West Coast Loop

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartb

Reaction score
Great run today with Rob (Flying Scotsman)... We hooked up early doors.... pretty much a clear run up Loch Lomondside to the Green Welly, for a bacon roll and a cup of TEA.. lol..he's too honest . I told him...."tell the chick it was Tea" and not Hot Choc I poured from the machine.... Hot Chocs like twice the price of Tea....in the end..he just couldn't lower his standards and declared the Chocolate..aw well he was paying lol... at that point I knew I could trust him with my money, women and cheap jewelry collection...I returned a missed phone call to Jimmy Mac... then we left for Oban Shellfish bar where a gang of robbers stole Robs packet of Salmon sandwiches.... two big shitehawks snatched his unattended sandwiches and next thing there was fuckin millions of them fighting over the dropped packet on the pier lol... bold as brass these Oban seagulls... Rob said to Anthony the owners son that he should have a Hawk type of decoy thing mounted somewhere...

Anthony proudly pointed out this hopeless Scarecrow Kite/fishing road assembly mounted on the roof of the canopy... needless to say it was 100% ineffective!... so he got a second packet gratis, we hoovered crabs claws, oysters and squid..nom nom.. left there, headed over Connel Bridge to Fort Bill.. great stretch of road that...on to the Commando Monument and grabbed some pics for Monners benefit, jumped on to the A86 Spean Bridge to Dalwhinnie Road, great mix of quick very long straights and catch you out corners to keep you thinking hard.. it's a great track !...

The penance you pay thereafter is 30 miles down the A9 to Ballinluig Diner is well worth it imho. Some grub in there, headed to Aberfeldy via Killin and the Falls of Dochart which is a trials section my mate rides in every year...Lix Toll, Crianlarich and back to Dumbarton....fantastic day out...good company, smooth riding and home dry, safe and sound... show me a better time than that !

513204143a6d891d3a19a1d99e350be8.jpg
c1d0d5e2d32207f41cea63c5ab30f4b1.jpg
ad6cff98e3f59fe1a433fdc122e7143f.jpg
535381ec919dc939e3deb6f9c298c313.jpg
b37c2697f60313ebd3575e695b69bf54.jpg
999ab8f55eddb04280020cb6cd23cd63.jpg
eaca4fffb9bf9684ef53b1de08891e0e.jpg
76b52ee1b72269037dbe4a2dbd6ef021.jpg
1a121c7942e7c069a8a7d6cbf4d45d47.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It was a great day out (apart from the seagulls nicking my salmon sandwich, but the replacement was delicious- worth a trip to Oban any day).

Thanks for posting the route map - I can show Jimmy Mac that I managed to avoid Aberdeen this time (unlike my NC500 detour last year).

The weather was great all day. Reminds me that there's no nicer place than Scotland when there is good weather in June.

Excellent write up Stuart, glad to hear you both had a superb day on two wheels [emoji41]

@FlyingScotsman glad to hear there was no Aberdeen detour, must be the new beard [emoji2957]

Last edited:
I?m just putting a plan together that?s going to let me do 600 miles with a smile on my face as quick as possible so I can get the run in done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a great day out (apart from the seagulls nicking my salmon sandwich, but the replacement was delicious- worth a trip to Oban any day).

Thanks for posting the route map - I can show Jimmy Mac that I managed to avoid Aberdeen this time (unlike my NC500 detour last year).

The weather was great all day. Reminds me that there's no nicer place than Scotland when there is good weather in June.
Yea it was a good run Rob, this year a dry day is a bonus....

I?m home on Friday for a few days, heard the weathers been bad but hopefully it?ll change for next weekend

I?m just putting a plan together that?s going to let me do 600 miles with a smile on my face as quick as possible so I can get the run in done

Mallaig, ferry to Skye, loop round Skye and back to Dumbarton is around 430... long day but 75% of what you need...

Mallaig, ferry to Skye, loop round Skye and back to Dumbarton is around 430... long day but 75% of what you need...

That would do it. I read in the manual that the run in is between 300 and 750 miles

That would do it. I read in the manual that the run in is between 300 and 750 miles

Yea, almost kill it in a day... it's a bit of a haul mind you.... nothing worse than having a governor on a bike when all you want to do is ride it normally...

Excellent write up Stuart, glad to hear you both had a superb day on two wheels [emoji41]

Yes it was an excellent run

@FlyingScotsman glad to hear there was no Aberdeen detour, must be the new beard [emoji2957]

My secrets out- satnav concealed in beard :)
No actually this time I brought an old school folding paper map!

Yes it was an excellent run

My secrets out- satnav concealed in beard :)
No actually this time I brought an old school folding paper map!

Lol @phil would approve [emoji851]
Don?t think I?ve used a map since GCSE Geography [emoji1787]

Last edited:
Here are a few photos to add to Stuart's comprehensive gallery of the ride.

Stuart and oysters at Oban

attachment.php

At the commando memorial

attachment.php

Stop en route

attachment.php

Last edited:
Only just seen this and the tag, I dont seem to catch much on this forum. I really want to get up to Spean Bridge and do some touring there on the GS as mentioned on the other thread about the Mull of Kintyre. Great pictures mate!

Latest posts

Back