Replacement light bulbs

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alien6872

Reaction score
Can anybody recommend some good HID bulbs? I was looking for some with a cleaner "white" light, possibly with a blueish tint to them and have seen some for sale on Ebay, but just wondered if anybody had tried these, and if they're any good?

I'd just be a little wary of chucking in a Chinese HID replacement setup in place of the standard bulbs. The stuff on Fleabay will most always be the cheapest Chinese sh*te...

Technically, it's illegal to change the light source under construction and use laws, given that the reflector is designed for one type of light and should be different for a HID.

However, there's no specific MOT test yet - as long as it's aimed properly and has a legal beam pattern, they shouldn't fail. Plod could still stop you if you're dazzling (which is likely given the pitching on a bike versus a car) and get antsy. They have been getting brutal with chav-hatches over the past couple of years and it's your luck whether you get a copper that would slam you in the same bracket.

I've personally never had an issue with the output of the standard lights, but your call - information above is just for you to make an informed decision.

I'm not sure about bikes yet (I think it applies) but cars fitted with aftermarket HIDs kit is now an MOT failure since Jan 2013 iirc.

Its not worth the Hassle fitting HID's imho. Just get a better bulb like Philips extreme vision.

I also remember reading an article about very bright headlights, one of the problems is it can make it much harder for a person to judge distance and closing speed. So making it harder for a driver to judge increasing the chances of them pulling out across your path.

I'm thinking of replacing the flickering candle for the spring too...... The main beam is okay but the standard headlight is a bit poor. Anybody else got any simple to fit quality substitute ideas?

Latest posts

Back