Rusty shock housing?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevie

Reaction score
Anyone else's look like this? Looks like the metal paint has come off. 2015 model...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    978.1 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 125
How many miles has it done? Mines still perfect after 18 months and 5k miles

HPlogger beat me to it Stevie. I fit all my bikes with the shock tubes and fill them with WD 40 or GT85 every few months, I noticed the one on my other HP4 was badly corroded at only 18 months old so have used them religiously after that.

JimmyMac

Thanks guys. I treat mine with ACF50, but saddened to see yet another flaw in this machine. It's just not up to the quality you'd expect. I've emailed BMW so will see what transpires there. Also interesting to note your HP4 had the same issue.

BWM Are replacing the entire shock under warranty. Shocktubes are to cover the shock and protect it from the road crud that inevitably gets "flung" around the underside of the machine. My issue with these is that they, when wet, shall hold water and could INCREASE the chances of it rusting. Obviously you could take it off when washing the bike, but still...

Also - we shouldn't need to use shock tubes. None of my other bikes have ever experienced the multitude of problems i've had with the S'Thou...

Last edited:
Probably worth replacing the rear hugger with a carbon item that has the hole filled in so it attracts less crud in the first place. Vendors on here do them as do zero limits carbon.

After reading this post I ordered an R&G Shocktube, which I have now received. Are they supposed to have eyelets in them and what are they for?

Thanks

Hi Snooker, the eyelets are for the straw of a WD-40 tin to be put in and squirted loads. Also lets the air circulate and help dry it out, although the neoprene dries really quickly in fresh air.

JimmyMac

BWM Are replacing the entire shock under warranty. Shocktubes are to cover the shock and protect it from the road crud that inevitably gets "flung" around the underside of the machine. My issue with these is that they, when wet, shall hold water and could INCREASE the chances of it rusting. Obviously you could take it off when washing the bike, but still...

Also - we shouldn't need to use shock tubes. None of my other bikes have ever experienced the multitude of problems i've had with the S'Thou...

Mine all look brand new when I take the tube off about once a year, no issues at all. Don't really understand why a bike shouldn't need a shock tube Stevie, its just another device invented to help keep the mechanical parts of a bike protected from road salt, stones etc. Much the same as we shouldn't need Ventureshield, but lots of owners put it on to keep the painted surfaces from damage which is inevitable riding in the UK.

Great that your getting yours replaced under warranty though, take care.

JimmyMac

Back