Slick key

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ant

zoot-man
Reaction score
When I brought my bike the guy showed me the driving modes and said that the slick key had never been used because it's not displayed as an option.

If I insert it and remove it, will it stay either selectable or just as a message to others that it has been activated?

id like to plug it in to make sure it all works as it should but not if it stays on as a visible indicator that at some point it has been used

any ideas?

A) having it fitted is normal, why wouldn't you? Doesn't mean anything about how you've cared for or used the bike.
B) I believe the dealer still has to enable it via software.

When I brought my bike the guy showed me the driving modes and said that the slick key had never been used because it's not displayed as an option.

If I insert it and remove it, will it stay either selectable or just as a message to others that it has been activated?

id like to plug it in to make sure it all works as it should but not if it stays on as a visible indicator that at some point it has been used

any ideas?

As far as im aware, once you remove the key the slick mode dissapears?

Last edited:
The slick mode option will only appear with the plug inserted.

If you remove it then the option will disappear.

My advice would be to stick it in, leave it in. Play with slick mode one day either at a track or a very quiet smooth, long road :). It makes no difference to the bike if you don't select slick mode so leaving it in is an easy way to know where you've put it!

On the GS I got it came with a slick plug to unlock enduro pro mode. The sales guy said I'd never need it, and he is probably right, but I stuck it in anyway, why not?

The slick mode option will only appear with the plug inserted.

If you remove it then the option will disappear.

My advice would be to stick it in, leave it in. Play with slick mode one day either at a track or a very quiet smooth, long road :). It makes no difference to the bike if you don't select slick mode so leaving it in is an easy way to know where you've put it!

On the GS I got it came with a slick plug to unlock enduro pro mode. The sales guy said I'd never need it, and he is probably right, but I stuck it in anyway, why not?

I've not used mine for 2 reasons : A, the bike is faster than i am in rain mode let alone slick mode haha and B, aren't you telling the computer that the bike has slick tyres on? Surely thats not a good idea when you have road tyres on?

I may be wrong but you can't expect the various performance and safety features to work flawlessly when you've lied to it about what tyres its got on? haha

B) I believe the dealer still has to enable it via software.

Once the bike has been delimited at first 600 mile running in service the slick plug can be used at any point thereafter. If the bike needs to go back to the dealer for the slick plug to work, they haven't done the job right first time.

I've not used mine for 2 reasons : A, the bike is faster than i am in rain mode let alone slick mode haha and B, aren't you telling the computer that the bike has slick tyres on? Surely thats not a good idea when you have road tyres on?

Putting the plug in makes no difference to any of the other selectable modes. Only if you put the bike in slick mode will the TC, suspension and ABS parameters change to presume you are running very sticky tyres on a smooth high grip surface.

Hi Ant
I've had mine in the bike since I bought it 6 months ago
( 2011 non sport )
I drove around in slick mode for ages found it very similar to race mode but just a bit more snatchy.
In the end I found race mode better as I commute all year round so it's better in the rain and the icy mornings

the reality is i don't think i'll ever use slick, i like my bike too much and to stephens point it'll out perform me in every mode.

just heard that sometimes it doesn't work if not been activated and wanted to head that one off.

Putting the plug in makes no difference to any of the other selectable modes. Only if you put the bike in slick mode will the TC, suspension and ABS parameters change to presume you are running very sticky tyres on a smooth high grip surface.

Yes so I suppose it makes no difference whether you leave it in all the time or only plug in with track slicks.

I tried slick mode for the first time at Croft last year and it was quite a revelation on how much more aggressive and sharp the bike felt. Transformed what was already a beast into a monster. I work my way up during a trackday from sport (for the first session) on to race and then slick later on in the day if things are going well.

If you do get the opportunity to have a go with it you'll get what I mean.

Last edited:
the reality is i don't think i'll ever use slick, i like my bike too much and to stephens point it'll out perform me in every mode.

just heard that sometimes it doesn't work if not been activated and wanted to head that one off.
I was a little sceptical/scared to use my "Usermode" in Almeria Spain last year, but bit the bullet and went for it. I started off with full intrusion and noticed the traction control light flashing on every corner. As the week went on i went from -7 through to 0 and then +1 and then +2 and so on until confidence grew. I think i have got my + and - the right way round lol, but you know what i'm on about.
Enjoy your user plug............You've either got it or you ain't! Love it me...

Hi Ant
I've had mine in the bike since I bought it 6 months ago
( 2011 non sport )
I drove around in slick mode for ages found it very similar to race mode but just a bit more snatchy.
In the end I found race mode better as I commute all year round so it's better in the rain and the icy mornings

Im shocked with this, i have the 2011 non sport and never even debated using it as i didnt think it would do anything as i dont have abs or dtc. Might plug it in one day on the track in the summer just to see the difference.

Back