Spike Edwards - S1000RR - HP Datalogging Information

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Spike has started posting some really good vids that go through the usage of the BMW HP Datalogging systems.

He's still learning himself but he's been willing to show what he's learned. If you've got it, or are considering one, it's worth a watch, I've picked up a trick or two already and I felt I had a handle on it.

Full Playlist

Give him like and subscribe :D

he rang me when he first got it as he couldn't work out how to change from kmh-mph, turns out you can't :). although i've had very limited experiance with the 2d stuff.

just goes to show though, in all his 40+years of racing, he's still keen, and able to learn new stuff!!

It’s quality if you get the suspension pots. It was my standard routine to do a few sessions to
get used to the track conditions and then use the suspension data to get the right springs. It would give me another second or two almost every time.

yeah it's all metric - ghastly (I jest). I think you can do maths channels which you could convert KMH to MPH, but why bother.
It isn't user friendly, which puts people off, but once you find what you need it's great.

yea i did tell him that i could do a math channel for it, but as you say, it's not the easiest to use. Aim is a lot more user friendly, plus theres loads of info on youtube+forums (FB) to help learn the different functions, i've only just seen that theres a GPS radius function that shows you your apex/entry exit angles, which when you get your head around that will be very good for checking late/early entry speeds+ time comparison

i never looked into it Alex as he decided he wasn't bothered, do you know how to add math channels in the 2d s/w? i've book with all kinds of math formula (i) for different s/w, i'll dig it out and let you know the formula

The single most important thing I found out from 2D was that BMW had specifically requested restrictions to for the 2D data recording system for their application.
So lots of stuff like adding maths channels are simply not available; turns out I was in effect trying to conquer the data recording world with one hand tied behind my back.
However, there's still plenty for me to get my teeth in to - and to actually 'use' to effect improvements on track.
I've learnt lots after being contact by Juha Puroaho - he's given me some great tips that I would never have fathomed on my own, and I'm just editing up another detail that explores displaying stuff in more depth.
Here's my latest overview:

funny you say that, just dug out my data analysis book, and realised it doesn't have any info for 2d, loads for Motec, Aim, Pi+ Stack. there are few vids on YT but guess your a bit further ahead than the basics now, we'll have to get the laptops out next time i see you at oulton ;)

funny you say that, just dug out my data analysis book, and realised it doesn't have any info for 2d, loads for Motec, Aim, Pi+ Stack. there are few vids on YT but guess your a bit further ahead than the basics now, we'll have to get the laptops out next time i see you at oulton ;)
JR snapped this on our road trip today, wondered if it was your new track day mantra!

Attachments

• PXL_20240131_111725073.jpg
    PXL_20240131_111725073.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 0
Wonder if 2D would let you have the full version of the software for promotion purposes...

Wonder if 2D would let you have the full version of the software for promotion purposes...
I think JR (the wife) would leave me...
...she's the techno guru, and it's straining the relationship, as I just like to ride the bike and hit the buttons in a neandethal manner on the computer and for the data to appear like magic - everything else is - it's a mystery, oh it's a mystery...
No one at BMW UK seems to know anything, and when I contacted Peter Bom, who is technical 2D data guy at MotoGP, it was him who told me about the customer BMW system being so restricted. I think it's probably best if I stick with what the after sales BMW customer can buy from their dealer, and find out as much about this as I possibly can; as this will be more useful to any coaching customers I may have who have the system.

Happy Birthday :)

For me the biggest issue for a track day rider using any form of data is that they still don't know what's possible. I could be a demon on the brakes but not know it. I could be pathetic on the brakes but not know it (safe to say I am though). As far as I know there's no reference data out there. Did I shut the throttle and apply the brakes in a good way? Did I use an appropriate amount of braking force? The software in its current form doesn't "analyse" anything (despite it's name), only presents it for you to interpret. And you can't get your best dozen laps into one file and check them all against each other.

At £2500 for the full license from 2D...I will never find out if the full fat software can do that.

Alex, so you saying you can't compare lap by lap?

at the end of the day, data analysis isn't an easy thing to understand unless, like most things, you actually try to learn how to read it, which without help is very difficult (as you say). lap by lap comparison for me is 1 of the basic tools i use to see why lap times were/are different, then i try to understand why, video footage is a massive help also when comparing as it can highlight any glaring differences,coming into traffic etc that effected the lap.(i have the Aim smarty cam wired in for easy data/video comparison)

for me, even after years of using it, i still only use the basics as i just dont have the time to go to indepth and learn the different aspects of it all.

the difference between me and someone who actually knows how to read the lines is the same as me against a BSB rider (or spike..:) ). i was with Mick Shanley last yr at oulton (Honda WSBK ) and he had a look at my data and just instantly pointed out things, throttle app, traction control, fueling etc, it was unbeleivable what he could tell me just looking for a minute!! but, thats what he does.

I'm saying its tedious, not that I can't. And yeah without that experience it's hard to improve.
I want Ducati's system that takes it all in a spits out an ideal lap :p

And you can't get your best dozen laps into one file and check them all against each other.
i assumed that meant you couldn't do it?

tbh Aim is probablly the most user friendly s/w out there, and theres a lot of info+videos around to help guide you through the different aspects to look at, understand and apply to your riding

Latest posts

Back