New lid advice/recommendations

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kipperfish

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I'm after a new lid mainly for road use, but it will include a trip to the N?rburgring in the summer.
I've got a Shoei GT-Air at the moment, and couldn't live without a drop down sun visor.
I'm after the following (in order of priority)
1) Sun visor
2) Light (my old neck is taking a battering coming from a Street Triple)
3) Cool (as in air flow)
4) Noise (I've got ultimate-ear ear-plugs so not a massive concern)
5) Looks (to go with my red RR)

I've been thinking of the new AGV K5, or a Shark Speed-R. Has anyone got experience of these, or recommend something else?

Cheers.

To be honest it doesn't matter what anyone recommends its the one that fits your head the best that you should go for.

X-Lite X-802R Ultra Carbon from helmet city price ?350-?450 friend of mine purchased one last week very light about 1000g nice looking with all the weave in.

whats wrong with the GT-Air?
Nothing major, just a bunch of little things. It's a bit heavy (for my weak neck), the sun visor fogs up very easily, and mine now has a load of chips (I've had it from release day, and ride almost every week day).

X-Lite X-802R Ultra Carbon from helmet city price ?350-?450 friend of mine purchased one last week very light about 1000g nice looking with all the weave in.
Looks like a fantastic lid, just a shame that it doesn't have a s sun visor, which is a deal breaker for me.

I have an XR1100 with a photchomatic PinLock insert (which the 802 will take). It's not as good as a drop down visor, well, mine isn't, maybe newer got better.

I wasn't keen on the drop down visor as this must be a weakness point between the two layers where the drop down visor sits. I did a lot of homework when I got my helmet and thought if the drop down part is as strong as a non drop down visor why haven't Aria made one.

I loved the drop down Visor in my flip-front lid, but I could never shake off the feeling of insecurity knowing the bit in front of my face wasn't integral to the structure.

I now use a Reevu full-face. The ability to ditch the mirrors on all my bikes and get through tiny gaps in London more than made up for the flip/visor convenience (although reevu do a flip-front too).

I'm after a new lid mainly for road use, but it will include a trip to the N?rburgring in the summer.
I've got a Shoei GT-Air at the moment, and couldn't live without a drop down sun visor.
I'm after the following (in order of priority)
1) Sun visor
2) Light (my old neck is taking a battering coming from a Street Triple)
3) Cool (as in air flow)
4) Noise (I've got ultimate-ear ear-plugs so not a massive concern)
5) Looks (to go with my red RR)

I've been thinking of the new AGV K5, or a Shark Speed-R. Has anyone got experience of these, or recommend something else?

Cheers.

I have been using a shark speed-r for near on 2 years now and it covers all your requirements. The only issue I have with it is the drop sun visor does fog up in cold conditions when stationary. so I have to open the main visor when I am at traffic lights etc to clear it.

Does the Arai RX7GP not have the ability to fit a sun visor?

I don't believe so. A friend has one of the gp helmets and that is his biggest gripe. Other than that he is very happy with it. If you know of a sun visor upgrade please let us know :).

avoid HJC ...i bought a RPHA-10+ and had nothing but problems with it.....terrible build quality....had to replace 2 visors due to locking mechanism snapping off (twice!) ....both visors leaked water due to poor seal ....internal foam gave way in a matter of weeks..went from super tight to feeling one size too big! .....so overall a piece of shit helmet.....avoid! ;-)

avoid HJC ...i bought a RPHA-10+ and had nothing but problems with it.....terrible build quality....had to replace 2 visors due to locking mechanism snapping off (twice!) ....both visors leaked water due to poor seal ....internal foam gave way in a matter of weeks..went from super tight to feeling one size too big! .....so overall a piece of shit helmet.....avoid! ;-)

Interesting - I was thinking about getting the Ghost one too...maybe I'll stick with Shoei...or Shark...or Schuberth...mmm

Interesting - I was thinking about getting the Ghost one too...maybe I'll stick with Shoei...or Shark...or Schuberth...mmm

Hey Alex...well my dealer told me they haven't had any other problems with the RPHA range except for mine (funny that?!) .....so maybe you'd be fine with the Ghost, but just thought i better share my experience ;-)

I got a lorenzo replica and I think it's a great lid better than my shoe x spirit 11 lol

Latest posts

Back