Newbie Again....Old One Though :)

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yah001066

Reaction score
Hi All

Quick hello to all :semi-twins:

First post and went to Kwak dealer with my Z100sx yesterday for a new rear tyre....took out a GSXR1000 2017 for a test ride, nice bike......off to local BMW dealer after for a ride on s1000rr (Im 6'3" so size an issue) .......now chomping at the bit to get my new bike next week (well new bike but not new age wise). Wife not happy but hey ho!!

Went out on it twice.....soooo nice, just like to go out a few times a week for a good blast so should be good!!

Cheers

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new RR!

Where are you based?

The SThou is indeed a very accommodating bike for the taller gentleman.
What sealed the deal with the BMW over the GSXR?

Enjoy the forum, there's a great community on here, and may you have many happy miles ahead of you :)

Oli

Evening Oli, thankyou

For all the rain and clouds I'm lucky to live in Scotland in Perth.....sooo many twisties to get out and about on.

It was ergonomics that sealed it - when tall it's what fits better, RR feels a lot more roomy and I just fitted surprisingly well and loved it!

2017 gsxr100 was very nice but felt i was on top of it v part of it.

Welcome mate, which RR have you got? Not got round to riding the new GSXR yet, had one come past me while I was sat in traffic off the A1 this evening - could be any Gixxer from the last 15 years at a glance although they're obviously very capable. You'll love the RR, not found anything else I would change mine for.

Welcome along! Always happy to see we've won a sale away from the new upstarts :D

Evening mate, ahh see your question is loaded to confuse the newbie :) its a 2012 193bhp model, apart from year on year specs and HP4 am I missing something?

I went to take the bikes out and convince / prove i was too tall for a sports bike..........BMW proved me wrong and can't believe just how amazing it is and how well it suits me

Evening mate, ahh see your question is loaded to confuse the newbie :) its a 2012 193bhp model, apart from year on year specs and HP4 am I missing something?

I went to take the bikes out and convince / prove i was too tall for a sports bike..........BMW proved me wrong and can't believe just how amazing it is and how well it suits me

No you've not missed anything on your RR evolution top line summary but the devils in the detail as you'll find once you've been on here for a while :friendly_wink:, everyone friendly so ask away (or do a search) if there's anything you want to know

Last edited:
Yes spotted the little differences but most are all things my old bike didn't have.... Spend some time on it and when happy change again and spend some ?? on the spec I want.

Its got a few mods but the old whale tale has to go.....last evotech one on z1000 was a pain to fit so the easiest with no chopping wires will be my first job.

Soon be end of season so lots of time to play about and add things here and there.

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on the new bike, the anticipation is half the fun.

Evening Oli, thankyou

For all the rain and clouds I'm lucky to live in Scotland in Perth.....sooo many twisties to get out and about on.

It was ergonomics that sealed it - when tall it's what fits better, RR feels a lot more roomy and I just fitted surprisingly well and loved it!

2017 gsxr100 was very nice but felt i was on top of it v part of it.

There are several Scottish guys on here, and I've heard about your amazing roads!
Really need to ride up North one day and experience them for myself :)

I've not ridden the new GSXR, but coming from a Triumph Daytona 675 R, I agree with you the ergonomics of the S1K certainly have a "sit in" rather than "sit on" feel, and I prefer that too

Let me know if your coming North Oli... I live at the foot of Loch Lomond basically where all the fun begins... what we lose on lack of tracks we make up for 10 fold in our roads. You should make time to come up in the spring.

Stuart

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Let me know if your coming North Oli... I live at the foot of Loch Lomond basically where all the fun begins... what we lose on lack of tracks we make up for 10 fold in our roads. You should make time to come up in the spring.

Stuart

Cheers buddy, will do!
Spring will be perfect timing as should be finished with the PhD towards the end of the first quarter 2018 (if all goes to plan, touch wood, fingers crossed!)

Oli

Perfect timing after your dissertation... a week up here is what you need (as long as the weathers good)...

Get it lined up !

Newbie Again....Old One Though 😊

Perfect timing after your dissertation... a week up here is what you need (as long as the weathers good)...

Get it lined up !

Definitely!
This year's been somewhat subdued with the Thesis, so time up North on great roads sounds like the ideal medicine!
Re weather, will probably have Metzeller Roadtec 01's on so will be ready for anything lol ;)

Oli

Last edited:
Re: Newbie Again....Old One Though 😊

Thanks For the Warm Welcome, not long now till I pick her up....3 days and counting, hopefully no rain on Tuesday.

Quick question is what should I expect if I give her some serious throttle in 1st / 2nd in race mode front end wise..... Current z1000sx doesn't lift much so pretty predictable and can get the power down without many issues.

Will she get a bit fiesty??

Thanks For the Warm Welcome, not long now till I pick her up....3 days and counting, hopefully no rain on Tuesday.

Quick question is what should I expect if I give her some serious throttle in 1st / 2nd in race mode front end wise..... Current z1000sx doesn't lift much so pretty predictable and can get the power down without many issues.

Will she get a bit fiesty??

Not long now, bet you can't wait! [emoji16]

In Race mode, or in User Mode with the DTC set to Race, the bike will do a minor wheelie in 1st and 2nd gear on a flat road.
In Slick mode, or in User Mode with the DTC set to Slick, there is no wheelie control for 5 seconds, so if you use WOT in first it will point to the sky very quickly indeed, 2nd gear will wheelie too from about 9 K RPM onwards, something like that

Oli

Not long now, bet you can't wait! [emoji16]

In Race mode, or in User Mode with the DTC set to Race, the bike will do a minor wheelie in 1st and 2nd gear on a flat road.
In Slick mode, or in User Mode with the DTC set to Slick, there is no wheelie control for 5 seconds, so if you use WOT in first it will point to the sky very quickly indeed, 2nd gear will wheelie too from about 9 K RPM onwards, something like that

Oli

Its mad mate, excited like xmas and Im a grown man :) ..... can't wait!!!

Good to know thanks. No slick mode but can see you can get the attachment for a small fee...... think I'll be fine with race mode for a while.

Its mad mate, excited like xmas and Im a grown man :) ..... can't wait!!!

Good to know thanks. No slick mode but can see you can get the attachment for a small fee...... think I'll be fine with race mode for a while.

The excitement doesn't wear off, I'm like that every time I get ready to go for a ride! [emoji16]

Race mode is very safe wheelie wise, so there's absolutely nothing to fear, but even if you use Slick DTC in future the engine is really smooth and manageable.

Look forward to hearing your initial impressions in due course :)

Latest posts

Back