Thoughts on this bike? I'm tempted - 2010 S1000RR Sport

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan425

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've found this bike up for ?8995 with approx 12k on the clock, full BMWSH and 1 owner.

It's a BMW Approved Used and, apart from a rather squeaky front brake, which I've asked the dealer to check out, appears to be in good nick on the test ride. It has a few carbon shiny bits and an Akrapovic can too.

27P16m_RQTmvKE303wNiVX_IKyXc-Jm-Q6Ka7yFCud4BpoAAMiNFPstOZe8x_U8Az_bq7Syc6nI7CkvPZpL6CV470cBdglEVzavjfh3FbwoCUrEWSlw6nEIiI5AZyTTyGhoIoE3a_RAIAzh209Al8b0bSo4CJ5OwXAbHn-_C-mGK2hdGii0aaA9zqJwT_NSVSHsuosYPuDCdk4wH_98XIGFiWfbETY8hn8zFBliLOwpBfEyJEzPEepWEvP4toddnnRSpbC-_GamzB-XYZMGTzMP5DZkWGJ2o_aJ5ffuFiy50Jt2NheonMdwwct9tyrCZBdqWUBmhI1bAv73vgRDVcNmQcSyQherPW2zbACp_jW26mGpYemBvlV1yyPHwimrUoMytfY03pjs2NkQqaBuMDuZWBfmQSTdEDwTP5WUGSRRpiaewy5SqgCTgYnwxEQCUJvndG-WQSJANDnXAORs9OlpLBMUlGYr_IUJz4WSzFJ_FIffvn7z_35kJirlMeXiTIbnd5NWQbBldDlGxBKKrLx9HPxBeqISa5rv4er3eIONiPjNDCm3-dLgrLtHOo2Qj4rgIvQ=w1062-h598-no

Is that a decent price? Obviously I know I'm paying more from a dealer than privately, but not too much I hope?

Would welcome your thoughts.

Thanks!

I may be slightly off on the mileage, I forgot to write it down, but it may be more like 10k. Not a huge difference, but there we go.

What kind of price would you expect to pay for a 1 owner FBMWSH bike at that age/mileage?

I'm PXing both my Street Triple R and my Bonneville, not a cash buyer. I've already increased his price on the STR, so not sure how much haggle space I have left.

I like the fact that it's coming from a BMW dealer and comes with a 12 month warranty. Because I'm looking to PX both bikes, I'm restricted on buying from a dealer rather than privately. Also, having sold cars privately before, I quite like the idea of a zero hassle purchase and trading them in.

Another advantage of the bike is that it's only 20 miles down the road. Not that I'd base a purchase decision purely on geography, but if anything went wrong or I had to take it back, the fact that the dealer is nearby certainly helps.

Have a quick look on biketrader, CMC have a mint 8k mile 2010 sport with akra etc up for ?8399. Will always be cheaper (but riskier) buying privately but as the others say the bike you've seen looks to be pricey

Re trading in, although I've done it a couple of times, the best thing to do to open up purchase options is shift your bikes through classified ad's on ebay, I sold a GSA for what I paid for it within a week this January(!), you should have no worries selling quickly at the moment

i paid ?6500 for my 2011, it has 15,000 miles with full bmwsh. not sure if that helps you but it was the cheapest i could find. ANYWHERE!!

Last edited:
I paid 9750 for a 2014 with 4k miles if it helps you with a comparasion

Re trading in, although I've done it a couple of times, the best thing to do to open up purchase options is shift your bikes through classified ad's on ebay, I sold a GSA for what I paid for it within a week this January(!), you should have no worries selling quickly at the moment

I agree with Mac, you'll get more selling your bikes than you can get from a dealer. I sometimes tell our customers to sell there bikes privately as I can offer offer a better price for the bike without part ex. Now is the best time of year to sell your bikes quickly (although pxing does have the benefit of no comebacks and gets you on your RR faster)

seems pricey to me. i paid 10500 for a 2012 with 6k Yoshi and other r&g stuff from a dealer with 12 months btw road side, new tyres, service, 12 MOT & tax etc etc

that was Jan though and i guess its getting to that time of year!?

Last edited:
I agree with Mac, you'll get more selling your bikes than you can get from a dealer. I sometimes tell our customers to sell there bikes privately as I can offer offer a better price for the bike without part ex. Now is the best time of year to sell your bikes quickly (although pxing does have the benefit of no comebacks and gets you on your RR faster)

Good advice Stephen. i think for the difference in price between dealer and private could buy you speed and ease with the transaction and without the hassle of tyre kickers and complainers.

For me it was worth the 500 to 750 extra i may have got, eventually...

I may be slightly off on the mileage, I forgot to write it down, but it may be more like 10k. Not a huge difference, but there we go.

I was right the first time, 12,080 miles.

Thanks for all your assistance so far, guys.

Good advice Stephen. i think for the difference in price between dealer and private could buy you speed and ease with the transaction and without the hassle of tyre kickers and complainers.

For me it was worth the 500 to 750 extra i may have got, eventually...

I'm leaning towards the ease and speed of the transaction, if I'm honest. Holding out for the right price on my bikes is all well and good, but this S1000RR seems to be in good condition, 1 owner, FBMWSH and from a Motorrad dealer who is only 20 miles away.

After a bit of haggling the dealer has come back and offered me ?200 more for the bikes (or taken ?200 off the end price, whatever way you look at it).

I've been offered ?6895 for my two bikes, which means the cost to change would be ?2100 to make up to ?8995. I'm tempted to go for it, but will try and see what else I can get with it at that price.

I think that you have probably already made your mind up Dan :) it's your money and if you are happy with the deal only you can decide? Sometimes there are better bikes priced further away but then you have to take into consideration traveling, fuel, time off work, wasted journey if it's a dog, and if it's not a BMW warranty then you may as well buy private as if there's a problem it's a pain to take it back to the dealer. I have just bought mine from Manchester which I had to travel but it was motorrad dealer so the warranty is with any dealer in Europe. When I was looking there was nothing close by and all the non bmw garages seemed to be wanting the simlar money without the 12 months warranty. For me the peace of mind of the warranty is worth paying a bit more money as I am not mechanically minded if the bike was just a few grand then privately all the way but when the cost is more than 8k I prefer a bit more security.

Agree with above, well overpriced. I bought my '10 last year for ?9400 with 6K on it, and in motorsport colours.

Its what YOU think its worth. I think what dave paid is high but that doesnt matter its what you are willing to pay

Each to there own I say everyone's circumstances are different you pay what you are happy to pay :) no matter what you buy if you look around you will always find something cheaper or better it's what's about at the time and how patient you are. As soon as I got mine a one turned up a year newer half the miles about 10 miles from me ?700 more (non bmw dealer though so not the warranty)...That's the way it goes but I am happy with my purchase (so far) :)

I think whilst I recognise the fact it's expensive for the mileage, I am leaning towards going for it.

It's local, the guy is happy to take both my bikes in PX and it comes with the BMW warranty. I'm happy to pay extra for the convenience of not having to sell both bikes on Autotrader (with all the drama that entails).

I'll see if I can get him to budge on the price a bit more, or throw in a stamped service (due in June). As someone said earlier, if I want to jump on a Sthou this very week, it'll mean taking a hit on PX or the price of the bike.

Latest posts

Back