steering damper ineffective?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravifuel

Reaction score
Just had my 2010 s1000rr serviced and MOT, failed MOT because of an ineffective steering damper..It's done 13.5k miles. anyone else had this?
?267 from motorrad have managed to get them to fit it for free.

is it the average lifespan for a damper?

2010 isn't adjustable and weren't very good from new anyway....There's been plenty on ebay? As above, I'd question this with DOT....

Last edited:
@alex,

thanks for that. i have just called them and they can't confirm if the technician has tried that. so he is going to check on Monday and let me know!!

2010 isn't adjustable and weren't very good from new anyway....There's been plenty on ebay? As above, I'd question this with DOT....

Ahh I didn't know that. But I assume you can just take it off and pass an MOT?

I have just called the dealer to tell him to hang fire, because i'm querying whether it is a fail! will report back on Monday!!

spoke to bmw, told them i don't want the steering damper fitted as i don't agree with what the tester said! ordered one from ebay ?20! picked bike up removed the damper, took it back and they passed it with a retest!

i showed them the two steering dampers and they were both exactly the same, he could not tell which was which buy pulling and pushing each one!!
Again he said it was the testers discretion!!

Only advice i have is question everything the dealers say!! and thanks to this forum!!

Time to find another dealer or test station me thinks !

I replaced mine with an Ohlins, it improved the feel at the front a lot.

Before, I always felt a slight 'shimmy' when on full gas, but it's dead stable now.

BTW the Ohlins damper was taken from my GSXR 1000 K5, it is the same Ohlins damper, I just used the fitting kit from the original.

yep I've got one that fits my old R1 4xv and the gixxers K6/K8. fitted to my 2010 as it was in the garage! ohlins list a different one for the early bikes as the mount on the lower triple clamp is close to the fork leg and locks it up if you use the M8 fixing. I think the SD033 has M6 and is therefore ok as it's smaller. But a little bit of work with the grinder / file on the damper end joint and it fits a treat.
nicer than the standard one which was ok but not adjustable

Latest posts

Back