Tyre longevity and planning a trip

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kipperfish

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I've got the Bridgestones on my '15 RR from new.
So far I've done about 1,500 miles, but have a trip to Germany planned in June and will be doing between 1,500 and 2,000 miles.

It will likely have 2,000 miles on the clock before I set off, so my question is.... Do you think that I'll need to change my tyres before my trip?

Depends.
How aggressive you are on the throttle.
How heavy you are, and your kit. (no offence)
Which Bridgestones they are (BT016's I assume)
What they look like after 1,500 miles.

Most seem to rate (in no particular order); Michelin PR4's, Metzler M7RR's, Conti Sport 2's, Dunlop SportSmart2's for longer trips. The BT016's do appear to wear out faster, but again it's rider/use dependent.

I would just put a new rear on before you go......job done

and one less thing to worry about

Thanks guys.

How aggressive you are on the throttle. - I'd say I'm fairly mechanically sympathetic most of the time.
How heavy you are, and your kit. (no offence) - I'm 99kgs + kit
Which Bridgestones they are (BT016's I assume) - Battlax S20 EVO
What they look like after 1,500 miles. - They look pretty fresh, although I can't find the wear indicator on the tread!

Normally find you can get 3000 miles out of rear but 4000 you may see the wire particularly motorway work. Germany will be fast!

What they look like after 1,500 miles. - They look pretty fresh, although I can't find the wear indicator on the tread!

Just been away for a few days with a mate who had those tyres on and we couldn't find the bars on the tread either.
I am about to change my M7RR rear (and front) after 4000+ miles, great tyre.
You could always take the wheels to a fitter and get the tyres changed but keep the Bridgestones and have them put back on when your new ones expire if they seem ok?

Back