine on the road (I've only use them in the summer). Dunlop yes their meant for the road but the 212 do need tyre warmers. but if your not going to do any track days I would go for road tyres

Latest posts

Back