Oil & Filter Change for me S1K

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriskibbledj

Reaction score
Evening all, I am off to the TT is a couple of weeks and want to change the oil and filter, question is which oil and filter do you guys use and where has the best price?

I have had a search but reading different things regarding the oil.. some 10w40 some 5?

Thanks in advance..

K&N Filter - different filter pre 2012 & 2012 on - Ebay
Silkolene Pro 4 - Opie Oils

I personally woud not stray from oem these guys put a lot of hard work into "getting it right" and it has the added benefit of warranty approval wether you fit or "mike the bike" fits .

Just ordered a filter from dealer, they said it's same part number all through the range. Power 1 racing 5-40 is recommended which I will use through warranty, ebay throws up some good deals sometimes

Last edited:
Ester based oils are the "best" but they tend to be most costly too. :)
Filter I'd stick with OEM too.

I will get an OEM filter from BMW tomorrow.

Does anyone have a link to the Castol 5/40 as i seem to be struggling to find it.

Also does anyone know if my cat cover will need to be removed to drain the oil?

Thanks

BMW and Castrol have gone to great lengths in developing the right oil for these engines. It all boils down to very close machining tolerances and using any other brand with a different viscosity will without doubt lead to premature failure. It's the same with new motor cars, once of a day most engine oils were fairly universal throughout the board but now a days it's a totally different ball game. Stick to Castrol Power 1 5w40.

I just did an oil & filter change tonight, oil is Castrol Power 1 racing from Opie oils on eBay ?45 for 4 litres.

I went with a standard BMW filter ?18 shipped.

As above, stick with what is recommended by BMW, not worth the risk to deviate.

I also fitted new Super Corsas and new SBS brake pads, all ready for the TT now :)

Cheers,

Mark

I have stuck with OEM filter from my local dealer was ?14 and stuck with the castrol 5-40 oil which was ?37 delivered from Germany for 4 Litres

Thanks all, Also just had some M7RRs fitted so im also ready for the TT

Where did you get your pads from Mark?

Latest posts

Back