2015 Stock Can - baffles removed.......nice!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cresser1

Reaction score
Evening All.

Had the 600mile service on Friday (yay!) and whilst there I asked the dealer to have a look at removing the baffles....there are two screws (which you can see) but the baffles are also spot welded and the technicians had some fun getting them out.

Suffice to say the bike now sounds fantastic. A slighter deeper rumble at tick over (although mine rattles and taps quite a bit!) but once you give the throttle some welly it sounds truly awesome!

It still barks and growls on the overrun but with even more venom than before and once you get past about 6k rpm the noise is incredible. Not offensively loud but a great tone.

The lads at the dealer reckoned it sounded as good as the akro slip on. Bearing in mind I was thinking of forking out the ?700 for one I took that second comment on face value. Apparently mine was the first baffles they had removed on the new bike.

However, with it gone you can see some other welding on the end of the exhaust that was previously hidden but only from close up. Putting it back on is a doddle. The stock can obviously doesn't look as sweet as a slip on but the new sound might save my credit card from anymore abuse (for a while at least!).

Anyone else tried this?

There's a vid on YouTube by some chap in the US who removed the baffles too.

Sounds good, but I'd actually like a way to make mine (shock horror) quieter! Don't get me wrong I love the sound of the stock exhaust, but living in London and for dodging plod, stealth it aint!

Funnily enough I tried removing them yesterday, removed tx25 screws and see the tiny spot of weld holding them in. I've got nothing at home to remove the spot weld so I put the screws back. I think the only reason people would change them is because of the standard look, everyone loves a race can! (Except neighbours maybe..)

I'll wait til my first service next week and see if I can get them removed by the dealer too :cool:

Anyone done this themselves yet? Pics before during and after and the baffles where the weld is when out would be good!

Here's the before pic..

_DSC1205_zpse1tp8e6m.jpg

A tiny spot weld on the left hand hole, as Pipehose states it would be very tight but enough force it would break the tiny spotweld. I've got bugger all tools here so the after pic will have to wait!

Here's someone on YouTube who's removed it..

Ok done it now. Only had spot weld on left hole. Still took a bit of force to remove the baffle which bends the outer bit of the baffle slightly. Some marks left even using a rag. Used a deemed to try to break the weld before but difficult to know what is baffle and what is exhaust. Sound is definitely deeper and louder (static in garage test). Will find out tomorrow how it changes the overrun popping!

Ok, I need to do a vid with sound differences. It sound as good if not better than the shop bike fitted with the akrapovic end can. Mental

Did mine the other night. Used a 4mm drill bit to break the weld then a centre punch. Came out really easy.

To pull the baffle, I used a section of broom handle. Slotted it into the hole then pulled at an angle, it came out easy.

So pleased with it. The pops and bangs are addictive... :)

I removed mine last night too but it was late and didn't want to start it up.
I was really just trying to see the spot weld and how I could easily break it before going any further. As it turned out, once I removed the screws and gave it a wiggle the baffle pulled out no probs.
I'll start it up when I get home.

Latest posts

Back