MCN 2017 Superbike Shootout

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Certi

Reaction score

A good showing from the BMW, 2nd fastest on track despite being the second heaviest.

Surprised how little power the Suzuki is putting out with that standard exhaust on.

Yeah looked at it earlier
Was expecting great things from the suzuki
Thought it might be a game changer but a big disappointment

They mark the BMW down for having an inline 4 and yet the honda has a inline 4, I don't rate their views as the R1 was ahead of the BM a couple of years ago yet there has been little change to either and the bMW is now above the R1. Oh reeves is not having a R1 long term this year. HMMMM i winder if he will be having a Honda??

I had a test ride on the new fire blade SP this week and its not better than the BMW,

Neeves has admitted he can't praise the BMW too much cause he races one.

- Sent from Mobile

A good showing from the BMW, 2nd fastest on track despite being the second heaviest.

Surprised how little power the Suzuki is putting out with that standard exhaust on.

It's all subjective really as to how skillful the rider is in extracting the best out of a bike.

Was at my local track Saturday and Bob Collins (ex superstock, FWR tyres) was there on the his new Gixxer, looked pretty damn quick to me lol.

What struck me was the comment at the start of the video about the BMW. Neevesy essentially says the bike is the best mix. It's a monster on track and with all the refinements its fantastic on the road. Surely this test should be about the best bike all round? I like how Motorcycle.com???? do it in the states as they give the bikes points in each category. Highest points wins. The MCN "debate" seems far more open to influence.

It's all subjective really as to how skillful the rider is in extracting the best out of a bike.

Was at my local track Saturday and Bob Collins (ex superstock, FWR tyres) was there on the his new Gixxer, looked pretty damn quick to me lol.

He's heading to Jerez for the same trip I'm on. I shall take a look :)

Those figures at the end - the bimmer only misses out on top spot for each test by 1 place... still very glad i spent my money with the Bavarians. They should have factored in initial costs, dealer availability, warranty, reliability, service costs, insurance, fuel consumption, resale value and aftermarket options. Also, did I mention that I prefer the BMW?

Does the RR sport really offer enough differences over and above the (rare?) standard RR? The e-suspension is probably the biggest difference but the R1-M comes with some carbon bits in addition, and a 20k price tag. I'm sure with the extra 3k you could stick a nice system on the RR and put some lightweight parts on there to make it top a few of those charts rather than being pipped all the time. Also, did I mention I still prefer the BMW? :)

3 of the top 4 cost ?20k. The other is a BMW...and my fully spec'd one was under ?17k

Those figures at the end - the bimmer only misses out on top spot for each test by 1 place... still very glad i spent my money with the Bavarians. They should have factored in initial costs, dealer availability, warranty, reliability, service costs, insurance, fuel consumption, resale value and aftermarket options. Also, did I mention that I prefer the BMW?

Don't forget this was the Euro 4, so that 4kg difference means a 15/16 would of had the extra top end and track time due to a higher power to weight difference (lol see if that comment winds anyone up ;)

Tank range and every day usability fall hands down to the BMW. You know this as GixxerChick didn't ramp up 32k miles on a RSV4 in a year (+ Norton dropped the Aprilia V4 due to reliability concerns)

Im guessing that the V4 Panigale replacement will be next years shootout winner?

Last edited:
3 of the top 4 cost ?20k. The other is a BMW...and my fully spec'd one was under ?17k

When the s1k gen 1 was launched Im sure it was around ?13k?

At the time obviously more then Japanese offerings. How times have changed & its now the best value when spec'd up (taking in to account extras like DDC , CC & autoblipper)

Also worth noting that the others have had a long time playing the sports bike game, BMW started in 2010 and have come a long way in only a few years.

Also worth noting that the others have had a long time playing the sports bike game, BMW started in 2010 and have come a long way in only a few years.

You are forgetting the legendary exploits of Georg "Schorsch" Meier who won the Senior TT for BMW in 1939, under a Nazi flag no less.

Only know about him as he was at school with Roadrunner, hahahahahaha.

JImmyMac

Am I the only one who thinks that Jap bikes are bland to look at, the new gixer looks like one from 10 years ago with a scud missile plonked on the side for an exhaust, the new blades front fairing is to narrow and the rear fairing is an after thought and the zx10 is just boring With no imagination when designing it, being a bike designer in Japan must be one of the easiest jobs around. When you compare the styling with most European bikes there is no comparison IMO, it's not all about how fast they go when purchasing a new bike but also what they look like, it's like when looking at women, it's no good being the best shag if you look like Susan Boyle.
anyway it's a no brainer the Beemer wins hands down as an alround package.

You are forgetting the legendary exploits of Georg "Schorsch" Meier who won the Senior TT for BMW in 1939, under a Nazi flag no less.

Only know about him as he was at school with Roadrunner, hahahahahaha.

JImmyMac
And Jimmy was their teacher lolol

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back