Bike stolen and recovered with BikeTrac

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote is ?4700. The lockstop lug on the front of the frame has had it's front surface torn off (looks like it's constructed from tinfoil!).

They've included the stock can and clutch lever, which I'm sure are fine as they are, so that would take about ?550 off the price but still.... 4 grand. I'm sure my insurers will get that back off me over the next few years if I claim. Really not sure what to do.

Im not as concerned about joyride thefts as I am about the bike being lifted and put in a van, never to be seen again, either dismantled for parts or exported in a container. Either way, Im really interested in trackers, but have a huge question about their ability to get a position from inside the back of van? Does anyone have experience of this?

And is a simple unit worth it? Such as this, which Oxford rebrand and sell. On the surface it seems worth considering?

Mine reports fine from inside a Secure-A-Bike safe, which is 2mm steel. Also it reported the whole journey in the back of the thieve's van (otherwise BikeTrac would have had no idea), so you should be covered.

Ouch that's a big bill. Seems like it's better to not use the steering lock. Just rely on chains/alarm/tracker.

The problem I see with any tracker is how long it stays with the vehicle. I had one on a previous bike and decided one day to not renew the subs. It took me a few minutes to locate it (I hadn't bothered before), cut the wires and sling it in the bin. Bikes dont tend to have many safe places to sneak a tracker where it wont be spotted by someone specifically looking for it.

As I posted earlier, a friend of mine had his XR taken last week in London in the middle of the day. It was in the back of a van for a bit, then they caught up with the tracker, which had been separated from the bike, bike forever gone :(.

Quote is ?4700. The lockstop lug on the front of the frame has had it's front surface torn off (looks like it's constructed from tinfoil!).

They've included the stock can and clutch lever, which I'm sure are fine as they are, so that would take about ?550 off the price but still.... 4 grand. I'm sure my insurers will get that back off me over the next few years if I claim. Really not sure what to do.

So am I reading it right that ?4k is for a new frame and labour?

Nothing is perfect. This just seems the best way to at least have a fighting chance of recovery.

So am I reading it right that ?4k is for a new frame and labour?

Frame ?1700
Wiring loom (presumably where they tore out the alarm) ?466!
Can ?504
CONT UNIT (Alarm?) ?178
Lock housing ?75
Clutch lever ?57!!!!!!!
Labour ?735

Plus a whole raft of bolts and seals, and VAT on top.

I think I'm going to tell them to forget the frame, can, clutch etc. If I can get it down to a grand or so then it's better to stump up that than my ?650 excess. Need to find out if I have NCD protection first.

MEH! Fed up of the whole thing already.

I bet you are. Rotten when these things happen. Wouldn't be as bad if they caught the wankers and cut off their hands so they couldn't reoffend.

Mine reports fine from inside a Secure-A-Bike safe, which is 2mm steel. Also it reported the whole journey in the back of the thieve's van (otherwise BikeTrac would have had no idea), so you should be covered.

Thats great to know, thanks!

They obviously arent perfect as said above, its such a pain we have to cover every single angle (locks, alarms, trackers, parking locations) just to give ourselves least possible chance of theft and even then we still cant rest easy. The joys of having nice things! :)

Finally got the repair quote without the cosmetic stuff- basically ?80 for the steering lock, ?20 for a new alarm plug, and ?385 labour. Much more palatable.

I'm wondering whether to get them to put an alarm on after all, at it's at least a form of deterrent.... Question is, do I stick on a replacement BMW alarm for ?210, or are there better aftermarket alarm options for the money?

Sounds more palatable.

I don't think there is a better alarm, not one that's plug'n'play. I found some thread talking about an RLINK one (http://s1000rrforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-632.html) which
"Has perimeter sensor, geofence (moves out of a set area, alarm sends a notification to your smartphone) and tracking facilities - needs subscription payment."

19mm Almax chain, ground anchors & anti pinch pins seem to be the only way to give these guys a serious headache. :/

Last edited:
IMO alarms are a complete waste of time. The type that are taking bikes are either opportunist or regular scumbags. Alarm will deter the opportunist but I never leave mine where this could happen. They will just turn up in a van with Bike recovery on the side on false plates and people will ignore it being loaded whilst the alarm is going off. In the van, disable sounder then gone.

Got it back at long last.

Steering lock has been replaced, but is ineffective. I'd argue it was never effective anyway if it can be broken in seconds and damages the frame. No alarm any more.

Feel slightly sore after squandering ?550 to effectively de-burr a hole, replace the lock and solder some wires together, but hey ho! At least I have it back, and man it feels fantastic to ride.

WWoAFJj.png

Latest posts

Back