Reinstalling rear wheel

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickS1K

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Total newbie question... I was forced into removing rear wheel after a puncture to take for new tyre. Now having bit of a nightmare getting wheel back in, something I've never done before. It's just about the choreography of managing all the parts that want to - and do - fall off...

The sprocket carrier doesn't sit firm in the wheel, so I try to put it back in, spacer falls out.. I fix that, spacer other side comes out. Repeat in random order...

I watched a few YT videos but they all manage it without going through the same issues.

Any tips? Got to get to its MOT on Friday...

Cheers

I feel your pain! You really do need 5 pairs of hands to do this. I have also sweated and sworn and previously demanded the head of the designer of the rear wheel installation/brake calliper of the bike be presented to me!

Actually, after my last service with Bahnstormers, they handed me back the approx 2mm thick spacer. Apparently, having previously installed a pair of LighTech Chain Adjusters and it would appear that I no longer needed the spacer as I had dispensed with the stock Chain Adjusters.

NOW THEY FLIPPIN TELL ME! Aaaagggghhh all that time I lost, the missing skin, the oaths uttered trying to get that Chuffing rear wheel back.....

I feel your pain! You really do need 5 pairs of hands to do this. I have also sweated and sworn and previously demanded the head of the designer of the rear wheel installation/brake calliper of the bike be presented to me!

Actually, after my last service with Bahnstormers, they handed me back the approx 2mm thick spacer. Apparently, having previously installed a pair of LighTech Chain Adjusters and it would appear that I no longer needed the spacer as I had dispensed with the stock Chain Adjusters.

NOW THEY FLIPPIN TELL ME! Aaaagggghhh all that time I lost, the missing skin, the oaths uttered trying to get that Chuffing rear wheel back.....

Just be grateful Amit said he'd help me - you were next on the list to ask, lol :)

Whilst I appreciate that you need many pairs on hands for this, I don't really even have one pair at the mo - I've just found out I need another op on the ankle, and I may hear same about the arm next week, it was getting in the way last night..

Last edited:
Didn't know these existed until now... and having googled them they don't look massively different to the OEM ones, how do they work?

They have a small ridge on the part that goes into the dust seal that stops them falling out. They are well worth the money. I used to struggle as you describe but these make it much easier.

Hope your ankle is getting better.

They have a small ridge on the part that goes into the dust seal that stops them falling out. They are well worth the money. I used to struggle as you describe but these make it much easier.

Thank you. I too have just googled "BMW S1000RR rear wheel Captive Spacer" and got a set now on order. For the sake of a small flange, you would have thought that Motorrad would have changed the design of the spacer or even bought these in to fit onto new bikes.....

Colin, I do hope your ankle and arms get better soon, of course I would have popped over to help too, just ask.

Think it's more of take yr time? Never had captive spacers, never had a problem....

Disaster averted.

It was in 1st gear all this time and there was no play [emoji23]

cbf3dc85e09bc880887098d9ecc538e1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Whilst Amit was over "helping" the other night I realised that there was an added significance to getting the bike ready. I knew that I needed it ready for today, because I'd booked the bike in for its MOT (I'm sitting waiting on it now). 7th Oct 2021 is the day I left the house on a bike with a brand new tyre and had the accident I keep mentioning. The new tyre didn't cause the accident, but because I was going along really carefully bedding the new tyre in, I was going a lot slower than I'd usually ride that street (20 in a 40), and that appeared to be enough for the front wheel to get caught in the pothole that did cause the accident. It was therefore a little weird to realise that I would again be leaving the house with a new tyre and be driving through the same roundabout it all happened at. Not only is the pothole still there, it's a lot bigger than it was last year... still at least I made it past it to the MOT centre, but I'll be re-logging a complaint about the pothole later...

Sliced bread, dummy tits and captive spacers... each designed to utterly enhance our lives !..

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Before attempting to put the rear wheel in move the chain adjusters forward as far as possible. Position the wheel using a block or "wheel support buddy" and use a very long screwdriver to hold everything in place . It doesn't need to be exact, just stop things falling out. Next insert the spindle (using the screwdriver as a guide) and jiggle the spacers, caliper hanger into place. Remove the screwdriver and adjust the chain and torque up the axle. Pump the rear brake. Job done
You can do the same with the front using a long screwdriver to hold everything in place
Wheel support buddy here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353890048544

LeDuke, as per post #4 on P1 and a chat I had with MrSmooth, it seems you don't need the spacer on the cush side... I'm sure MrS will confirm when he sees this.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back