Running in a newly built engine

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopper

Reaction score
Hi guys.

So I'm having to run my bike in after a full engine rebuild. I bought my bike secondhand from a dealer so didnt have to endure the running in period.

Just wondering if anyone can enlighten me as to what rev limit the bike will be limited to during the running in period ?

Is it 7,000 or 9,000

Cheers Dudes

Mine is new and is restricted to 8000 revs but I have been advised by the dealer to keep it below 6k for the first hundred miles. reading about it on the net it says change the oil after the first 50 miles then at 200 then at 500 but I guess thats for old and poorly engineered bikes built with larger tolerances. It also said not to go far on the first run out before stopping for a few minutes to let any hot spots cool.
I read that you need to avoid labouring the engine and once the restriction is lifted to still treat it with a little care up to 1k. also while running it in avoid running it at a constant speed for long periods like you would on a motorway, and in an article on engine wear and longevity it said that most wear happens on the overun so If I was you I'd just leve the bloody thing in the garage and brum it

The old running in debate, personally I would just ride as I would and don't worry about revs etc

Thanks for that guys. I'm liking the "just Burn it" Iv seriously thought about it lol.

I'm going to be running the bike in on Track and was wondering where the rev limit would be set. I'm pretty sure at 8,000 revs it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Ill just ride it normally up to 8,000 and see what happens.

Fingers crossed this engine won't eat itself either.

My 2010 bike was set @ 9000 until the 1st service. I revved it to 9k all the time when running it in and it doesnt use a drop of oil.

ps re docs post, I think BMW put the rev limiter on all bikes after some racers took the bike straight to the track and some were going bang with low miles on em.

We could always do a 24hr? 1hr each ?

You might want to do it this way?
Irnieracing.com 2012 BMW S1000RR break-in and ABS/DTC review. on Vimeo

Last edited:
@ Teflonkid not a fucking chance..

Found out from the dealer that the limiter will be set at 7,000 rpm.

Rubbish !!

I think you'll find the 7000 limit disappears after about 100 miles,then it's 9000

After an initial road ride I ran mine in on track.9000 revs keeps you on your toes with gearshifts though!-At least you'll know if the 'box is OK.

Cadwell is probably a good place to do it(apart from Park straight).I did mine at Snet and was backing off in top(std gearing)before agostini!

Nice one Baz. It looks like ill be having a new engine fitted instead of a full rebuild.

Good to know the limiter will change after 100 miles. I'm at Cadwell on the 14th Feb. very much doubt ill have my bike back by then. Will be using the GSXR

I think mine was set to 7000rpm when I got it, was hitting it all the time when running it in! lol :D I think I would prefer a new engine instead of a rebuild dude so you got the better option I think. :)

I think your right mate. Got conformation today that the new engine will be going in. Ill be running it in on circuit, so will probably take me about 6 months. May go half on circuit, half Dyno, not entirely sure yet.

Latest posts

Back