Main frame paint problem

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julestys

Reaction score
I got my 2016 S1000RR in April and it has a paint problem on the main frame.
Both sides at the bottom, so adjacent to the gear change and rear brake lever.
The black has gone dull in sections, as maybe the original paint has not taken properly.
Also on the left side by the tank bolt, the paint has worn so you can see the silver cast underneath.
Only used cleaners and degreasers like Muc Off and WD, and the rest of the bike is fine
BMW dealer has said they will sort it, with re paint and replace being the two possible options
Personally I am thinking replace, although that will mean a new frame from the factory, with original chassis number re lazored in, and the dealer then chops the old frame in half and sends back to BMW (so not two frames out there with same chassis)
I know this will be a big job for the dealer, although you want it spot on when spent so much money

Has anyone else had this problem? What did the dealer do for you?

Cheers
Jules

Last edited:
Strange problem, normally you'd only get problems on that part of the frame if you've somehow been scuffing it with your boots, if its not that its odd the paint hasn't taken there but seems ok elsewhere? Personally I'd go for a frame change if possible..

To repaint it properly the frame would have to come off, so to replace it should be less effort.
Think I'd be looking for some carbon frame protectors from Full Six / Conquest Carbon for the new frame ;)

Last edited:
My paint was starting to wear thin were my knee rubs the frame so I fitted carbon frame protectors before it got any worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Jules,

Just an option, but if you'd consider keeping the bike as it is and fitting frame protectors to cover up the paint issue (which look very nice) then you could always ask the dealer if BMW UK would give you a goodwill credit to cover the loss you'll potentially suffer on resale to save them doing the work. They might be up for that as it may be cheaper for them and better for you?

Hi Jules,

Just an option, but if you'd consider keeping the bike as it is and fitting frame protectors to cover up the paint issue (which look very nice) then you could always ask the dealer if BMW UK would give you a goodwill credit to cover the loss you'll potentially suffer on resale to save them doing the work. They might be up for that as it may be cheaper for them and better for you?
I had paint come off my Honda F/Blade (in 2003), I tried to get them to give me ?1000 off a new bike but they declined, so I got them to change the Frame. It must have been a whopping bill for the 2 days work and the cost of the frame.

Jules, go for both ie ask for a goodwill credit first, if that doesnt work have the new frame.

Good luck

Last edited:
Hi

thank you for the reply.
the paint is not a wear issue/ rubbing (as mentioned in other replies) I think the paint is defect.
I am leaning for a full frame change
Carbon protectors good idea, although there wll be the niggle that its faulty underneath and not my doing
cheers
Jules

I had paint come off my Honda F/Blade (in 2003), I tried to get them to give me ?1000 off a new bike but they declined, so I got them to change the Frame. It must have been a whopping bill for the 2 days work and the cost of the frame.

Jules, go for both ie ask for a goodwill credit first, if that doesnt work have the new frame.

Good luck

Thanks it not a wearing problem from boots its a whole area, so am going to request a frame change

Strange problem, normally you'd only get problems on that part of the frame if you've somehow been scuffing it with your boots, if its not that its odd the paint hasn't taken there but seems ok elsewhere? Personally I'd go for a frame change if possible..

Thanks it not a wearing problem from boots its a whole area, so am going to request a frame change

Yep I think that's the stance to take as who's to say the paint won't come off somewhere else in the passage of time if there's been some sort of coating 'issue'. I hope they can get it sorted quickly for you so you don't miss out on our glorious summer weather :cool:

Demo rr bike for the duration of the fix would also have to be part of the deal imo.

I'd try for a replacement bike, as the bike isn't old. How old is it? I'd memory serves me rightly if it less than 3 months old you have a case for a replacement bike or money refund??? That's what it is with cars anyway, as my friend had an sq5 and the gearbox packed in. Dealer told him if it had been less than 3 months old he could of been refunded, but it was nearly 4 months old, so had to get it fixed, then there were more problems after the new box went in.

The bike is just three months old, I have requested a new frame from the dealer. I would love a new bike, especially after my trip to Assen means I have 2,000 miles on it already.

I'd try for a replacement bike, as the bike isn't old. How old is it? I'd memory serves me rightly if it less than 3 months old you have a case for a replacement bike or money refund??? That's what it is with cars anyway, as my friend had an sq5 and the gearbox packed in. Dealer told him if it had been less than 3 months old he could of been refunded, but it was nearly 4 months old, so had to get it fixed, then there were more problems after the new box went in.

I would not let a dealer strip and rebuild as personally I'd have found riding the bike I'd ride it and enjoy it tell them you want a better deal when getting next model . But if you decide to get a new frame I'd get it done over winter months so not without a bike as it will take them ages

They have come back to me, saying that a cleaner has stained the paintwork and they want a detailer to clean the bike.
I have replied with the fact that will not sure the issue of thin paint on the LHS of the bike.
Also the rear brake does not work properly and was not addressed when mentioned at the first service, so ended up going to Assen hoping I did not have to give it the full anchors.
Replied with I wont accept the paint being detailed and once again requested the frame be changed.
Also mentioned that I am not looking to reject the bike, however I will if they do not change the frame.
Understand it is a really long job for the dealer and I am also a bit nervous of them doing it right.
If they do then I want a demo bike for the duration.

Is that a cleaner they reckon you've used?

Last edited:
they say the cleaner has left a residue on the paintwork.
now saying there may be small bubbles in the brake lines that build up over time and caused the poor rear brake
over time?? was there from day one
Is that a cleaner they reckon you've used?

Dealer is doing the usual .... If it was a panel change then you probably wouldn't have a problem but for them to strip and replace the main structure of the bike that is built to "machine" tolerances they are panicking because it is never going to feel right, and they know they are going to have you come back, the bike is never going to feel the same, I had the same with an Audi and leaking roof, and in the end I just went legal, within 3 weeks I had an e-mail asking me what colour I would like the new one in, stick to your guns, it's your money, not theirs and as such you should have what you pay for, it's seems the more you pay sometimes the worse the service gets [emoji35]

Slick mode ... It's the new legal high !!

Dealer is doing the usual .... If it was a panel change then you probably wouldn't have a problem but for them to strip and replace the main structure of the bike that is built to "machine" tolerances they are panicking because it is never going to feel right, and they know they are going to have you come back, the bike is never going to feel the same, I had the same with an Audi and leaking roof, and in the end I just went legal, within 3 weeks I had an e-mail asking me what colour I would like the new one in, stick to your guns, it's your money, not theirs and as such you should have what you pay for, it's seems the more you pay sometimes the worse the service gets [emoji35]

Slick mode ... It's the new legal high !!

Completely agree with this. The GS I had before the RR was hit by a driver at 30MPH whilst I was waiting at a roundabout on the A1M, and the rear frame was badly damaged. It was taken away and repaired, with a new frame being fitted (which took several months to get, get VIN sorted, etc) and was reassembled. Never felt the same after that, and when it went to BMW for a recall they came back with a check sheet full of all sorts of minor oil leaks and problems which hadn't been there beforehand. Only did a couple of hundred miles on the GS in the last year I had it before I sold it, as I just wasn't happy with it after the repair.

Push for a rejection/replacement, if I were you.

Back