RR '15 won't switch off!!!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nevman

Reaction score
I did search but did not find anything on this forum.
Just came back from couple hours ride and my bike won't switch off! Took the key out and it is still on. Had to use the kill switch.
I have found a thread on another forum and apparently it is due to poorly designed key barrel.
Not sure what to do. I will obviously ring the garage tomorrow as bike is still under warranty but the battery will die before then.
Can I safely disconnect battery when all the electrics is on? Won't it cause problems when I try to connect it back on to get the bike to the dealership?
Also, do I need to disconnect both clamps from the battery or just - (minus)?

Thanks

OK. Just disconnected the battery. Only minus (-) though. And will ring the garage tomorrow.

Usually the ‘black box ‘ which the wires go into that then connects to the barrel pin. And it’s actually usually white. And it’s circular so don’t know why it’s known as the black box!
If u not under warranty I’m sure Stephen could help u out.
The plastic is crimped together with the wires inside , as u turn the key the terminals connect and start /stop the engine , ignition etc . These boxes are prone to cracking and then don’t turn back hence engine staying on
Thanks for the info. The bike is luckily still under warranty, so I will ring the garage tomorrow. I read on the other forum that apparently this is quite common on the '15's

Thanks for the info. The bike is luckily still under warranty, so I will ring the garage tomorrow. I read on the other forum that apparently this is quite common on the '15's

I've luckily not had this issue with my 15, but you are correct it is definitely not an unheard of issue.

Have no fear though as this will all be covered under your BMW manufacturer warranty

Update.
Rung BMW on Monday and the bike was collected around 1.00pm
3h later phone call with update confirming they need to replace the key barrel.
Another update today saying that they won't be able to get the part this week, so it is going to be next week.
This actually suits me well as I am away on holiday for two weeks and I rather have the bike kept at the garage than in my place. Just in case ;)

Its the ignition switch Nevman.....I had mine fail TWICE on my 15RR...it's a really common issue (cheap switches or a bad batch??)
It's under warranty so let your dealer know and they'll order a new one for you. They have to be coded to your chassis at the factory but only usually take a week or so to arrive. Yes you can just disconnect your battery without causing any software issues....you will just need to reset clock on dash and might loose any mode settings (e.g. suspension) you've programmed. Hope you get it sorted asap ;)

I did search but did not find anything on this forum.
Just came back from couple hours ride and my bike won't switch off! Took the key out and it is still on. Had to use the kill switch.
I have found a thread on another forum and apparently it is due to poorly designed key barrel.
Not sure what to do. I will obviously ring the garage tomorrow as bike is still under warranty but the battery will die before then.
Can I safely disconnect battery when all the electrics is on? Won't it cause problems when I try to connect it back on to get the bike to the dealership?
Also, do I need to disconnect both clamps from the battery or just - (minus)?

Thanks

An update.
Although it took over two weeks to repair, I wasn't too bothered as I was away on holiday.
Bike got repaired and returned to me on Monday. All sorted.

Thanks for all your help and advise.

Latest posts

Back