Newbie interested in S1000rr next year

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomfulford

Reaction score
Morning all,

Like the title says new to this forum. Been looking for awhile at the S1000rr and I think I will.take the jump next year. Haven't riden for a few years, passed my test when I was 21 and started at the medium end I suppose you can say on a brand new R6 absolutely loved it but also respected it quite alot in the first few months. Read several reviews saying how the S1000rr can be the perfect beginner sports bike seeing as you can put it in rain mode and with all the aids you have at your disposal, im pretty sure a race school even uses them now over the zx6r and it will only go as fast as your right hand tells it. Coming from never riding a bike before to a few months later passing my test and getting on the R6 I can definitely tell I wouldn't be a dick or push hardin until I got comfortable on the bike. I also plan on doing a race school so I can get to grips of that sort of riding before I make my purchase as I believe you should ride hard on the track rather than race on the road.

Would love to hear your stories of your first experiences etc of the BMW.

Cheers

Tom

Hi Tom, welcome to the forum and thanks for the intro.

You'll be fine with an s1000rr, they are easy to ride sensibly. Get the bike bought :), get to know it a little, then do some track training if you still want to go down that route. We also get along to a number of road bike only trackdays each year so have a look in the trackday meets area to see what we get up to.

Welcome along Tom
You seem like a sensible chap
I use my bike all year round and I find it a pussycat below 7k rpm so once you keep it below 7 you'll be fine

Just do it. I've been riding for over 10 years, but the RR is my first full-fat sportsbike since about 2008, and I have found it dead easy to just jump on and use; despite it being significantly more powerful and lighter than my last sportsbike (a ZX7R), it's no more difficult to ride than a 125 or 250.

Welcome along, as the others have said the RR is easy to ride sensibly, Jekyll and Hyde...

Highly recommend the Road Bike days as calmer places to get on track. All track days tend to have a tuition option too. As for Race Schools..mmm well some are bonkers expensive and you can do more for less, but it's your cash. I'd recommend i2imca for Machine Control (Road Biased skills) and then James Whitham Track Training for the next step from there.

Thanks for all the positive replies guys I guess it's a waiting game till next summer then the fun on two wheels will begin again. Thanks for the tips on race school/road school will give that a thought too

The next big question is when looking should I go for 1st 2nd or 3rd gen? And reasons why would be great from those who have owned and do own so I get constructive answers from guys in the know rather than some Mcn race review haha

The next big question is when looking should I go for 1st 2nd or 3rd gen? And reasons why would be great from those who have owned and do own so I get constructive answers from guys in the know rather than some Mcn race review haha

Go for the best one you can comfortably afford, would be my advice. If you can buy new, then do. If not, then I'd go for whichever age/spec/colour/mileage you're comfortable with.

You could doubtless say that the 2015 is better than the 2012, and the 2012 better than the 2010, but one of the key deciding factors will be what you can afford to buy.

FWIW, I considered spending less of my money on 2012+ RR, but ended up buying a brand-new 2016 bike in the end on the basis that if I were going to spend 10-11K for a 2-3yo bike, I might as well spend the extra 2-3K on a brand new one and get exactly what I wanted (a 2016, with all the toys, and in the motorsport colours).

Interesting - the easy answer is go for the 3rd gen bike, its the latest model, has more toys on it, in some ways it is easier to ride (ride by wire throttle, blipper and cruise control), the geometry is tweaked, but....

There is nothing much wrong with the 1st gen or the 2nd (2012+) bike either and they are very good value for money for what they are.

A brand new bike with all the right boxes ticked you'll not get much change from ?17k. A very nice 2012-14 bike with FBMWSH and warranty I think you could find one for ?10-?12k. Go older and they drop under ?10k if you look about. That's a big difference, plus depreciation wont be as harsh. So you could put your toe in the water and go with a nice used bike for a couple of years to see how you get on and then upgrade if you desire at a later date.

I had a gen 2 and have had a gen 3 since March last year, I changed because:

- the gen 3 has a roomier riding position which is all day comfortable
- doesn't suffer from finger numbing vibration through the bars that my gen 2 had
- gen 3 doesn't have significantly more power but feels more responsive
- gen 3 has DDC which makes a significant difference on rutted roads
- gen 3 has an autoblipper as well as a Q/S so no need to use the clutch once rolling and makes for easier, smoother progress at all speeds

Last edited:
Interesting comments guess it's all about what's about at the time of looking really. Main factors will be when I test ride both and see which one I prefer as knowing me I will go for the most expensive with more toys haha

Hi Tom, I'd go with what you can afford, some great low mileage bikes about. I had never ridden a sportsbike ever until 2012 and bought a S1000rr after a weekend test ride, never had an issue with its power as, like you say it's only as fast as your right wrist.
Refreshing to see a very sensible ride join the forum, welcome in and good luck with your search.

JimmyMac

Hi Tom welcome to the forum.
You will have no problems handling the RR, the only difficulty being which one to choose.
Ive only had one which is my current bike so can't comment on the older models, I'm sure you will like any of them as they are all good.

My first one had no abs or traction in 2010 great to learn on then move To gen 3 appriciate the advances of the bike

I think price is the driver here and what colour you like!
I 'm really happy with my 2010, although I would quite like the heated grips off the gen2/3 bikes and maybe the cruise control off 3rd gen.
3Gen is supposedly a bit more powerful, but they've all got more power than you will ever need; I rode back from the Pyrenees in rain mode last year (electrical fault) and it didn't suffer compared to my mates bikes (inc another s10000rr, duc 1198, and R1).
so just look for a nice one, milage shouldn't be too much of an issue.

The 3rd Gen isn't more powerful. The light crank first edition has the most PEAK power according to a tuner I was speaking to (with no axe to grind). He confirmed he could get 202 out of a pre-11 light crank version pretty much every time (decat and PCV). The 2011+ with the heavy crank is usually 5hp down (I made 197) but the way it makes the power is more controllable, less peaky. Gen3's have Euro4 emissions restrictions. OOTB they are weakest, like the 2016 ZX10R is down on the 2015 due to Euro4. It makes up for it in other ways, peak power isn't really going to matter if the midrange strength has picked the bike up out the corner earlier and faster.

Yup. So the tuner said he was seeing 184 std. Ryan with his well spec'd machine is on 195, to my 197. I think the Gen2/3 have the same potential. But Gen3 is hampered by Euro4.

Didn't think the Gen3 was Euro 4 compliant, of the current litre bikes I believe its only the ZX10 and the 959 Pani that are

Back