Just bought a gen2 :-) can you guys advise me on removing the cat please?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinnys112

Reaction score
Hi all I'm quite new on here and after a lot of searching I've bought a nice clean (standard apart from Austin racing slip on can) 2013 s1000rr with 4K on the clock. I'm chuffed with the bike but I want to get rid of the cat in the exhaust. What's the best way to do this, i.e. Stump up the cash for some headers or fit a decat kit like you can get off eBay? Also will the bike need remapped and if so were is the best place to go? Oh and I live in the north east :)

Hi mate, I've not long done the decat on mine , I bought a decat link pipe from a UK seller on eBay and also a standard set of headers incase I didn't like the noise, I cut the cat off on the bike with a hacksaw as I couldn't be bothered removing the headers , doing it this way is a right pain in the arse not alot of room to work and it took bloody ages, I would remove headers cut and re fit. the remap questions been asked alot and you will find millions of opinions, I haven't remapped and the bike runs fine , might get a power run on a dyno at some point just to see what is doing but I am lead to believe the bike learns to run ok.
One word of warning though it goes from really quiet to really really loud!

lol I don't mind a bit of loud 👍🏼 Thanks for the reply mate. I've been looking at the dominator decat pipe that's available on eBay. I think il get it bought and slapped on my trusty steed asap 😎

Hi Vinny, I too have not long since done the decat on my 2010 and found it was easier to remove the headers, clamp in a vice and use a hacksaw. When you're removing them, you'll need a 10mm socket but not a normal 6 sided one, it will need to be one that looks like a star inside. If you look at the header bolts you'll hopefully see what I mean. I cut mine quite close to the weld on the CAT so that I had more pipe to play with (fnar fnar) and it does leave a bit of the catalyst inside the headers but that's not necessarily a bad thing tbh. I've attached a Dan Moto link pipe and fitted a Dominator end can and my db levels are 98 with baffle in but does sound meaty. As for the remap, your ECU will detect the change in gas flow and should auto adjust itself. Are you thinking of fitting a race air filter too.? I think it will also auto adjust to this too but I'm not 100% certain on that. I've fitted a Rapid Bikes Evo fuelling module which is a plug and play system (it took 1hr20mins to install) that fits onto the coils, and has made a real difference in power delivery, smoothness of riding and SMILES ALL OVER MY MUSH!!!!! It's an alternative to a PC5 and is used by quite a few BSB race teams. It's also an auto tune system which means any changes I make or weather changes, it will automatically adapt to them, I don't need to get a remap. Doing all this has really improved my riding and I've managed to scrub about 12-15 seconds off a lap at Snetterton, in comparison to when I was on my K1 GSXR1000. 👍🏻😀 Good luck and please let us know how you get on with it. 😁

Latest posts

Back