Rear brake failure!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleck002

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have what is probably not a bike specific problem but figured I'd ask you knowledgeable bunch before I get round to looking at fixing it on Friday!

So last night while riding home from work, I noticed the bike felt sluggish and the rear brake lever had gone solid with no movement whatsoever so naturally I pulled to one side and had a little look, only to find my rear brake disc glowing and seemingly the caliper locked on?!

After a few minutes this freed up and I went to finish my journey only to pull up to a set of light (having filtered between two lanes of traffic) for the bike to come essentially to a stand still after rolling off the throttle and then fail to move on under power. The rear had completely seized and I couldn't move the bike, imagine how much of a d!ck I must of looked sat in between two lanes of traffic incapable of moving!!

I'm assuming that maybe some grit has got into the caliper and caused a problem or possibly there is an issue with the fluid in the line? The bike is reasonably new to me but I have been riding it for a few months and have never had this issue before.

When I have some free time im going to have a look at bleeding the rear and probably cleaning and rebuilding the caliper, just curious if anyone has heard of this happening before or possibly had it happen to yourself? any advice would be much obliged.

Cheers!

Aleck.

common problem on these, not sure what causes it, but you need to leave loads of slack in the adjuster between the pedal / brake cylinder. if you adjust as you would any other bike i.e. not much movement at standstill / cold; until brake comes on - this is what happens, you need to back it off quite a lot then, adjust and check on a run. the rear brake is CRAP. also if you've got the nice cheap BMW rearsets there is no separate adjustment for brake pedal height - great. still rest of bike makes up for it!

Hi Aleck,

I think Mike is on the right lines there, if you don't have enough free play between the brake pedal and the master cylinder the fluid cannot return to the reservoir.

If you get the rear wheel off the ground and spin it, pump the brake and then try spin it again does it lockup?

Brilliant, well... its not brilliant, its a pain, but at least now I have a route to chase to get this fixed! I have a free afternoon on Friday so I'll tackle it then!

Cheers guys, much appreciated!

Aleck.

don't forget new pads, chances are old ones will now be f***cked

A similar thing happened to me on my old bike a gsxr 750
Turned out it needed new caliper seals.
The front brake locked on, not over the handlebars locked on but frightened the gick out of me all the same

Back