Traction Control / ABS Debate

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niven770

Reaction score
Question,

Does the ABS and or Traction Control activate because you have lost traction or do they activate to prevent you losing traction ?

I think it is to prevent you losing traction otherwise there would be no need for different modes.

What do you think ?

regards
Davy

Good question , you wouldn't have thought it could be predictive rather than reactive
I would have thought the sensors couldn't predict the future , but ya never know

I would think its more like an almost instant reaction to a number of variables like speed, wheel rotation from the ABS, Lean angle etc.

Mine keeps shutting the bike down for a second or two the it goes into fault BMW have looked at it but cant seem to find the fault, so Fook it I ride with it off !

If it reacts to a loss of Traction why are there different modes ? If Traction is lost, it's lost and it will react surely. So no need for the other modes ?

I don't think it's predicted, I think it's calculated (using all the variables you mention and a formula from the boffins). For example at this lean angle in the RAIN with road tyres the system says "you will lose traction" if you do that and it prevents you from doing so. Likewise in RACE, SPORT and SLICK. It will allow you to do more before it intervenes, for example with "SLICKS" the calculation says you will not lose traction so easily so you can do more.

I don't know I'm just curious.

Regards
Davy

Last edited:
I havent had mine for long but I thought it was a bit of both. If you lose traction its goi

It doesnt prevent you from losing traction, it stops the loss of anymore traction when you lose it. The more you turn it down/up rain through to slick the more it lets go. More accomplished riders like the slide to steer the bike. (still working on that one !) I believe lean angle sensor cuts down the amount of power the more angle yr creating. Having said that, nothing will stop the loss of traction if you ride off the side of a tyre lol

A few years ago I worked on a rear wheel drive car that had an active diff. The control software I wrote used a reference model of how the standard vehicle behaved without diff intervention. The inputs to the model were parameters available as standard on the cars can bus. The reference model was developed through just driving about performing various manoeuvres and logging the behaviour. When the system was active the diff intervened if the car handling didn't match the reference model. You could dial-in how much the system intervened and when. I'd have thought the s1000 system would follow similar lines.

Cheers

Definitely loss of traction as already stated, in slick it is dependant on lean angle. Dont confuse the anti wheelie that sometimes kicks in due to wheel speed differences, traction seems to be less intrusive and the light flashes rather than on for a longer period. Thats what I have experienced so far anyway.

It regulates the difference in speed between the front and rear wheels. The extremes being rain and slick. In rain mode it expects there to be reduced friction between road and tyre so will not allow the rear to spin much quicker than the front to prevent high sides. It also cuts in at much earlier lean angles. In slick the system will allow a bigger difference to allow the rider to slide the rear to steer the bike. The other modes are somewhere in between.

I do know the DTC is shit compared to Aprillia and Kawasaki's , well it is on the the 2011 bike anyway , its supposed to be marginally better on the 12 and much better on the HP4

When I say shit I mean on track , not on the road.

I do know the DTC is shit compared to Aprillia and Kawasaki's , well it is on the the 2011 bike anyway , its supposed to be marginally better on the 12 and much better on the HP4

When I say shit I mean on track , not on the road.

By shit on track, do you mean too intrusive, or that it doesn't work properly?

By shit on track, do you mean too intrusive, or that it doesn't work properly?

Too intrusive.
I'm a race marshal and i can see the difference in the systems on the bikes.
I watched a ZX10R giving it full throttle out of a corner, front wheel was just off the deck and being carried for about 30ft whilst still the bike was still at a lean angle, i could hear the TC retarding the power and the rider seemed to be able push far harder (he won 3 out of 4 races)
Compared to the S1000RR i could see the hesitation in bike acceleration. Next race meeting i will ask the S1K riders what the deal is.

I've not had any complaints about ABS nor have i heard anyone complain about it.

All modes have different setting but based on the same principal - Wheel breaks loose ECU restricts engine, firstly by way of the spark and secondly and thirdly if needed by adjusting throttle butterflies and fuel flow. It way more advanced than other systems, which can only use one of the three listed.

All modes have different setting but based on the same principal - Wheel breaks loose ECU restricts engine, firstly by way of the spark and secondly and thirdly if needed by adjusting throttle butterflies and fuel flow. It way more advanced than other systems, which can only use one of the three listed.

So,
It looks like you lose traction and the system intervenes to prevent "more" loss of traction.
Does that mean that the different modes give less or more "support" based on the mode you are in. In other words you could hang it way out in "slick" but only a little out in "Rain"....so to speak ?

Rain = 38 deg lean angle
Sport = 45 deg lean angle
Race = 48 deg lean angle
Slick = 53 deg lean angle

Latest posts

Back