Rear hugger 2015

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richy170

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking at replacing the OEM rear hugger. I have seen various designs . What is the reason, if any, that it has a piece cut out of the centre. Will a hugger without the centre hole be ok as this seems more sensible to keep the rear cleaner.

Well.... i am not a motorcycle expert, but i am a mechanical engineer, and i m not sure why it has a hole !, battery box clearance maybe, possibly from wind tunnel testing, i doubt just styling as it really defeats its purpose to a good degree.

I think i saw a rather good solution from another member on here with ally grill glued underneath, which i think a pretty good idea to be honest. Or prep it for acrylic paint of your choice ? ( nice cheap change )

Anyway over to anyone else who has anything else to offer....

Ride Safe.

I've been using a carbon rear hugger with the hole filled in since 2012 it's now on my 2015 and never had a problem and it keeps the shit of the back of the bike

As Mr Dave says......BMW dealer told me its for battery box clearance. I know loads of people have replaced with aftermarket huggers without the hole and no problems reported. I think you'd have to hit a serious pothole to be maxing out the suspension that far??

Exactly the same on the 2014-15 ABS Fireblade. Honda won't even fit a hugger for you....they say it is in danger of catching on the bottom of the ABS casing but again i doubt you'd have a problem ;-)

I am looking at replacing the OEM rear hugger. I have seen various designs . What is the reason, if any, that it has a piece cut out of the centre. Will a hugger without the centre hole be ok as this seems more sensible to keep the rear cleaner.

The bit missing from the hugger is for clearance of the abs box that protrudes from the rear subframe. The clearance is fine with a non abs hugger (I.e. No hole). If the rear suspension is compressed enough to hit the hugger you'd have far bigger problems going on :).

Back