Oban again today...

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartb

Reaction score
Good blast the day with Jimmy Mac and his mate Kenny. Met them at the Green Welly... headed thru to Oban for some Scran.. Jimmy was eating healthy.. (fish supper) I horsed a dozen oysters.. on to Lochgilphead, Inveray where we split. Good blast home...great day out... sunny but very windy..
1c5c05cc9f9e05e72e7642644614894b.jpg
9a07ffe546d4ee7ada67a8780a281471.jpg
ec74ff689d3542c5467c781b142c5d2c.jpg
d9f5175b11e5d43244a85c41172bebe5.jpg
eef2a52ccf1a627e3dc71ce4385c81aa.jpg
37e6ca0f4b37984fd137259314e7fede.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Nice pics Stu. Fond memories of Oban with you guys, same parking spot lol, good to see you got out for a blast!

Had the wettest holiday ever near Oban when I was a teenager, disaster, but those HP4's looking good in that sunny weather, wish I could have joined you for a blast and some of that seafood

Cheers for the run out Stuart, we never got home until after 8, good job I had that extra raspberry cheesecake to give me the sustinence to get back. Cracking photos.

Now onto the most important issue, tell everyone about your Chinese chain adjusters, I won't say "I told you so!".

No much, lol.

JimmyMac

Cheers for the run out Stuart, we never got home until after 8, good job I had that extra raspberry cheesecake to give me the sustinence to get back. Cracking photos.

Now onto the most important issue, tell everyone about your Chinese chain adjusters, I won't say "I told you so!".

No much, lol.

JimmyMac

Ha, they appear to be missing from the bike...

Looks like you all had a cracking day out :)

- Sent from Mobile

Ha, they appear to be missing from the bike...

Looks like you all had a cracking day out :)

- Sent from Mobile

Had a really good day out Alex, made even funnier when the chef at a tea room tripped up carrying a massive cheesecake and landed face first in it like something from a Tom and Jerry cartoon. I helped by asking if I could lick his face. Lol

in all seriousness Stuart has a warning for everyone about cheap chain adjusters, he was a very lucky boy. I won't spoil it, it's his story.

C'mon big man spill the beans, you can save a life.

JimmyMac

in all seriousness Stuart has a warning for everyone about cheap chain adjusters, he was a very lucky boy. I won't spoil it, it's his story.

C'mon big man spill the beans, you can save a life.

JimmyMac

I'm all ears.............. C'mon stu, a few members have bought those adjusters...........

Relax guys theres no panic. I had an interesting development where the one on the chain side failed. I let Stephen know as had had bought a set. So I sent mine back..its still to be established if its metal fatigue or a defect..

What exactly happened Stu?

I'm recuperating after an operation so in my boredom I had my cheap ones off the bike yesterday morning, dismantled, inspected, cleaned and greased and then refitted - 2.5K miles after fitting they're still bang on - I'm still very happy with mine.

Yea I think its a one off.. ok so I reached a particular part of the A82 where you can open the bike up..just past the Drovers heading to Crianlarich. When I say open up I mean just that... so on the big straight I was still accelerating and the bike jumped into 5th..I never looked at the dash strangely...immediately eased off...knocked it up and down a few gears....all was good.

Anyhow long story short...pulled into the welly and started chatting to three guys each on blades..looked at my bike and was pretty shocked to see the chain with about 6 inches of slack..the wheel had pulled forward enough that the chain had jumped a tooth on the rear sprocket...there was no missed gear as I had thought.

So their on the way back to China guys... Ive no evidence that they were anything other than faulty. Other than that Ive no idea what caused it. The rear was torqued as always.
55769f2a870f9d475fb2c7a766bac497.jpg
cba8d88b2519e90f8515ee2d7b3e9e8a.jpg
a8ac6a27aa9de1550f9c996a0a644652.jpg

So that kinda dismisses the argument made on here that the rear axle torque is sufficient to hold the rear wheel in place without further assistance.

As I have said before, a lot of Chinese manufacturing has little or no quality control. One item may be fine, the next not, the problem with that is you don't know which one you have. Alloy composition of many Chinese metal parts is questionable for this reason, and why I don't use cheap eBay Chinese parts for critical bike components.

Anyway, thanks for the info Stu. Glad you are ok.

I'm all for value for money but Ive often found its a case of buy cheap buy twice

Everyone is glad you are ok Stuart, forums are a great place to let other riders know what parts to seek and what to avoid. These are clearly the latter, three failures that I know of but on the plus point I can stop practicing my bunny hops.

Dug these out as I'm bored doing a VAT return today, held the world record briefly at 30.5 inches back in the day. Eight pack stomach too, lol. where is that gone to?

JimmyMac

Yea I think its a one off.. ok so I reached a particular part of the A82 where you can open the bike up..just past the Drovers heading to Crianlarich. When I say open up I mean just that... so on the big straight I was still accelerating and the bike jumped into 5th..I never looked at the dash strangely...immediately eased off...knocked it up and down a few gears....all was good.

Anyhow long story short...pulled into the welly and started chatting to three guys each on blades..looked at my bike and was pretty shocked to see the chain with about 6 inches of slack..the wheel had pulled forward enough that the chain had jumped a tooth on the rear sprocket...there was no missed gear as I had thought.

So their on the way back to China guys... Ive no evidence that they were anything other than faulty. Other than that Ive no idea what caused it. The rear was torqued as always.
55769f2a870f9d475fb2c7a766bac497.jpg
cba8d88b2519e90f8515ee2d7b3e9e8a.jpg
a8ac6a27aa9de1550f9c996a0a644652.jpg

Looks like the adjuster that the spindle head sits on has been gradually crushed lowering the torque, the chain pulling the spindle forward ripping the adjusting nut off. Guess that's why the OE adjusters are at the other end eliminating this possibility. Just imagine the power/torque of the engine pulling against that adjuster head which looks like it's just been pressed on....

On a different note, friend of mine looking through his R1 manual (latest xplane) and found the rear axle nut torque is 190 !!!

Latest posts

Back