S1k Recall - Official!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got an email from my dealer, as I rang them on Saturday!

BMW release a statement Friday evening to all dealers, apparently, and it's the bolts as mentioned when at high revs on some bikes.
They are ordering me some bolts, and will let me know when to go in with bike. Will need my bike for about 3 days! :-[

Didn't have any recalls withmy 2 previous Ducati's, but hey, not fussed, as I love my Beemer! ;)

UPDATE!!!!!!

I've just had email back from my dealer confirming it affects ALL 12 plate bikes!
He was at BMW HQ over weekend, and it was confirmed.

Get yours checked guys!!!! ;)

Thats funny i just got off the phone to my dealer and they said its onlt certain bikes effected and he is waiting for bmw to forward on the list of bikes effected and its not all bikes? The problem is some bikes have left the factory with no locktight on the rod bolts.

SAME HERE

my dealer just confirmed only certain range of VIN numbers are effected so have to wait and see what these are.......not ALL 2012 bikes

it seems that way :mad:

think it is pi55 poor that BMW aint made an official statement anywhere as yet!?!?!?

never had any of this trouble with Yamaha and reckon if i hadn't totally stripped my R1 and ebayed all the kit then i'd think twice..... :'(

rr1diz link=topic=747.msg7149#msg7149 date=1335203876 said:

think it is pi55 poor that BMW aint made an official statement anywhere as yet!?!?!?

never had any of this trouble with Yamaha and reckon if i hadn't totally stripped my R1 and ebayed all the kit then i'd think twice..... :'(

1. lets have an intro fella or you will find ya name staying light blue.

2. i think that you everyone should just wait and see what is going to happen other than listening to idle chit chat. there is nothing wrong with the ownership of these bikes and in each separate case im sure that it will all get sorted.

doc

Firstly hello every one this is the first time I have spoken on this site.
I have been reading about the recall due to crank bolts on the S1000RR and felt that I should share with you my problem with my bike and see what any of you might have to say on the matter.
I bought a brand new S1K 2011 model this year in the UK, I ran it in properly, I had it serviced at 605 miles, I did another 140 miles opening it up a bit more before I raced it against my old bike a GSXR 1000 K6, on the 4th run over less than a mile it shot a rod through the front of my engine covering both my tyres with oil and leaving a massive cloud of smoke behind me.
I will try to upload a photo of this to go with this message.
I contacted BMW emergency response the next working day and they came and picked it up, they took it to the workshop for Park lane motorrad and the next day I had a gentleman on the phone checking where and when it was serviced and saying they will order me a new engine that day.
Just over two weeks later they rang up to say the engine was in and they would fit it tomorrow but the next day they rang to say that BMW wanted the engine to be modified before it could be fitted but wouldn't say what the mod was. A few days later still very concerned I rang the dealer to ask about the mod and still got no joy so I ended up Phoning BMW UK to find out what it was and register my unhappiness about having my new engine worked on. Three days later they rang back and said they will now order me another engine from Germany that doesn't require the mod, so I will probably have to wait another two weeks at least for it to come.
Also I wouldn't be quite so sure about the dates of the afected bikes as mine was made in April 2011.
Any suggestions or experience's that might help?

Docta13 link=topic=747.msg7150#msg7150 date=1335204229 said:

2. i think that you everyone should just wait and see what is going to happen other than listening to idle chit chat. there is nothing wrong with the ownership of these bikes and in each separate case im sure that it will all get sorted.

doc

whilst i'm sure it will get sorted, because BMW have a reputation for quality, i...and i'd assume many others...would expect an official stance sooner rather than later. i agree people should wait and see what is going to happen but unfortunately if BMW doesn't act soon enough then a lot of damage to their reputation can occur in the meantime.

it was because of the great customer care and build quality of BMWs (CARS) that i have switched badge..(that and the way the S1K has made a huge step forward in the litre clasee)

ps.....an intro??? i quite like blue btw

rr1diz link=topic=747.msg7153#msg7153 date=1335205527 said:
Docta13 link=topic=747.msg7150#msg7150 date=1335204229 said:

Oh well shit happens!

