s1000XR Gen2 vs Gen1

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omatza

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I own a S1000XR Gen2.

Yesterday I did short ride on the Gen1.

It feels more responsive. More Happy.

Am I creazy, when I say I think about switching from Gen2 to Gen1 ?

Thanks

Could be the newer engine can be deceptive because it builds power more linearly?

The new one is mapped to deliver more at the top-end as it doesn’t have shift cam. So naturally you have to ride it harder to get the most out of it.
The earlier one delivers more low down in the revs making it more tractable. All in my opinion, but shared by a friend who’s just traded his 2022 model for a 2017 for exactly the reasons you mention.

I had both generations 2017 and 2020. The previous was more fun, the later was more refined and less fun. I ended up with a 2023 RR, giving up some comfort for ultimate fun!

From my time at BMW, I never really saw any issues with the Gen1 XRs.
I’d left before the Gen2s appeared, however I know of one that had the forks leak and ended up needing replacement fork bottoms (both) and then suffered warped discs twice (never tracked).

I have other friends who have had them for a few years with no issues.

Other than probably losing my licence, I wouldn’t hesitate to have one. I prefer the looks of the newer one, but the road riding of the older model :)

Thanks a lot

(Now I wonder if GEN1 is reliable as GEN2)
Gen 1 problems I had were : worn camshafts/followers at 800Km odo, changed in warranty (cost was Euro 2,500+ work if not in warranty!) and a dozen times starting problem due to heat to the fuel pump (solved by insulating bottom of fuel tank).
Gen 2 problems : toasted ignition coils of cylinder 3 once and cylinder 2 once. Lost passenger left footpeg. Failure of quickshifter gear potentiometer. All fixed by BM in warranty.

Thanks @Parmenion
I also lost the left passenger two times !!
(In 1 year)

How did you solve (by solving I mean how it will not happen again) the toasted ignition coils ?
(I also heard that it is an issue with the XR (didn't say what GEN)

Thanks @Parmenion
I also lost the left passenger two times !!
(In 1 year)

How did you solve (by solving I mean how it will not happen again) the toasted ignition coils ?
(I also heard that it is an issue with the XR (didn't say what GEN)
I didn’t solve it. I had the bike (Gen 2) for 10 months of which 3 were waiting periods for parts. I thought it was a lemon and sold it.
Waiting :15 days for coil 1, 20 days for coil 2, 20 days for quick shifter sensor (was ok but was changed to find the cause), 20 days for potentiometer, 15 days for foot peg.

Last edited:
I suspect that the lemons are sold outside Germany :)

Anybody else own a Gen1 and had problens ? (worn camshafts/followers ?)
I really think about going from Gen2 to Gen1

@Parmenion you sold your bike.
What did you buy instead ?

I suspect that the lemons are sold outside Germany :)

Anybody else own a Gen1 and had problens ? (worn camshafts/followers ?)
I really think about going from Gen2 to Gen1

@Parmenion you sold your bike.
What did you buy instead ?
Ten years ago I wanted a 'do all' bike, you know, touring, commuting, spirited road riding, maybe track riding too. I went the Duc Multi1200S way but the bike was totally unreliable, so I bought Gen 1 XR, and then the Gen 2. Having the bike unavailable due to issues, I realized that one bike can't do everything well enough for me. So I ended up getting a SV650 for everyday riding and a Busa Gen3 for touring and fun riding. The SV was a sweet little bike but too little for my body size so I upgraded to a VStrom650 and finally to a Transalp750. And although the Busa was a great piece of top Japanese engineering it was too heavy to enjoy riding twisties or tracking. I ended up getting a S1000RR 2023 for the fun of handling and power. There you go.

Latest posts

Back