New bike

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren jones

Reaction score
Hi all new to the forum and also s1000rr got bike brand new on Friday BMW said they put a full tank of fuel in and at a quick glance looking in the tank I believe they did. Today after about 80 miles running it in the fuel light has come on I am surprised this early with not many miles. Is this due to running in?

Thanks for your help in advance Darren

Get used to it the range and tank size is poor compared to my previous Fireblade just call it a sacrifice for performance. I done 350 miles now it gets better!

The light is shite
Reckon you'll get about 120 to a tank on the road , fuck all on the track
I hve managed 160 miles in France with no fuel a few years ago

At least you have the countdown on the dash to let you know how many miles you have left.Light usually comes on around 34mile(dependent on your riding),though doesn't last as long on track.Although they topped it up,they probably didn't fill it to the brim with the bike upright(save a few quid!).

I commented in another thread about this other day.

Most i've ever got out of it is 147 in Rain mode riding to try and conserve fuel.

My Average is 60/80 in Race mode and 100/120 in Rain.

My fuel light comes on stating 24 miles to go, drops to 18 quickly, then seems correct down to 0. I have got 2.8 miles when read out said 0 and when filling it up turned out I still had 310ml of fuel in tank.

I had a similar experience to Darren when I collected my brand new F800 a couple of years ago, in that the fuel light went on wayyyyy earlier than I expected. I suspect Baz's explanation of what a full tank means to a dealer contributed to this (I didn't think to check back then) - was never really sure if it was a new bike thing, or a dodgy dealer.

I didn't get a repeat of this when I got my RR, and was amazed I got c.125 miles before the fuel light came on telling me I had 35 to go. I still have it in my head that I get close to 150 miles from a tank, inc reserve, although of course I don't always.......must work on my economic riding...errrr..

My first fill up on the bike was around 80miles, thought umm....this bike is a big mistake.

Improved with more miles on th clock

My riding style I get just under 120miles (race mode) before the light comes on with circa 30miles range shown before empty.

I find sport mode gives less mpg for some reason.

It will get better, I'm the same as every one else. Light comes on between 115 and 125 miles and then gives me the range count down. That's on race and quite spirited riding, get better mileage when I use fuel, like Shell V power.

Only fuel i've ever used is Tesco's momentum. Because i'm putting in £30+ a week the wife likes her points to be collected.

i have just got 139 miles to tank full with six remaining on the dash but all i have been doing is commuting to work and back i normally get about 120 miles to a tank full on a run out
a damm site better than my rc8r which i only got 80 miles to tank full on that

Back