Possible Valve problem?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleck002

Reaction score
Hi all,

Firstly I've had a search on the forum and around the net and currently I am only getting results that I really don't want to hear, horror stories of new engines and top end rebuilds!

Essentially I've had my S1000rr for 4 months now, and put nearly 3k miles on it and everything has been brill! Recently I have been noticeably hearing the valves fluttering away, sounds at first just like typical engine running noise, just quiet ticking. Although it does get louder with more revs, I cant remember hearing this before and it seems odd if it was there before that I'd just be noticing it now.

Im making an assumption there is a problem and it has happened recently. Am I being paranoid or are these bikes particularly prone to loud valve noises?

It seems odd that it would need an adjustment at 15k? I'd assume more like 30/40k, could this be the issue?

It is a 2010 with 15k miles on.

Any help/ info would be most obliged, or just some reassuring words telling me its all okay and I'm just being a motorcycle hypochondriac......

Cheers.

Aleck.

Hi

I think the valves get checked at 18k miles. I'd have a dealer look at it sooner rather than later if it was mine.

Right, thats the plan then, get it checked!

I've just jumped straight on the Valve band wagon, are there any other constant ticking noises that it could be, im pretty sure its the valves, but I want to rule everything out that I can. Are the exhaust butterflies known to loosen?

Thanks for the replies chaps!

Aleck.

Without hearing it i couldn't compare it to mine, mine has a slight tick and can sometimes be noticeably louder than other times particularly at 4k revs. Iv'e heard a few people say that the engines on the RR are quite ticky/rattly hopefully its nothing though buddy.

Auto timing chain tensioner gets a rattle on sometimes, had to change mine. Reports of chocolate camshafts but had no prob with the top end on my '10

the front exhaust valve pulley can vibe pretty bad during warm up and rises with revs it you blip it too soon, before its warm, other wise yeah, i have the death rattle for the first 1 sec of cold start, dealer says it's as the oil pressure comes up.

23,000 and no issues .. just POWEERRRRR

My 2011 had to have a top end re build 6 months ago at 19,000 kilometres
Very loud ticking noise
I'd get it checked NOW if I were you

Get it checked, but the beemer has cam followers and they are noisy simply because there's more components in reciprocation. Over the years I've always thought that you worry about valves if you can normally hear them and they go quiet....

My 2015 has always been tappy since 0 miles and got a bit tappier by the first service. I've put it down to the top end settling in. Nothing compared to my TL1000S though- TL stands for "Taps Loudly"!

Valve gaps get smaller with miles, so any ticking getting louder with age is unlikely to be valve gaps.

So it's booked in for Friday, the only day of the week I have free! The chap on the phone reckons it may just need the clearances done... I'm kind of hoping this isn't their 'go to' for any top end noise!

Anyway fingers crossed, I might call up and see if I can test ride a 2015 while I'm waiting, see what all the fuss is about 😝

Cheers for the input guys, I'll keep you posted!

Aleck.

Right, so as promised, an update.

I took the bike in the week before last and they managed to locate a 'rattle' in the top end. However it was late in the day by this time and obviously they were not interested in opening her up to find out the problem.

However I need to book it in again to investigate further, but I have been told just to get to the top end before they find the issue I will be looking at ?250! I am likely to pay this and more to get it all sorted. Just wanted some feedback on whether anyone has heard of this before or has experience with what it might be. The internet seems to point toward the cam chain/ cam chain tensioner?

I'm in the process of buying a house so all my spare cash is going that way, thus the delay. It's a ball ache as I normally ride it everyday but haven't since... :(

Also credit where credits due, they had my bike for a good hour and a half and I was only charged for half an hours labour, so far BMW have been great!

Thanks again guys.

Aleck.

Latest posts

Back