New Dealer for West of Scotland

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave80h

Reaction score
Just read on the BMW web site there is a new dealer opening up in East Kilbride just outside Glasgow. Thank god!! Hated that journey through to Dalkeith to get anything done to the bike. Looks like it is going to be quite a place.

Sorry, the address would have been useful info for me to add, wasn't thinking. Good place to have a dealer as the roads around it are pretty good, dual carriageway, motorway or twisty stuff ideal for demo rides.

It is open just now but very sparse as they are still doing it up but should be good once finished.

Sorry, the address would have been useful info for me to add, wasn't thinking. Good place to have a dealer as the roads around it are pretty good, dual carriageway, motorway or twisty stuff ideal for demo rides.

It is open just now but very sparse as they are still doing it up but should be good once finished.

Thanks for the info Dave, i'm just back from a visit. I got a tour of the place and had a good chat with the manager and it all sounds very impressive.

Thank God - looking forward to taking a look around. Dalkeith is a total PITA for me, EK will be like Christmas.

Popped in last night - it's going to be some size! Got the tour as well and interested to hear it's actually a partner in Motorrad Central who'd semi-retired and got attracted back by Dougie Park to run this (totally unconnected to Motorrad Central) new venture. Layout looks good, space for group meets, club room and the like.

Should be up and running fully in just over a month. At the moment, it's just a selection of new bikes laid out in one half of the room with nothing much else but a desk and some chairs.

Of course, important thing is going to be servicing costs and the like, as we've already bought the damn bikes, but hopefully they'll do well.

Opening night is in about 2-3 weeks. They are open for business, but the showroom isn't finished yet. My bike is currently in there being investigated after metal was found during a routine oil change - so far the communication and helpfulness has been good. Will update as we get further into the fix...

Getting a little nervous about these guys. After two phone calls after I got home on the day I took the bike in (both giving me the same incorrect information regarding my warranty renewal date, which I'd checked up on myself) it's now been a week and a half nearly and they've not got the engine stripped, that I know of. I've had to call them twice over that period to get any info, to be stalled and told they've not found the cause yet. On Monday's call, they didn't have the block out of the frame or the top end off - they'd just been poking around from the bottom end...

Now, fair play, they said they'd start stripping it on Thursday. Even so, 4 days so far to get an engine out of a frame and strip it down is taking the piss. Interested to see what they say when I phone them this afternoon (if I've not had an update by that stage) and make that point - I've been very understanding and accepting so far. Time to start asking questions...

In the interests of fairness - they are working out of the car workshop currently while the bike specific one is completed - so I'd imagine it's not as smooth as they'd hope. I would have appreciated notification of potential delay in advance though - my conversation with the service guy in the first place insinuated that it'd be quite possible to get the bike back that week!

Quick update as I called for info (bearing in mind that when I last spoke to them Monday lunchtime, the service guy advised that they were going to drop the engine out and pull the head that afternoon)

Service guy wouldn't speak to me (heard a muffled conversation with the hand over the receiver - believe he might have been on another call, to be fair) Now claiming end of play Thursday for the engine to be stripped. Blaming work that had been booked in prior to my bike arriving and them discovering the problem. Interestingly, last Monday when I was there, taking the bike in, the service guy (can't tell if he's manager or not - seems to act like it) told me I was fortuitous as they had a quiet workshop after a couple of jobs Tuesday/Wednesday so they could crack on with it. So in the very best case, they've booked more work in, while my bike was there awaiting strip and repair. Can only imagine they are keener to get paying work through quickly, rather than working on something they'll need to wait for the warranty company to reimburse.

So, no, not impressed at the moment.

I know they are keen to get paying work in but to be honest I think they opened far too early, place is still a bit of building site. Not ideal if they're having to work out the car workshop. I've obviously missed it, what was the problem with the bike that it needs stripped?

Was in for routine oil change service (so not complicated - decided to try them out) Pulled the sump plug to find three large chunks of metal stuck to it that were initially thought to be gearbox related, but now seem not to be. More bits have subsequently been found, but they are none the wiser (that they've told me) about what they are. Still under warranty, thankfully.

Ah I see. Keep us posted how it goes as mine is due a service soon and almost out of warranty.

Well had my first experience with service dept if Douglas Park Motorrad today. Have to say it was very positive, needed tyres and they did them straight away with no issues. I know it's only a pair of tyres and not the most complicated thing but they were all very helpful and pleasant enough.

Went in for a visit. Apparently the open weekend is the 22nd of June so they avoid the TT etc.

Saw your bike Shug. There's no engine in it! But you knew that anyway. :)

Current status is still ongoing...

Have figured out that the guy I was originally dealing with is not the service manager, who was either on holiday, or not started yet (I'm thinking on holiday) when my bike went in. Explains the lack of direction a little more - I think the guy dealing with me was flapping a wee bit - never unpleasant at all, but didn't have many answers... I was abroad on holiday last week and the actual service manager called on Thursday to explain that they'd finished stripping the engine and found nothing broken. So the metal chunks (6 in all) were a foreign body. They've sent photos off to BMW of the parts (which do assemble together) to see if they can identify what it is - possibly a tool used in original construction.

So I'm still waiting. I'm really trying to give the guys there the benefit of the doubt, but I do have to say that my experience so far hasn't been as I'd wish from a main dealer. Quite bad communication, plus when the problem was initially found and I was standing in the showroom in my leathers, there was no hint of a courtesy bike. At that time, the chat was it could be fixed that week, so I wasn't too bothered. Now it's heading for a month - a good 2 and a half weeks of that, just to take an engine out, pull off the sump, remove the gearbox and take off the head... Realistically, a job which can be done in a day if they are focusing on it. That's my issue with this so far - I'm feeling treated like I'm getting work done in their spare time, when I'm a warranty customer, so it's fully paying work.

Current status is still ongoing...

Have figured out that the guy I was originally dealing with is not the service manager, who was either on holiday, or not started yet (I'm thinking on holiday) when my bike went in. Explains the lack of direction a little more - I think the guy dealing with me was flapping a wee bit - never unpleasant at all, but didn't have many answers... I was abroad on holiday last week and the actual service manager called on Thursday to explain that they'd finished stripping the engine and found nothing broken. So the metal chunks (6 in all) were a foreign body. They've sent photos off to BMW of the parts (which do assemble together) to see if they can identify what it is - possibly a tool used in original construction.

So I'm still waiting. I'm really trying to give the guys there the benefit of the doubt, but I do have to say that my experience so far hasn't been as I'd wish from a main dealer. Quite bad communication, plus when the problem was initially found and I was standing in the showroom in my leathers, there was no hint of a courtesy bike. At that time, the chat was it could be fixed that week, so I wasn't too bothered. Now it's heading for a month - a good 2 and a half weeks of that, just to take an engine out, pull off the sump, remove the gearbox and take off the head... Realistically, a job which can be done in a day if they are focusing on it. That's my issue with this so far - I'm feeling treated like I'm getting work done in their spare time, when I'm a warranty customer, so it's fully paying work.

My experience of dealers doing extensive warranty work like this is that you'll be waiting 2 months minimum, there is a lot of back and forth between the dealer, engineers and the manufacturer.

Back