Spike Edwards - S1000RR - HP Datalogging Information

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry we're "over lapping" (pun).
I thought the lap by lap comment was ref comparing two laps. That's all groovy and definitely very handy. But at my level, with high degree of lap by lap variances it would be cool to have the option to pull half a dozen and just overlay a couple of channels at a time. Assuming that I've not crashed it would allow for faster results in understanding what was good or not. I miss the AIM software's lap management.

This is a really handy tool - sector times.
I edit mine to have more sectors and as you can see here a lap that was ultimately 3 seconds off the previous one started off faster (traffic). So it is a good lap to look at for improvments. To create the sections I just take the circuit length and divide by 6. Might be overkill but changing the number of sector can throw up laps/sectors to look at.

1706807983223.png

Going into the data I can see I was 1 second up on the 1:52.6 lap when I got to the 'no overtaking zone' at Almeria... grrrr...

Last edited:
Hmmmn, it's definitely a weird thing, IMHO you don't really want other rider's data to compare yourself to, rather I think you're best using the data to try and be the best rider you can be. Regardless of your pace, you can always use the data to help to refine your riding, aiming to improve yourself rather than to emulate someone else, whose riding style, physical stature, weight and set up might be completely different.
I did this video to try and outline the 'why' of data...

Dash integration was why I ditched my Aim Solo DL on the Gen3. It's nice to know when you're on a good lap. Sometimes the BMW 2D system does screw up, record a 40 second lap in pitlane and so you can't tell anything for that session /sigh (you have to delete the lap in question or all laps to get it sorted).

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 13.14.47.png

Last edited:
Sorry @scooby I only just saw your reply here. yes it will be the BMW 2D system that you sold me many moons ago. I added suspension pots and used it heavily whist racing and for trackdays. I also did a lot of work with others which was mostly on the more basic systems like the Aim Solo DL, etc as not many people got into the suspension stuff like I did. I love this stuff so excuse me for rattling on here but I was studying the dynamics whilst doing it with thoughts of trying to take it further: 'John Bradley - The Racing Motorcycle' is highly recommended for anyone who wants to learn.

Its a bit of a tangent but a good excuse to share some interesting pictures: by luck I ended getting involved with a car team that was going to race in the World Endurance Series. The idea was it gave veterans a way to gain experience on the job. I was supposed to be doing the data engineer role and we went to the Lambo factory for a week to train on the Hurricane Evo we were going to race. It was a pretty epic and there was talk of F1 placements but unfortunately it was also in the middle of Covid and it all fell apart before anything more came of it. I never got to do it at a higher level so I only know enough to be dangerous at club racing level so take my thoughts with a pinch of salt....

1706881548184.jpeg
1706881573408.jpeg

My take on the whole subject is that its very easy to over complicate it and look at things that really do not make any difference to the average rider on track who has not got the fundamentals sorted enough to have laptimes within a few tenths of each other.

GPS positioning is great to get an overall view of the track and to overlay your speeds etc but dont expect it to help you with breaking and acceleration points or lines since it is not accurate enough. Many of the iphone type apps give the impression they do this but its more useful for calculating things like top speed on the straights and lowest speed on the corner apexs. The bike has speed signals from the wheels/gearbox going around but they are not always accurate due to natural wheel spins. You can then use these to work on your braking and acceleration points.

In terms of system capabilities, unless someone has brought out something different in the last year or two, they fall into a few broad catagories in my mind:

1) Systems that ingest the common signals present on most new race bikes via plugging into the Can Bus: throttle position, speed, gears, rpm, and add in GPS. These are basically anything like the Aim Solo DL which are around £500-1000 and are not expandable to take suspension sensors. These cover what most trackday and club racers need to work on which really is just:

- Consistent 100% throttle for top speeds on the straights.
- Reducing the braking zone.
- Minimum corner speeds at the apexs.
- Being in the correct gear.

The BMW 2D system out of the box falls into this catagory but the big difference is that you can expand it. The value add you can get here by using Aim or 2D is with the software which is usually the same or very similar to the high end systems and actively being developed and kept up to date. That said you really can get away with the cheapest and nastiest systems if you have these data feeds and you know what you are looking for since you dont need to see much. Its not something thats very nice for non nerds hence the software being useful.
The really good thing these days is that most new bikes will give throttle, rpm, gear and speed signals via the Can Bus as standard which even the lower end data collection computers like the Aim DL (Data LInk) can consume.

