Re-maps, rev limiter and warranty!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yam-andy

Reaction score
Evening guys,
Have a bit of a dialema and would like people's opinions!
I have a 61 plate 2011 bike, I purchased the bike summer last year with 0 miles, unfortunately due to family and work commitments I've only just covered the 600 miles for first service, the warranty is just expiring, so should I pay the £220 for the first service and have the limiter removed and extend the bmw warranty, or would it be possible to have bike remapped and remove the limiter?? Service the bike myself and purchase a independent warranty? Not really in search of any extra power but like the idea of having less interfearance and better TC set up, what's you opinions and bmw or independent extended warrantys?
Cheers

Can anyone tell me exactly what this Hilltop remap does. (apart from the ridiculous hp gain claims).

same as a PCV. Sorts out fuel/air ratio's. Cheaper than a PCV+Dyno and one less added thing plugged in to bike to go wrong since it's using ECU. Traction control tweaks. Throttle response tweaks and not forgetting the ridiculous hp gain claims.

If you've got standard air filter, standard exhaust, happy with the TC then it's not really needed, but even then the BMW ECU settings were a general setting to get it through every countries regulations so even on a standard bike you would see improvements.

600 miles in over 2 years, wow.

Bike was aparantly sat on display and owned by leon haslam until I bought it in summer, should prob add I was out of action few month after breaking leg riding motocross too!! Usually do 4k a year only use of a weekend really, hopefully get some track days in this year!
My main concern is warrantys and how comprehensive they are, just from reading up my main concern really is fear of gearbox issues or switch gear, I imagine these will be covered by the extended bmw? was just thinking bmw have got you by the balls for the first service regarding the limiter, and if I'm not going to extended the warranty then were there options to remove it ie remap

Can anyone tell me exactly what this Hilltop remap does. (apart from the ridiculous hp gain claims).

Look at the graphs I posted from Hiltop, before and after. His remap also adjusts traction control/anti wheelie settings to make them "better".
I haven't tried the bike since the remap but the graphs speak volumes.

Post/thread on this forum

Regards
Davy

It,s easy to say you've altered the TC.It's very difficult to prove otherwise!

Well I would guess you would need to ride it and see. I will know when I get on the track next year.
No point in changing something if you are not having a problem with it. Many people are saying it's too intrusive and mostly riding on the road I suggest they move directly to Moto GP or at least WSB, and if you are noticing this after only 600m and with the rev limiter still in place...much respect.

The problem I experience is the violence of the anti wheelie but mostly on my home track (due to bumps on corner exits), it wasn't a problem at Almeria. I've had it reflashed and the power difference is obvious (on paper) as for the interference of the aids....only time will tell.
I do not really have to many issues with the traction control but Geoff reckons this was probably due to the profile of the 16.5" wheels / tyres over the standard 17".

Funny how most people are quick to negatively criticise stuff like this without having tried !! (not meaning you Baz)

Davy

Last edited:
That's the problem with having winter,no-one can find out at the moment!

I will certainly know with the Bren tune when I get on track-and if there is no improvement Bren will be the first to know!

600 miles in over 2 years, wow.

I'd want to get the bike to the dealer for the service without sparking it up. All that crap in the oil sitting there for so long is not going to be easy on the engine.

I would go bmw warranty and service if it was my bike. It's plenty good enough without a remap IMO, and you'd get piece of mind too.

Bottom line to effectively enhance the BMW electronics you need the HP ECU and Calibration kit enabled by a BMW dealer. Again though... unless you are looking for the last 2 seconds to run decent BSB pace on treaded tyres then the traction is great... and if you are running decent slicks then it will be good enough to run really good lap times.

If lap times aren't the ultimate goal then it's a mental bike to enjoy on track!! Pure grin factor as the power is nuts with the safety net of the traction at lean angle :)

Thats a quote from someone who does 1m42 round Oulton consistently.

If the criticise comment was at me Niven then I would not say I have criticised, I have just stated I do not believe flashing the ECU can produce 45bhp as has been claimed.

AS for the TC nobody will state exactly what has been done/ changed.

I'd want to get the bike to the dealer for the service without sparking it up. All that crap in the oil sitting there for so long is not going to be easy on the engine.

I would go bmw warranty and service if it was my bike. It's plenty good enough without a remap IMO, and you'd get piece of mind too.

I think your confused mate I only bought the bike in summer, I dropped the oil when I got it with zero miles, and I've done 600 since, so oil has only been in 6 month, prob will go down the bmw route, was not in search of more power from a remap was just a option.

Well I would guess you would need to ride it and see. I will know when I get on the track next year.
No point in changing something if you are not having a problem with it. Many people are saying it's too intrusive and mostly riding on the road I suggest they move directly to Moto GP or at least WSB, and if you are noticing this after only 600m and with the rev limiter still in place...much respect.

I never said I've noticed it being too intrusive after 600 mile with the limiter it was just a option I was considering after reading on here and other places it can be intrusive, last thing I was is a break in traction then cut in power followed by grip and a high side! I give it a go in anger first before I decide and if it's bothering me I'll switch it off!! One thing I have noticed even with limiter in place is what you have mentioned about anti wheelie, which is annoying even on a bumpy road, like I said I'll try it with it off as I like a bit of a arse about and wheelie from Time to time!!

If the criticise comment was at me Niven then I would not say I have criticised, I have just stated I do not believe flashing the ECU can produce 45bhp as has been claimed.

AS for the TC nobody will state exactly what has been done/ changed.

Nah, no criticism m8, I wasn't referring to the power gains just the need to do anything with the bike at all. If you are not having issues no need to change at all.
As for the graphs I posted...they are fact. Before and after runs. I was there when they were done and as most say the +45hp at 10k is more due to a poor base map on the PCV rather than a magical increase due to the ECU flash. The top end gain was +10hp.
If you don't believe them thats up to you but they are posted because people were interested in what the Hilltop reflash did.
Same dyno, same bike, same day. Purely before and after graphs. I have nothing to prove or lie about and I'm only sharing information.

And another thing with the reflash, the power restrictions in 1st, 2nd & 3rd (I believe) have been moved further out, not removed completely as this can destroy the grarbox.

But as stated already it's all on paper for now as I will not know until bike is on track again.

Regards
Davy

Latest posts

Back