New 2016 S1000rr or used HP4?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toffeeboy

Reaction score
Hi

I'm thinking of changing my S1000RR and am faced with a dilemma, do i buy a brand new bike or go for a used HP4, anyone made the change either way?

Also standard HP4 or pay the extra and go carbon

Thanks in advance for you help

Totally personal choice hp 4 for exclusiveness and brilliant colour and akro . Or gen 3 for newer model few tweeks and lovely downshifter .

Totally personal choice hp 4 for exclusiveness and brilliant colour and akro . Or gen 3 for newer model few tweeks and lovely downshifter .

Which rides the best, it's difficult to get a back to back demo and tbh I'm more interested in how people have found living with one versus the other if that's possible as short test rides will no doubt both be an improvement over my extisting RR?

I agree with Sissy.

I have owned an HP4 from new since 2013, currently with 11k miles on it. I use it for ride outs and trackdays. Occasionally for a week trip here or there. It does everything it should. It has taken me nearly three years to get the setup exactly as I want it but that is just me being picky. It is a brilliant bike and always puts a smile on my face when I ride it.

I had the good fortune to have a 3rd gen bike for a few days and a trackday earlier this year. There is absolutely no doubt it is a brilliant machine. IMO the 3rd gen bike is a little softer than the HP4, it is more roomy, the bars are wider, auto blipper, cruise control, ride by wire throttle. I thoroughly enjoyed my time on it and found it very easy to ride fast, maybe easier than the HP4 which can be a bit of handful at times.

So it does come down to preference and personality. If you are after something different that is a bit of a monster then the HP4 would be my choice, and is :). If you aren't interested in the exclusivity and want the bike to do everything (commuting, touring, trackdays, ride outs) then the 3rd gen is going to be easier to get on with.

If my HP4 was written off / stolen, I would get a 3rd gen to replace it because I wouldnt want a second hand HP4. Maybe thats the answer?

Lind in Norwich have an HP4 Carbon and it's an absolute stunning piece of machinery, for me it's artwork, both versions of the HP4. If I went HP4 route it would have to be an the carbon version but it's not new but it is exclusive.

However, as above, is the new RR a better bike it probably is but depends what for and it isn't exclusive.

I wish I was in your position to have a choice but it is totally a individuals choice. (Sitting on the fence!)

Hi

I'm thinking of changing my S1000RR and am faced with a dilemma, do i buy a brand new bike or go for a used HP4, anyone made the change either way?

Also standard HP4 or pay the extra and go carbon

Thanks in advance for you help

Agree with the points made by the others, what is it about your current S1000 (is it a gen 1 or 2) that you dislike or would like to be better? That might help you decide.

Now there's a dilemma
Hoping I'll be in the same position as you next year
So I'm very interested in hearing what everyone has to say

Mine current bike is a 2011, nothing about it I don't like, it's a great bike hence I thought an upgrade might be in order especially with the additional DDC and theres a couple of very low miler HP4 on the market making it a tempting option

The thing I can't get my head around is what is special about the HP4? OK limited edition but there are far more of them about for sale than say the HP2. Current bike is as good if not better , if you added carbon to a new bike and had it painted blue/white who could tell difference (apart from newer number plate) and you would have a one owner bike (you) for the same money as a two+ year old bike. In my opinion a TRUE limited edition vehicle is one that is no longer produced in a similar (read better) version later e.g. Honda RC30 /RC45 .

Mine current bike is a 2011, nothing about it I don't like, it's a great bike hence I thought an upgrade might be in order especially with the additional DDC and theres a couple of very low miler HP4 on the market making it a tempting option

Best thing to do is take a gen3 out for a test ride

The thing I can't get my head around is what is special about the HP4? OK limited edition but there are far more of them about for sale than say the HP2. Current bike is as good if not better , if you added carbon to a new bike and had it painted blue/white who could tell difference (apart from newer number plate) and you would have a one owner bike (you) for the same money as a two+ year old bike .

That's exactly the issue I'm trying to resolve

Not knowing type of owner you are, would you get more use out of the current RR rather than having an HP4 which you might be concerned taking out? Would you look at an HP4 as a potential investment or a bike that you would ride as much as your current bike?

That's exactly the issue I'm trying to resolve

The HP4 was a technical demonstrator in limited volumes for race homologation.

The 2015+ took the lessons from that and applied them to a more road focussed product.

Not knowing type of owner you are, would you get more use out of the current RR rather than having an HP4 which you might be concerned taking out? Would you look at an HP4 as a potential investment or a bike that you would ride as much as your current bike?

I would use an HP4 in exactly the same way I use my current bike, I'm a fair weather rider and don't do massive miles so whatever I buy will not end up with hugh miles but a bike is there to be ridden IMO

The thing I can't get my head around is what is special about the HP4?, if you added carbon to a new bike and had it painted blue/white who could tell difference.

Me, in the same was a Ford enthusiast could tell the difference between a RS 2000 and a replica. You could pay more buying a bike and making a replica than actually buying the real thing.

JimmyMac

I'd say test ride both even if you have to travel to the right dealer.....i'd guess the HP4 is still more desirable to bike thieves due to all the HP parts so that might be something to bear in mind?? I've done 10k on my gen 3 now and loving it....cruise control is an absolute god send on long trips and i can't imagine owning another bike without a down blipper! ....i totally agree with Sissy.....yes the HP4 is definitely a bit more special but IMO the gen 3 is a better all round road bike. Whatever you choose, enjoy!! They're both beasts! :wink-new:

Latest posts

Back