Oil leak

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartb

Reaction score
Got a weep on the rhs engine cover...the one with the stretch bolts. I noticed I had scuffed the bottom two when the bike fell over last week. So the question is if I replace the bottom two bolts is that likely to stop the leak.. ive got 2 new ones Dalkeith sent me thru..

Stuart

stuarts phone

I think that should do it Stuart , am sure someone on here had the same thing mate

Good Soof
.. just read thru it there thanks for that. Just to be clear these are pretty much one use bolts, so would i be better getting all 7...popping the cover off either use silicone or the proper gasket and tidying the whole thing up or just slotting in 2 new bolts ?

Guess its just taking a punt !

stuarts phone

Last edited:
I have got away with removing and later reusing the alu stretch bolts, but only one or two on a side one reuse only. Replacing them all if you are going to the trouble of redoing the seal would avoid any weakness caused by the bolts having previously been torqued.

edit - yes I would take the whole cover off and redo it like in the linked post.

Last edited:
Think ill just order the gasket and bolts then...cheers for that Soof

stuarts phone

I just did Malics Stuart after your escapades last month, it's a very easy job, just make sure you put the liquid gasket on correctly and get the right torque settings.

JimmyMac

Aye Stuart, its just a liquid gasket that you can get in any motor factors for a couple of pound, got to apply it carefully around the sealing faces and around the bolt holes, it is really apparent where is correct by looking at the one you take off, I would suggest taking a photo of it before you peel the old stuff off so you don't forget where it goes.
It comes in a tube like your pile cream so you'll know to keep your fingers away from the applicator to stop you getting hairy fingertips again........

JimmyMac

Lol thats actually disgusting you...i never got round to ordering the bolts so Im thinking Saturday.. Dalkeith pick up a set...jump over to yours and get you to do it for me. Thats a total plan... see ye the morra.

stuarts phone

Haha, I'm living in the 80's all weekend up at Scone.
You could always come over in a DeLorean and I'll fix it for you last week when I had time, LOL.

JimmyMac

Im getting all mixed up with this past and present tense Jimmy... mind I was dropped on my head as a child!.. lol

stuarts phone

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back