Stock can, track noise limits.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFlymo

Reaction score
I was black flagged on my '15 model with stock can at Snetterton in May. 106db! I'm doing the August day and will obviously be more confident/quicker, so having to throttle off just for noise limits is going to be really frustrating.

Not completely against the idea of a replacement slip-on, but the cheaper the better, and it has to be 102db. Perfectly happy with the stocker on the road.

Anyone fitted any extra baffles?

105db trackday at Donington today, had std can fitted, no issues for me

Very funny :tongue-new:, did the BMW training with Neil Hodgson so no black flags for us! Really enjoyed it, apart from rear M7 suddenly deflating going into Redgate ('kin 'ell!), a nice slide, MXing through the gravel trap and came to a halt to find a nice hole in the tyre, must've been something on track, luckily Holbeach tyres sorted a replacement pdq so no time lost, not used M7's on track before, pretty good although replacement squirming a bit by end of day

Only joking :). I was in the kitty litter at redgate last year, it's the place all the best end up lol. Sounds v scary but you made it through and no damage done! Yes they do get a bit squirmy when they get very hot on track but by then I'm usually too hot too tbh. It's my warning to take a time out. Was it a good trackday overall?

Yep, dry and warm all day apart from last session, only a couple of red flags, Hodgy spot on - he got us maximum time on track including back to back sessions and focussed on practical observations and advice rather than time out on theory. He recommended Spanish track days for improving riding over UK as he reckoned there were much greater gains to be made over a 3 day trip than doing single days

Just by way of an update, the Dominator can arrived. Build quality feels good, I didn't weigh it but it's significantly lighter than the stocker. Link pipe is nicely made and clamps are good quality. Hanger strap is a bit of a letdown, thin steel with a simple strip of rubber, but it does the job. Not too keen on the logo, sadly it seems to have been bonded pretty strongly to the can so won't try and pull it off for fear of damaging the finish.

Regarding noise, at first sight things didn't look good- it's a fairly wide bore straight-through pipe, and the dB killer is a simple non-perforated straight tube bolted into the outlet, extending about 8 inches into the pipe. Would have thought it would make the thing louder!

Bolted it together, had to find a couple of bolts to mount it to the new ally pillion hanger (?20 eBay job from Germany) as it didn't come with one. The random bolt tin didn't have exactly what I needed so it looks a bit gash but that can be sorted later.

First impressions on sound- amazingly, it's noticeably quieter than stock. Obviously will have to put some miles on and see how it is once the baffle packing's been compressed a bit, but it's a pleasantly deep sound without the harshness of the stocker. Pops and bangs are muted too, which should help at the track. I did try a dB meter app on the phone to get a comparison, but it's alomst useless- everything comes up as 80dB. I'm going to find an eBay DB killer of the correct diameter just so I have a plan B on track, but I think it's game on!

Also fitted some ally CNC front and rear spindle sliders- seem really well built, flawless anodizing, with replaceable sliders, and only ?4.70 from Amazon! Next job- fit R&G engine protectors.

Will stick some pics up when I next pull the bike out.

Oh balls, I'm at Snetterton on Sunday and was hoping the BMW was the answer to noise problems I have with the Ducati! Please do put up results once you get tested. I was fine at Brands Hatch yesterday so was not expecting issues at Snetterton??

Yep, dry and warm all day apart from last session, only a couple of red flags, Hodgy spot on - he got us maximum time on track including back to back sessions and focussed on practical observations and advice rather than time out on theory. He recommended Spanish track days for improving riding over UK as he reckoned there were much greater gains to be made over a 3 day trip than doing single days
Euro trips are a no brainer over UK days. Way more track time, less people as most get knackered after two days of a four day trip, more relaxed and much better weather :)

Yup, black flagged on my totally stock '15 at 106.4dB. Luckily only in the final session, but as it was my first day there that was the first session where I really strung everything together and felt quick and smooth. In August I really just want to ride without having to worry about throttling back.

I'd read lots about the BMW and people getting black flagged for standard cans so I was a bit worried that my 1st outing on my newly acquired 2010 RR Sport named Bella was going to be short lived, so I rang the circuit, Snetterton, and explained my predicament which resulted in a great bit of support by James the Race Controller there. He said make sure everything is stock, get noise tested static and see how you get on. If it's too loud we'll see what we can do to help. Fortunately she measured 98db and I'm guessing the CAT helped with that, and no black flags. 👍🏻 My next outing was equally as quite so I fitted my Remus slip on can and that measured 96db without baffles (but was warmed as I'd done the 1st session). I'd recommend perhaps calling them and asking if they have any specific advice for your machine and/or get a spare end can and make an internal baffle to reduce it down. 👍🏻😀

All I know is what happened to me! Anyway the Dominator is definitely quieter than the stocker, and I've bought another baffle that'll fit inside the existing removable baffle for a plan C.

Fitted the R&G protectors and the axle sliders this morning:

20160723_132116b.jpg

Not convinced the R&G sliders are going to do any good at all- on the outermost cover the fasteners are the first thing that'll touch down, and will surely snap or transmit any forces direct to the motor. Quite surprised as they seem to be the de-facto choice for a lot of riders. Might eBay them, or at least that one cover and buy some GBRacing covers, as they seem much better designed, with countersunk fastener heads.

Latest posts

Back