Timing Gear Cover

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apetrov1x5

Reaction score
Hi, I have noticed that two lower bolts of timing gear cover (tgc) are dump.

I think the seal need to be changed (or maybe just re-torqued).

Anyone done that before? Is it a straight forward procedure? just remove the bolts, change gasket, apply lock-tight?

What parts should I prepare to buy before attempting this?

ANy info is appreciated as I did nothing on the bike so far so will have to learn everything.

and the sequence for torque-ing? every second...third bolt or just normal 1, 2 3 4 5 etc?

are you saying you have an oil leak from this cover? just trying to clarify.the bolts are one time use aluminium stretch types.you should replace with new and tighten to 3nm and then a further tighten by 90 degrees.there is also a sequence of tightening.looking at cover you should start tightening from the 12 o'clock position and work clockwise.appears to have some sort of silicone sealant to seal surfaces.you should download the workshop manual to get all the info to do this job.carry out a search and there is plenty of info out there.good luck.

are you saying you have an oil leak from this cover? just trying to clarify.the bolts are one time use aluminium stretch types.you should replace with new and tighten to 3nm and then a further tighten by 90 degrees.there is also a sequence of tightening.looking at cover you should start tightening from the 12 o'clock position and work clockwise.appears to have some sort of silicone sealant to seal surfaces.you should download the workshop manual to get all the info to do this job.carry out a search and there is plenty of info out there.good luck.

thank you!

I have tried to retorque the bolts, but they are very tight. I did not dare to force them more.

then, I realised that the o-ring is to blame (number 4 in the ETK schematics attached as onedrive link http://1drv.ms/V30ozb ).

What number torx I need for the plug number 3 please? http://1drv.ms/V30Sp2

and for the o-ring - dealer is the only source?

Latest posts

Back