2) For me the area in the middle is where keen club racers can find an advantage. Its tricky to find a system that is exapndable to include suspension pots that doesnt cost thousands of pounds. The BMW 2D system will do this since the bike already has suspension sensor inputs which is super useful. The Aim Solo DL will not expand to suspension pots but they do a bunch of good more high end systems at a similar mid point and their software is nice to use. Some of our team members had I2M which seemed to be good value as well.
Suspension seems like black magic because of all the youtube vids and suspension techs harping on about sag which is near enough a waste of time - its a sticky plaster for the wrong spring rate on road bikes mostly and you can't reliably measure it. The part that can make a big difference for Joe Bloggs is actually very simple. You just need the correct springs for your skill level and weight. If the front is compressing too much then you stiffen them. If you are not compressing them then you do not need such stiff springs and you are sacrificing grip - and arguably more importantly turning radius. After each session I would check the suspension movement on the fastest laps and change springs if needed. I have the Mupo CSP which have through rod tech which you can spring change in five minutes and dont need to worry about oil.
The rear spring is a bit more tricky to get on top of - wheel spin if it compresses too much or too much wheelying if its too stiff. I found a spring rate that worked and tended to stick with it - imo thats more of a high end analysis to get on top of. I'd usually just add a bit of preload on the rear as the tyre wore out and that would keep things balanced.

3) High end systems which usually come in at £3-5000 by the time you have bought sensors etc. These are the daddy systems that have plenty of inputs for suspension Pots, brake pressure sensors as well as engine and CPU related feeds which are not required by the average racer or trackday rider. The other areas is the bike setup and geometry which most amateurs dont mess with much and just take advice from where they can get it. I extended the wheelbase on my Gen 3 with a longer chain after speaking with some race teams and that was one of the best mods I made for calming the bike on UK tracks. There might also be extra subscriptions required to unlock software capabilities to make the most of the extra data.

Last edited:
Nice read, and good to see you was getting into it, shame about the timing.

FYI, Aim have a made an expansion module for 4 analogue sensors now for the soloDL, so suspension pots can be logged now independantly (as in, not electronic suspension).

I’ve still got the bike but it is for sale. I’m a reluctant salesperson!!

Doesn’t the k67 have cabling already present for active suspension like on the gen 3?

Happy Birthday :)

For me the biggest issue for a track day rider using any form of data is that they still don't know what's possible. I could be a demon on the brakes but not know it. I could be pathetic on the brakes but not know it (safe to say I am though). As far as I know there's no reference data out there. Did I shut the throttle and apply the brakes in a good way? Did I use an appropriate amount of braking force? The software in its current form doesn't "analyse" anything (despite it's name), only presents it for you to interpret. And you can't get your best dozen laps into one file and check them all against each other.

At £2500 for the full license from 2D...I will never find out if the full fat software can do that.
I tend to stick someone a little faster than me out on my bike, and use that data to see what they're doing different? Not that its always better, but it can clearly show where they are faster and give you something to work on...

Yeah it's probably the best way at my level, though, understandably a lot of folks don't like riding other peoples wives bikes.

I tend to stick someone a little faster than me out on my bike, and use that data to see what they're doing different? Not that its always better, but it can clearly show where they are faster and give you something to work on...
That's exactly what my ontrack customer did last year, wherever we were coaching he asked me to do a session on his F900 so that he had some data to compare himself to.

That's exactly what my ontrack customer did last year, wherever we were coaching he asked me to do a session on his F900 so that he had some data to compare himself to.

When I had my vbox, it was easy to simply gaffer tape it to another riders seat until to capture their data. The BMW doesn;t make that an option. I'm more than happy with the trade off in data captured though!

your coming along with it a lot better than i am!!

so, taking the last part, have you managed to find a lap where you didn't run the kerb to compare the differences? as in, is it still faster to run the kerb, or better to miss the extra track width for better drive down the straight? (which is the better tradeoff)

Great tips from yourself a Juha. I played with positioning but not the idea of zero in the middle. Does the brake channel have to inversed to work or does it just know? I was watching on a phone and couldn't see clearly.

If anyone is reading this and wants a K46 2010-2018 datalogger, i have one boxed ready to go.

Latest posts

Back