Please help me clear this up

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriskibbledj

Reaction score
I am confused about the whole cat/collector box situation, can i NOT buy a decat pipe off ebay for my 2012 s1000rr and just unbolt the cat? is the cat welded to the downpipes meaning IF i buy decat i need to cut the cat from the down pipes and reweld the new one?? seems a lot of hassle ?

I dunno about re welding but you do have to cut to remove and I think link pipes just clamp.....

Downpipes and CAT are one piece. They need to be cut. Decat pipe will clamp on to downpipes once CAT has been cut off. You need to cut the CAT in the correct place and it is better to remove the downpipes & CAT from the bike to cut it. Some have done in place but I've tried both ways and removal from bike is easier.

I think decat pipes will be different pre and post 2012 as the downpipes are different where the join the CAT. Pre 2012 is parallel and 2012 on are tapered therefore cutting is in a different place hence decat pipes will need to be different to accommodate. Austin Racing do a great decat system.

Davy

Easiest way for 2012 is to buy the header pipes and CAT from an earlier model then just cut the CAT off and clamp the new link pipe to the headers. Trying to do this with the tapered 2012 version is near on impossible.

Luckily a mate has some 2011 headers so that's going to be the best option then.. Thanks

Easiest way for 2012 is to buy the header pipes and CAT from an earlier model then just cut the CAT off and clamp the new link pipe to the headers. Trying to do this with the tapered 2012 version is near on impossible.

It can be done, I did it on my 2012 however there is not such a large piece of parallel pipe to clamp on to therefore the link pipe needs to be different to accommodate. Pre 2012 is an easier job and can be undone with sleeves. 2012 on cannot be undone without welding due to the taper.

The best option for most performance is to keep the original headers and the valve, it gives you something like +6bhp mid range compared to a full system, off course I found this out after I replaced my Austin Racing decat system with a full race system....doh.

Davy

Latest posts

Back