Clutch housing gasket

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pedro3178

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
So recently got my bike back from BMW for warranty work thinking that the clutch cover bolts and gasket would be changed. Was then told there was an error and it?s not required on my bike.

I definitely have oil coming from somewhere as I use Motul 300V and as you guys know the green colour is easily spotted. My question is I was just going to carry this out myself , so basically change the gasket and bolts. Is this straightforward enough? Or is this anything I need to be aware of?

2022 RR M sport

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take it to a better dealer. Its under warranty.

Sent from my SM-S9060 using Tapatalk

Take it to a better dealer. Its under warranty.

Sent from my SM-S9060 using Tapatalk

Wasn?t sure if they would try say it?s because I have used a carbon cover over the clutch housing . Possibly that?s what?s caused it in the first place.

Oh hmmm...fair enough. I thought you meant it was just leaking without interference.

Then yes it's fairly straight forward I believe.

Clutch cover to crankcase
M6 x 35, Renew screw Tightening torque, 3 Nm
Additional angle of rotation, 90?

Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 11.04.34.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 11.04.42.png

Watch those bolts, they snap very easily.. did you get fresh bolts supplied with the cover Peter ?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! Just didn?t want to tackle without asking here first incase of any surprises.

Stuart - new bolts came with the carbon cover. I?ll be buying new bolts anyway , so if there isn?t much difference in length then I?ll use all new

So the fasteners you received will be mild steel I'd guess, not the Aluminium ones which are one time use (I'm doing this from memory). You could nip up the aftermarket ones more than the Ally ones.

Wee update on this?.

Firstly thanks for the replies and advice.

All went according to plan UNTIL I tried to put the clutch plate back on and attach clutch cable, I will never admit how long I actually spent trying this [emoji849]. Once again StuartB on here for the absolute gentleman he is came all the way down to mine after a long shift at his work to sort for me!! Embarrassing to say he had it sorted in under 5 mins but then to be honest I would except nothing less from this chap! He?s a true down to earth guy and you really couldn?t meet a nicer one! This forum is lucky to have a guy like that and I?m thankful to this forum or would never have the pleasure of meeting him!

Cheers Stu!!!

What were you doing wrong? Did you not line up the thrust piece properly? Didn?t slacken the cable to give you more free play to work with?

By clutch plate you mean clutch cover, you don?t have to disturb the clutch at all for taking the cover off and replacing the gasket or inspecting it.

What were you doing wrong? Did you not line up the thrust piece properly? Didn?t slacken the cable to give you more free play to work with?

By clutch plate you mean clutch cover, you don?t have to disturb the clutch at all for taking the cover off and replacing the gasket or inspecting it.

Apologies Wull, you are correct, clutch cover. I think what happened was for some reason I didn?t have to slacken the clutch cable to remove it but then I couldn?t get it back on so automatically thought I had done something wrong.

Did you get to the bottom of the leak?

Looked like it was coming from the side of the clutch cover Wull as there was definitely evidence of oil there. Will keep an eye on it now but hopefully that?s got to the bottom of it. Still find it strange that when I checked my bike on bmw it did state the clutch cover screws but dealer said this was a mistake and was not required.

Wee update on this?.

Firstly thanks for the replies and advice.

All went according to plan UNTIL I tried to put the clutch plate back on and attach clutch cable, I will never admit how long I actually spent trying this [emoji849]. Once again StuartB on here for the absolute gentleman he is came all the way down to mine after a long shift at his work to sort for me!! Embarrassing to say he had it sorted in under 5 mins but then to be honest I would except nothing less from this chap! He?s a true down to earth guy and you really couldn?t meet a nicer one! This forum is lucky to have a guy like that and I?m thankful to this forum or would never have the pleasure of meeting him!

Cheers Stu!!!

Pleasure mate, kind of thought it was just an alignment issue, it's a bit of a pain guiding the cover on whilst playing with the housing and lever arm so that cam engages.

Glad you're sorted now, nothing worse than having to leave a job till the following day.

Mind treat yer self to a 3/8" socket and extension set...

Latest posts

Back