tracker

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helrazzer

Reaction score
i had a tracker fitted to my bike when i bought it
thought it was best thing since sliced bread
they used to ring me if i was moving it etc
today was working on it and discovered battery is kaput
so took it of and no phone call
do they just ring when contract is new ?
then forget about u?

John, your main battery was dead or the battrry that powers the tracker? Is that not a sealed unit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
BikeTrac has a low battery alert, did you configure that to send you a msg? I expect you've drained the battery...so it can't report anything.

What make of tracker was it? I know there are a few options these days.
some cost more than others

Voodoo.... Got a text message saying Battery was low on mine... was away over the weekend and could not put the trickle charge on the bike.... kitted up for my commute and dead battery..... :-( .... I have BikeTrac.... I thought the low battery message was for the bike's main battery and not the tracker's battery????

BikeTrac has a low battery alert, did you configure that to send you a msg? I expect you've drained the battery...so it can't report anything.

Had on optimate all over winter but battery knackered

I discovered in January that my Biketrac unit had not been working since July, as that was when the last update was on the portal. I contacted Biketrac and they couldn't have been more helpful. Firstly they confirmed that the unit had been defective since July and reimbursed me with the missing months cover, they then paid for a replacement unit and its professional fitting. This was all just outside the warranty period so was on a goodwill gesture. Fortunately I guess my bike was not stolen in those months as I wouldn't be reporting positive things about them. They are under new ownership so let's hope this excellent customer service continues.

Can recommend the BikeTrac too Richy, have had one installed on my HP4 since new, was so good I bought an unwanted raffle prize of another one off eBay. Nearest installer is in Newcastle so I fitted it myself to my GSA then rang BikeTrac to buy a subscription and activate it.
They telephoned me back the next day to tell me that the unit was a prize in a magazine competition and refunded me the years subscription. They certainly didn't need to do that and I thought that was a great gesture. First class company.

JimmyMac

Last edited:
Just found this thread so adding to it

2015 S1K, had the Biketrac fitted by BMW Park Lane when purchased new.

Really like the product but repeated problems with it draining the battery. I do store the bike in an underground locked garage, so I thought this was the issue. Within a year the battery wouldn't hold a charge so I replaced it.

Just had the bike in to BMW due to a failed radiator (separate post in Garage - BMW Park Lane fixed under warranty and said they hadn't seen the problem before), and asked them to remove the tracker. The Park Lane team said they had problems with the BikeTrac units draining the battery, and now recommend and install Datatool.

I called BikeTrac. They said the battery drain happens only if the device is installed improperly, "must have the brown wire connected to the correct side of the system" (seriously?). The system wakes up every 4 hours, tries to send a message. If no success (eg because out of coverage) then it goes to sleep for 4 hours. Not a lot of load so the system should run on the device's own battery for 30 days before needing any more juice from the bike. They say the bike would need to sit for more than 6 months to drain the bike's battery.

Also said I could find a BikeTrac service centre on their website, to install properly. I check and - Park Lane no longer listed (surprise) but other SE BMW dealers are still there.

So here are my choices: the tracker is buried deep in the bike, so it's hard for a thief to disconnect, but that means I need to pay a couple hundred quid for somebody else to burrow in or else I spend a day with my lesser skills doing the same. All to switch the wires over. Or pay BMW ?375 for a Datatool unit plus installation. Or just leave it and be sure to ride the bike every 3 days. I don't have a wall plug where I store the bike so trickle charge is not an option.

Somehow I choose the 'ride it every 3 days hell or high water' option :)

Just found this thread so adding to it

2015 S1K, had the Biketrac fitted by BMW Park Lane when purchased new.

Really like the product but repeated problems with it draining the battery. I do store the bike in an underground locked garage, so I thought this was the issue. Within a year the battery wouldn't hold a charge so I replaced it.

Just had the bike in to BMW due to a failed radiator (separate post in Garage - BMW Park Lane fixed under warranty and said they hadn't seen the problem before), and asked them to remove the tracker. The Park Lane team said they had problems with the BikeTrac units draining the battery, and now recommend and install Datatool.

I called BikeTrac. They said the battery drain happens only if the device is installed improperly, "must have the brown wire connected to the correct side of the system" (seriously?). The system wakes up every 4 hours, tries to send a message. If no success (eg because out of coverage) then it goes to sleep for 4 hours. Not a lot of load so the system should run on the device's own battery for 30 days before needing any more juice from the bike. They say the bike would need to sit for more than 6 months to drain the bike's battery.

Also said I could find a BikeTrac service centre on their website, to install properly. I check and - Park Lane no longer listed (surprise) but other SE BMW dealers are still there.

So here are my choices: the tracker is buried deep in the bike, so it's hard for a thief to disconnect, but that means I need to pay a couple hundred quid for somebody else to burrow in or else I spend a day with my lesser skills doing the same. All to switch the wires over. Or pay BMW ?375 for a Datatool unit plus installation. Or just leave it and be sure to ride the bike every 3 days. I don't have a wall plug where I store the bike so trickle charge is not an option.

Somehow I choose the 'ride it every 3 days hell or high water' option :)
Surely if it was installed incorrectly that is either Park Lane at fault or Biketrac for not telling them how to install it?? Mine has turned out to be a dud....not connecting to GPS or reporting movement etc...Biketrac have been really helpful and offered to pay for a new one to be installed even though they say it could be installed incorrectly. I'd call Biketrac and ask their advice....they're very helpful.

I'm in central London and don't use Park Lane...

Bahnstormers are approved for Biketrac

- Sent from Mobile

I'm in central London and don't use Park Lane...

Bahnstormers are approved for Biketrac

- Sent from Mobile

+1 for Bahnstormers - Ask for Keith and tell him Amit sent you....

-1 for Park Lane - I have not had good experience from Pre sales through to Servicing....

Personally I now think trackers are a waste of money, there have been numerous reports of bikes stolen where the trackers have not worked.
you can buy a signal blocker for ?15 so anyone on the lookout to steal a valuable high end bike will have one of the blockers or the van will be lined with something to block the signal

I have Biketrac fitted & not found battery drain a problem, have left bike parked up for over 2 weeks with tracker & alarm & not had an issue with starting.

It's possible parking in underground car park may be an issue. The Biketrac is basically a mobile phone with GPS. When a phone can't find a mast signal it boosts its power output to try to find one. The Biketrac may be constantly boosting signal power to try to find a phone mast.

hmm

Will call Biketrac about it; also have a chat with Bahnstormer. Like the security of the tracker, but not the dead battery.... Will report on progress..

Back