Look at everyone elses names they are green (full members) tbh I'm not really fussed but you will miss out on some areas of this site if you don't go and make an intro, that goes for all you noobs!

doc

whilst i'm sure it will get sorted, because BMW have a reputation for quality, i...and i'd assume many others...would expect an official stance sooner rather than later. i agree people should wait and see what is going to happen but unfortunately if BMW doesn't act soon enough then a lot of damage to their reputation can occur in the meantime.

it was because of the great customer care and build quality of BMWs (CARS) that i have switched badge..(that and the way the S1K has made a huge step forward in the litre clasee)

ps.....an intro??? i quite like blue btw

BMW has issued a delivery hold and is recalling 1,414 2012 model year BMW S1000 RR motorcycles to inspect and correct a potential problem with loosening of the connecting rod bolts. As a result of a manufacturing process error, the bolts could loosen and fall out. If this happens, the engine may fail, seize, and/or leak oil. Approximately 900 of the affected motorcycles are still in BMW or dealer inventory and will be inspected and corrected prior to customer delivery. Owners of potentially affected motorcycles will be notified by mail in May advising them to bring their motorcycles to an authorized BMW Motorcycle dealer to have the recall performed. The connecting rod bolts will be replaced and installed with a thread locking agent.

Please contact our Customer Relations team at 1-800-525-7417 if you have additional questions.

It does make you laugh though reading the american site. It is a bit frustrating that bmw aint forthcoming with info but they have said that its a con rod bolt issue and they will sort it out so how much more info do you need really?

My bike is brand new and at the dealers now but they cant let me have it till they check if its effected or not but lets face it i would rather wait an extra week for me bike rather than be out with me mates and have it knocking its plums out and leaving me stranded.

Whole situation has been blown well out of proportion imo and everyone needs to calm down especially the yanks with there law suits lol

I could not agree with you more, I am in the same situation as you, waiting for the bike from the dealer.

Thanks to everyone for the info on here though, it has been really useful.

Mine was due its first serivice on Saturday but got cancelled late Friday evening due to this issue.
Just spoken with the dealer parts will be in the UK in 2/3 weeks
Will call them back now reading this not 100% of all 2012 bikes or vin numbers affected
will post back as and when i get an answer on this

HEARD FROM MY DEALER.......

my Motorsport colour bike has effected engine....bolt kit is circa x3wks from BMW....cutting it fine to be riding it to the IOM TT

the Blue or the Red & White ones in the Dealers haven't got effected engines so yep only specific VIN range it seems and sods law mine was within

toss up now, wait and have repair, wait for non-effected bike in Motorsport colours or change colour....

initial toss up was Motorsport or the Red / White.....maybe this is fates way of deciding for me???

my dealer told me today that bmw is putting together a package part number which will include all the parts needed to do the repair.
these kits are on a 3 week back order,as soon as they become available we'll get our bikes fixed.

rr1diz,i,ve got a red and wite that was built in september 2011 and mine is affected if that makes you feel better!

i was also told i'm ok to ride my bike,can't remember who it was that was worried about going to the isle of man but i'd be happy to go for it(although i'd be short shifting all week! ;))

Just had a phone call from my dealer (Cannons, Braintree) who told me my 2012 red/white bike is part of the recall. I was told I should continue to ride as normal but not do any track days. I told him I have a holiday booked in mid May which will be the equivalent of two track days on the roads of Normandy. No traffic, no Police, lovely shell grip roads, 10k plus revs all day. He said he would check with BMW and get back to me in the next couple of days with what they say.

He also said they sponsor a racer who also has a bike in the recall. He's done over 6 track day/races without any problems so far.

I'm ok with getting the bike repaired and my only concern is the potential impact on my May holiday with "Bike Normandy". I'm not associated with them but they are definitely worth checking out. They are a British couple who now live in France and do weekend trips and longer tours. I've done around 10 holidays with them so far and highly recommend them.

I'm tempted to organise an S1K weekend for a maximum of ten bikes next year which is the maximum number they will handle (I've organised several trips before with them). I'll do a write up of one of their weekends in another topic when I get a chance.

Allan

Just had another phone call from my dealer - this time saying "oops" - had a second list of VIN numbers of which my s1 is on, oh dear, dealer again said bikes only really affected if you use it in slick mode on a race track, track day in a months time, hope its fixed, dealer said 6th june to me, he'll try bring it forward...

my 2012 black model due 1st service tomorrow (27th)
had no contact from dealer (chester motorrad) so be interesting to see what they say !Will report in after service.

Back