Road tax petition

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unbelievable that we pay to actually ride on these 3rd world condition roads. A colleague at work with a company Volvo estate doesn't pay a single penny in road tax. He drives 30,0000 miles a year , I barely manage 3000. What the f**k is going on??

I have just signed, it has a long way to go to get something done. 100.000 signatures is a lot.

Agreed Marzy, both of my cars are less to TAX than my both of my Bikes.

Jaysus Phil how much to tax your bikes
And how much to tax your cars
My bike is €88 a year and my missus car is €750 a year over here in Ireland
Always thought we were the ones getting Rogered over here when it comes to tax

Very interesting to see where the signatures are coming from, click "show on map" under running total of signatures.

JimmyMac

Unbelievable that we pay to actually ride on these 3rd world condition roads. A colleague at work with a company Volvo estate doesn't pay a single penny in road tax. He drives 30,0000 miles a year , I barely manage 3000. What the f**k is going on??

Not much info on bike emissions available but Ducati state that the new Multistrada 1200 emits 132g CO2/Km whereas a Volvo V60 D2 like your colleagues emits 98g CO2/Km. The diesel Volvo will also be chucking out all kinds of other unhealthy crap over its 30k miles a year v a petrol fuelled bike, CO2 emissions being used as a measure of environmental friendliness, and road tax payments, doesn't stand up to any kind of scrutiny and the whole thing needs a complete overhaul.

Last edited:
I've not read the Petition but I've seen plenty along these lines before.

TBH, I don't see why the VED isn't applied straight to the fuel they burn. It's all linked to CO2 and therefore, emissions, MPG and usage. And the latter is the key thing. The person using a Hybrid to do 30,000miles a year is NOT cleaner than me doing 3,000miles on the bike. Yet I pay more based on my CO2 potential/lack of electric drive. That's a nonsense.

TANGENT:-
VED is not the Road Fund License - that was canned in 1936.
VED is not Road Tax either so the Petition is currently complaining about something that doesn't exist.
VED is literally what it says (Vehicle Excise Duty) a levy applied to the use of a vehicle on public roads.

Ok so what do we want here; The way VED is currently geared it's all about incentivising the use of "greener" power trains. Greener/cleaner = new engines Euro 6 compliant.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_emission_standards
Lets be frank here - they want you to use newer cars not old ones. New cars stimulate the economy, old ones don't. So they use the green agenda to promote this. It's all about money not emissions.
/TANGENT

I'd personally scrap the VED for all.

Off the top of my head. Not thought through all the angles...
I'd replace the VED with a more exhaustive(pun) MOT, which includes an emissions test even on old cars. At the end of the MOT your car/bike is issued a license, with it's emissions/cc/mpg built into it. A simple chip or QR code on the CC sized license is then used at the petrol station to set the price of fuel to match the vehicle. With most petrol pumps being digital already this is just a software exercise. But most importantly you'd get taxed for what you used.
The MOT stations could in theory pull a fast one and emissions test the wrong exhaust pipe. But that's a different issue.
New cars would be issued a license that expired after 5 years. MOT's annually after that.

This wouldn't ban anything, but if your 1965 Aston Martin is to come out of the shed and run around then it's just going to be more expensive to run p/mile than the 2016 Prius. But maybe you'd still save money if it only clocked up a couple of tanks worth of miles a year. Company car drivers would be pushing more into the coffers...indirect taxing businesses is usually more effective than direct ones!

And all the VED chasing/processing costs are saved.

As for the Petition I see it as a little pointless and insular. We should be looking at a re-think of the whole thing as a function, not just one group.

/SOAPBOX /DAYDREAMING

when I posted this last night (my Bro sent me the link) it had 2400 signatures, it now has nearly 9000 , the word must be spreading.....

Latest posts

Back