Mobile speed van

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porridgewog

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Great, first ticket ever passing a speed van. Thought I slowed down enough before they got me and must've noted my reg no as I passed. 77 in a 60 near Skye.

Bikers beware!

I was done last year doing 82 in a 70 and opted for the one day course to save points. Do however wonder what would happen if you just parked up in front of those vans, you need to pass them for them to get your number plate and fully record your speed. So if you didn't pass and parked up in front of it what could they do???

Had my first points only a couple of months ago lol haven't been nicked in years for speeding! 75mph on duel carriage...nope not the Beemer but a bloody van lol

How far out do these speed vans get you? Wondering as I saw one while in the driving the cage but he was a bit away just not sure if they ping you with a Laser and take the pic as you get closer.

The laser distance has a maximum of 1000m (theoretical).

Most of the mobile speed vans with the average equipment used by most counties police will ping you with laser at furthest they can, then will wait until you're closer to photo license plate (on a bike you have to ride past the van for them to photo back of bike), as the theoretical distance for there camera's is only 500m but in actual is about 250m for the plate to be readable (and thats a standard UK legal plate size)

I actually appealed one once and got it squashed. I argued that because I had no license plate on front of vehicle the bike pinged from the front could be a different bike photo'd from behind passing the police van. My bike, helmet and leathers were all readily common equipment. I was only doing 37 in a 30 so perhaps they just didn't want the hassle lol.

Theres 2 hot spots they park around my way, both places you can't see them until your about 50m away. usually find a friendly car driving will flash lights.

Latest posts

Back